leaky leather jacket

35 Posts | Latest reply on 31/07/2009 11:00:28 by jonesie | Go to original / last post
Roaring Ruby's Profile
Roaring Ruby

In: Cardiff
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Littlechick              Leather jacket?  Get on ebay. Just bought myslf VINTAGE leather TT leather..Vintage it looks BRAND NEW..But it did cost me £25..not a typing error  £25. and that was with postage. Being a smaller size u can ge some great bargains!!  I LOVE ebay.....good luckBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

hey thanks RR, i have been having probs signing in to ebay recently,but will persevere!Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

I go for the cheap fix. Regular application of wax furniture polish keeps out the rain.                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

Most material will leak where it's SEWN because of the holes (where the stitching is) so to minimise leaks try to buy garments with less stitching to them.   As for waterproof products to put on I've tried a few and none have worked.  wax for leather boots, sprays for textiles jackets, products I can't remember name of but none of it worked for any of my gear. Soz I'm not much help.                                                                                                                                                                               
petervalk's Profile
petervalk

In: leic

Try your local saddlery or tack shop. Ko.cho.line leather dressing is all i'v used for years it renovates, softens and water-proofs. just put a good coating on and leave for a couple of days for it to soak in. as for textile i use nikwax, leaves it a bit greasy but works. I use it on the tent 2                                                                                                                                                                              
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

ive tried most of the nikwax stuff n none seems 2 wrk                                                                                                                                                                             
jonesie's Profile
jonesie

In: Bristol

I'm going to do some blatant plugging & confess that my company distributes the stuff, but that's because it's the best Approve

Get yourself some Leather Therapy water repellant, which coats the leather with an acrylic polymer mesh which waterproofs it but the leather can still breathe. 

I won't bore you all with a lecture on the leather tanning process but wax or silicone treatments help waterproof but won't do the leather any favours.  I'm at the Llangollen show this weekend with a stand if you are going otherwise a google search should sort you out Thumbs Up

drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

i av googled leather therapy n all the sites that sell it r abroad                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

any decent saddle soap will clean and feed then a good coupla coats of dubbing to help keep the water out.Cheap,easy,readily available and really helps to prolong the life of the leather.It is time consuming,i usually split it over a coupla nights and do it while i'm watching tv.Quite theraputic as well.2 or 3 times a year tend to keep mine in decent nick.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Sorry for jumping in Cassie but dubbin is minging stuff,you must have the patience of a saint as it never completely soaks in.Days of feeding the leather and it still comes off and sticks to everything else.As for the textiles,Fabsil ! Great stuff,looks like milk when you apply it but doesnt stain or anything ! Kept my kit waterproof for years.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

drobs, i have a two peice leathers, but decided to wear a textile jackey, which i found more comfortable, i bought a heine gericke one, its grat, removable inner lining, all the pockets you need ( including mobile phone holder....of course ), it was about 150 quid, try it on when ya next round mine.
jonesie's Profile
jonesie

Saddle Soap isn't good stuff for saddles or bike leather.  Leather is tanned using acid & soap is alkaline so the difference in pH can weaken the structure of leather over time.  Plus soap should be rinsed off, just like you would on your skin rtaher than rubbed in & left & glycerine is a real PITA to get out of stitching.  It doens't condition the leather really either. 

Dubbin would waterproof but must make your leathers slimy & sticky?!

Drobess the website is leathertherapy .co .uk (without the spaces)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

never had a problem with slimy leathers,as i said time consuming(loads of buffing)but i find it worthwhile.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

I find it odd that some swear by a product that others say is the pits, is it possible that the LEATHER/TEXTILE we're applying the product to is DIFFERENT therefore giving different results?                                                                                                                                                                                 
jonesie's Profile
jonesie

Don't know about textiles but there are different ways of tanning leather (vegetable vs chrome) which can affect how it responds to treatment (& how good it is, choose vegetable tanning!) & some leather is supplied pre-treated with a wax to seal it & protect it whilst sat on the shop shelves etc.  Unless you strip the wax off, putting conditioner on just results in it sat on the surface. 

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5781 seconds. There are 1039 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption