What s a biker?

99 Posts | Latest reply on 10/09/2011 09:24:58 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
pistonbroke72's Profile
pistonbroke72

In: Southampton
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

So, what makes a 'gentleman' biker? I've been referred to one as a light-hearted dig and last weekend during a conversation about riding in filthy weather, as in 'we don't do freezing fog, we're gentleman bikers'. What? I just don't get it!? Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

If you ride a bike and motorcycling was banned tomorrow and it didn't feel like you've had your heart ripped out and you just went on to do something else to occupy your mind you ain't no biker.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

surely a true biker is a greasy unshaven long haired yob with dirty fingernails and very big feet who goes round on his scruffy big bike always wearing his oily originals, taking the piss out of the speed limits and rules of the road. if you upset him he'll stick one on you without thinking.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

how do you stop this bludee thing repeating itself                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

maybe individuality epitomised the original meaning of "biker", but appreciation of that doesnt appear to exist any more - who would have thought a "biker" site could remove members for light hearted quips and freedom of expression????                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Whether its a biker site or not surely has nothing to do with it? Unless you are saying that 'bikers' tolerance of profanity and sexually explicit terms on public forums ought to be higher than anyone elses in civilisation?                                                                                                                                                                              
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

If thy eyes offend ye  pluck them out, seems a bit over the top to me like,bikers are very articulate, not mindless thugs,very able to argue the point and put their views forward.Ive always found that, whether arguing about a motorcycle marque or why a certain tyre is their choice.Intelligent articulate resiliant people that choose to follow...to their own limits.. a particular lifestyle or pastime.Although over the years the 'biker' thing has diminished,bros on the road etc. which to me means tolerance of other people has diminished,what they ride what colour leathers they wear etc. So what is a biker?I consider myself a biker,long time standing and not someone who for whatever reason has a sunday run everynow and then, but then thats their choice or circumstance and I respect their choice and still wave/nod/salute them on the road and...... am ignored
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Then surely that is the answer to the question, if they don't nod at others they aren't bikers, they are either Sundy pleasure seekers or commuters that choose to use Motorcycles as their method of transport.   But then that definiton might eliminate some Harley riders and others that do consider themselves as bikers in the truest sense of the word from being so Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

As a long time Harley owner I saw the change in attitudes amongst Harley riders who,if you do not own a 'new' Harley'which was only a couple years after I bought mine with the 'new' style dyna/twin cam came out and aint in HOG cant possibly be worthy,which is why I stopped going to Harley 'festivals'.That attitude crept into dare I say' mainstream' biking now it seems derision and snobbery rule.Its bullshit  but everything changes sometimes not for the better,its all my humble opinion of course,if thats what it is-thats what it is then.I will ride my bike and respect others for doing the same and celebrate the fact new riders are still emerging however difficult they make it for them.Perhaps they are the real bikers who have the determination to carry on to fulfill their dream before others more experienced or even the marketing people wade in to persuade them the nicest people have a honda or whatever and you should have this or need that.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oi i have a Honda... The nicest people DO have Honda's.Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

And i'm sure you made your own informed choice,so should be respected for that choice,not be ignored/ derided for your choice of marque or point of view. Enjoy the Honda.

WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

Confusedam I a biker because I drive a Van ? der nope ! what a stupid thread as for the possers who ride bikes just to look good aint nothing new about that its just become more obviouse due to bikes becoming more of a lesure persuit as appossed to a form of transport but theres allways been the people who have the money to buy bigger flasher faster than" you sonny Jim " who gives a sCensoredt

a bike rider is a biker  doesnt matter what size engine it has coz thats just snobbery !

redzed11's Profile
redzed11

In: Newark

I have been a "biker" 37 yrs to me its not about what you ride or standing there in the latest " label" clothing once a week at local bike meets with bikes that never see rain or winter
 its about getting out there and just enjoying yourself
 maybe its just me but i think there is too much poser in biking these days
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yea but wheelynealy if you were to ask most guys that use bikes simply to commute if they were bikers i can absolutely guarantee you they would adamantly say No! So a biker is someone that defines themselves as such and not what we define them as right?I think we all ought to blame pots, he started all this.Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

being a biker is a state of mind, doesn't matter what you ride,                                                                                                                                                                             
pistonbroke72's Profile
pistonbroke72

In: Southampton

What he said. It's something that's in your system and can't be taken away.                                                                                                                                                                             
IanT1966's Profile
IanT1966

In: Birkenhead
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

to me it's a simple answer: a biker is some one with a love of biking, it doesn't matter what you ride or how you ride it as long as it's your passion.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Personally i'm not to sure you can put it into words Beer                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The more and more I’ve got into riding the more just I love it. The lyrics below from the Doobie Brothers “Dangerous” seem to sum it up for me what it is to be a biker....   Come on over baby got nothin’ to loseWell you never get enough o’ thoseHighway bluesJust another road to freedom and you know thatIt ain’t no crimeCan’t you hear it babyLike thunder I knowLike the magic and the passionOf rock and rollIt’s like a harley motorcycle baby raging out of controlDanger up ahead of youComin’ up behind you tooTurn it to the leftTurn it to the rightNow you twist the throttle upWith all your mightDangerous, that’s why you love itWell you like to drive fast babySlide up right beside me watch theBroken lines fly’cause there’s no one who can catch usJust let anybody give it a tryCan’t you hear it baby like thunder I knowLike the magic and the passion of rock ’n’ rollYou’re a rebel and you know itAnd you’re not afraid to throw it away Dangerous, that’s why you love it                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8594 seconds. There are 570 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption