Day 1 - failure

27 Posts | Latest reply on 27/11/2008 11:08:52 by prof | Go to original / last post
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

ok, so I figured, it's not that bad a day today round here, so lets take the bike out for her first (& mine) ride.   Sooo, got her out the garage & nicely warmed up. Got myself all kitted out, got the high viz on etc. Made sure I had me cigs & phone!   Got on, into first & ready to set off.   Now, what you have to bear in mind is that my drive is on an adverse camber, once off the drive you have to turn immediate right to go  up a very steep close (only about 10 yards) to the main road)   So, I'm there in first, slightly nervous. slowly off the clutch & hope to start moving (I have remembered to put the side stand up!). What I have now discovered is that on this bike, the clutch needs to be let out quite a way for her to start moving (think am gonna have to adjust this!!) so am sat there waiting & then she bites  - I slowly set off, but a tad too slow to get her actually off the drive, so instead of giving her a bit more revs I went into the newbie panic mode of break & feet down, only to find (remember the para above) that the drive is lower down than I really wanted it to be................. .........so down we both go! I then notice the little nobbly bit that usualy is on the end of the clutch lever trickling it's way down the drive....bugger thinks I. However, no problem, the lever is still there & there's nothing else damaged!   So, the next thing, pick her up & start again!............. ...........easier said than down - SHE'S EFFING HEAVY!!!!!! & also being still on the adverse camber, trying to heave her up & get her onto the side stand was a nightmare. OK thinks I, don't give up, just get her onto the level bit of the drive & start again! OH NO thinks she!! it's now taken me over half an hour to try & manouver her onto the level bit (she'd taken a liking to the adverse camber by now & wanted to get back there at every opportunity!!!) Am in a mega sweat at this point, my arms & legs are wobbling with the strain (I really need to get to the gym & get some weights done if I have to battle with her again!!!) Luckily though none of the other residents of the close are in, so I don't have an audience thank god! By this time, I'm wanting to bitch slap her & show her who's boss. But am also thinking fug it! So, I manage to manhandle her back into the garage.   So for today she's won the battle, BUT SHE WILL NOT WIN THE WAR!!!!   I think what I really need is for someone to take me to a nice quiet industrial estate so's I can get the handle of her & get used to the clutch etc etc etc & beat her into submission.........   Does anyone know if there's a Bike whisperer around? Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Herne's Profile
Herne

In: Dewsbury

LOL awww am sorry for laughing but you put it into words so beautifully.......am sure it has happened to most of us at some time or other.......last year it was blowing a gale and I was just returning home from work on the thundercat, and then I didnt have a garage so I goes up the garden path with her and because the wind was so strong I thought ...will try and get her up the step into the front hallway.......got up the step and then discovered handlebars would not fit through door....shoot I also discovered my feet wouldn't touch floor being on the step so over the bike goes with me underneath..........no way could I lift that so I lay there for an hour and a half shouting help at the top of my voice.....no bugger would come altho I could see a neighbour looking through their window at me. Anyways hon I jhope you get it sorted.                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

thanks Herne - my philosophy is that if you can't laugh at yourself then who can you laugh at!....however, am now aching & wondering what I've let myself in for !!! Big smile I can see the bl**dy thing not getting any farther than the end of the drive!.....SHE WILL NOT DEFEAT ME!!!! I must keep remembering to say that to meself!   So next lesson to remember - DO NOT TRY & TAKE A BIKE UP STEPS!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Herne's Profile
Herne

She's prob laughing at you hon ..who knows what they can do...well herbie had a mind of his own didn't he LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

hahahahah  -put it this way Herne, I am NOT gonna call her Christine!!! ......(Stephen King Book/film for those not in the know!)                                                                                                                                                                             
Herne's Profile
Herne

LOL it is strange tho isn't it how sometimes they do seem to respond to how you treat em or speak to em..for instance at 5am yesterday I went to garge to get bike out to go to work....sh*t battery flat.....lots of swearing at bike cos I really had to get to work and theres no buses to where I needed to be......so tries to start her again..no chance...she made a low moaning sound and give up the ghost...by this time I was panicking cos I am usually the one who unlocks everything at work and sets the alarm etc. so after having taken some deep breaths and calmed down I proceeded to kneel on the floor before the bike...I kid you not....and pleaded with her saying I would give her such a good polish when I finished work......I pushed the starter and yaaaah she burst into life.
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

That's not failure HFG!

That's learning loads of hard lessons, the really hard way, so you get 'em all out the way at once and next time, it'll be a breeze ;o) The important thing is, you heaved her up and managed to get her back into the garage... You haven't given up. Many do!

I prescribe a nice hot radox bath and lots of bicep/tricep massaging.

Meanwhile, start hassling everyone you know with a bike within a 50 mile radius to take you out next available opportunity. You're a FFS girl FFS! They OWE it to you! ;o)

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

So it is not only me that is having bike starting problems!   i wont get the bike out unless she fires in the shed, i have a huge ramp up to the shed and if she didnt start there is no way i could push her back into her home, its probably a 40 degree slope.   I know exactly where you are coming from with picking the bike, up, i dropped the ZZR one time as i hadnt got the sidestand down properly and couldnt pick her up.  I used to be able to but since the accidents knackering up my shoulders i dont have the strength.                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

awwwww Stella..... im gutted for u !  Wudda been a perfect day to get out for a ride today .. but never mind.. now u know how heavy she is and how she likes the camber on yr drive..lol Next time you will be more prepared..sounds like a nightmare havin a steep climb outta yr close...luckily im on a flat..but i'm more bothered abart all the kids on the street rippin the pish outta me .. heheheh ...Will face that one WHEN i gets a bike !  lol   Is there any chance u could just ride it up n down yr drive or round yr garden?  I'm just thinking so that u cud get used to the clutch.  That was one of my main probs..gettin the biting point just rite... then Dave ( from the school ) showed me how to find it..kept holdin my hand under his..and messin wiv the clutch till i got it spot on.   Also..if u get someone to ride to an Ind Est wiv u.. you've still gotta get it there first..ant ya?   keep practising...and NO..SHE WINT GET THE BETTER OF U !!  Thumbs Up   My mate had a Christine Car... it wud lock all the doors as she was driving...then it wud put interior light on.. sumtimes the drivers door wuddent open,,,she hadta cimb out the passenger side.. it was well freaky..   she sold it (Mondeo) and got a newish Focus..had it abart 8mnths...and jus the other week...the door locked itself....,,mine does it automatically abart 5 mins inta driving off... but hers NEVER does...usually...... oooooooerrrrrrr.....Christines back!!!!!!!    lol                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

It happens to us all ..... nowt embarrassing about it. I dropped mine in the Cat & Fiddle car park after missing my footing whilst paddling it back into a space ...... and the car park was totally packed!!   The disadvantage was of course loads of people seeing me topple over.  The advantage was of course loads of people to help me lift the big CB back up again!                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

ive done it too  in the pub car park, they must be accident blackspots! it was the same thing, too heavy handed with the front break so now if i get the chance i try to only use the back brake or none at all,just so that i know the limitations of the bike but good on ya for picking it up yourself! dont think i could have picked my 125 up!
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

we,ve all done it lass-nowt to worry about-twice myself with TDM practicing on car park- clutch lever nobble pinged off(same as yours)& brake lever bent out second time...hold handlebar & under seat best points for an even lift...always try to remember easy with that front brake(that was my downfall-twice!)Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

hfg, just read wot happened, ad me in stitches, u av such a way wiv words, dont give up tho, ridin is just the best                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Yeah, been there, done that, and in the pub car park too, just like everyone else! Even done it in Tesco car park when I left the disc lock on (oh, the shame) and was helped my Mr White Van Man who rode a Blade.
Believe me, no-one thinks the worse of you. It's just part of the biking experience.
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Kaz, I wouldn't be worried about a 'Christine' bike. But have you ever seen I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle?
Now that's really scary.                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

No Wills.... not sure I want to......Confused   lol                                                                                                                                                                              
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

Dave holding your hand an helping you to find it!!!!! oh yeah!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Vampire Motorcycle! Hehehe!

Brings back memories - it's got Neil Morrissey in it, from his "Rocky" days on "Boone"! ;o)

Very silly indeed :o)                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

Dave holding your hand an helping you to find it!!!!! oh yeah!!!   TM...if yr referrin to my CBT post....OH YEHHHHHHHH !! heheh it was purely from a professional instructor point of view.. if only he was my type..then i mite have taken just a bit longer to get the hang of it Wink    Awww I mite watch that then, Lou.  I liked him in Boone ..lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Scuse me Mister, I think I've got a bomb on me bike!

*chortles*

Boone was quality!

It's a VERY silly movie. I'm not sure if I still have it... might have it on VHS somewhere. It's yours if I unearth it during my clear-up this week ;o)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7500 seconds. There are 1511 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption