Visor anti-mist and rain repellent

33 Posts | Latest reply on 19/04/2011 01:30:43 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Last year at the Edinburgh show I purchased 6 pink wax sticks for £20.00, you were supposed to rub on the inside and outside of the visor - then polish off with a cloth.  I have to say it DID NOT work so beware at the shows it is a costly oops Embarrassed I am going to ask if I'm doing anything wrong.  If anyone has this stuff and it works, please tell me what I am doing wrong, thanks Handshake                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Those wax stick demos at the shows are one of the oldest cons in biking!

Sure they work fine whilst the residue on the visor is still waxy.  But as soon as it dries out it stops working and usually because of how thin you have to polish it out to, it dries very quickly indeed!

The people doing the demonstrations get around this problem by repeatedly demonstrating how it works!

Pinlock inserts (and similar) are the only thing that I've ever really had work for me.  They're made from a very clever porous and soft plastic that is designed to absorb moisture.  The downside is you can get reflections at night.                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

You can do the same as the wax stuff by using fairy liquid, just put some on and rub it around till it dries off. Works ok for a short time then reapply.                                                                                                                                                                             
sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay

Fairy liquid is good,also mr shean red tin                                                                                                                                                                              
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

Geoff, I really fell for that con Embarrassed, I bought six to give to some of my mates lol.  Sumo & Wheelbarrow is that fairyliquid inside and outside ?  Infact may have had a blonde moment - wouldn't it go foamy on the outside ?
jabecs's Profile
jabecs

In: London

Katie ... I have the wax stick as well ...Recommended to me by a year round biker so yes he does reapply regularly and he swears by it. He also cleans his visor with fairy liquid then when dry applies the wax stick . I have used it and it has been fine but then i too clean visor with fairy liquid first and reapply wax rgularly maybe that is the secret. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

I bought one of those sticks 12 years ago at ally pally, it never worked, still got it in its container. Always made do with fairy liquid till they invented pin lock [ far superior to fog city]

BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

Harry I'm glad it's not just me lol.  Jabecs I will try both and see how that goes - great tips thank you xx                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Haha @ bobkat, no it doesn't go foamy on the outside. Another good tip when washing your visor is don't have the water too hot, left mine to soak so the flies came off easier and when I rubbed it with a soft cloth the top coating came off. £40 for a new visor lesson learnt. :-)
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

The stand wasn't there this year at the show - I wanted to ask why it wasn't working etc Angry (wasn't really angry LOL) so maybe they have made the dosh and have cut and run .  Not to worry am going to give the washing up liquid a try Thumbs Up  If I do THAT wrong - at least the bubbles will be pretty trailing off my lid and floating away behind the bike Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Red wax works fine for me Kat, when I remember to use it. I also use washing liquid.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Works for us too but then again visors are usually cleaned just before a ride out ...

If you like a nice smell rather than washing up liquid diluted lemon juice works too ... It's also good sprayed on bathroom mirrors to stop them steaming up , and also a little sqirted in corners of the house when cleaning ... Spiders don't like the smell :-)
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

If you like a nice smell rather than washing up liquid diluted lemon juice works too I don't think of lemon as a nice smell Sick   Spiders don't like the smell :-) I don't blame them lol   They dislike citronella so that's probably why they don't like lemon smell.                                                                                                                                                                                 
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

Thumbs Up excellent Sandi - it is my worst fear of a spider in my helmet and it crawling on my face while Im riding, so the lemon idea is great and a few drops of lemon oil inside it, sorted. Sandi your a Star                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

LOL Katie... Sandi hates lemon smell, its me likes it Thumbs Up

Like you I hate spiders, so corners of the house get sprayed as does near the door that connects to the garage so they dont come in LOL

Lemon juice is also good for bringing out the shine in blonde hair Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

Embarrassed oooops a Katie moment again.  I'm am definately going to try that - I live at the edge of a village and we inflated spiders eeeeeeeeek Sick - Thanks Shell Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

You INFLATED spiders ? 

Is that some sort of new sport ? do you use helium gas so they float?
 LOL

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
61% Karma61% Karma 61% Karma61% Karma

i also use washing liquid but when i was in Datona i got some Zooke one which is brilliant stuff, i have the spray and also the wax which comes in a handy little container which you can take with you on your bike, i have been told it's now available in Britain, if you see any give it a try
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Has anybody got top tips what I can clean the lenses of my specs with? Visor wasn't too bad but my goggles were near useless for a couple of minutes. They cleared when I got up to a decent speed, but I'm wobbly enough when I'm setting off without having to peer through grey fog
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Liquid soap of any kind or lemon juice if they do not have any coating on them. 

Both will stop them fogging up (works great on the bathroom mirror to stop it steaming up when your in the shower too)                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 995 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption