advise needed ........

33 Posts | Latest reply on 07/07/2008 18:55:12 by eddietheardvark | Go to original / last post
nina's Profile
nina

In: Barnsley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm thinking about my bike test this year .....  those that have met me know how i am vertically challenged (so no comments plz lol ) what i need advise on is    suggestions on what bike is best to be lowered , it will need to be quite drastic not just seat cut out                                                                                                                                                                              
Karey's Profile
Karey

Hey fellow tyke have you done yr CBT? I'm really wanting to do my CBT/DAS this year.   I was thinking about 2WT training..have u heard of them? Or know anyone else?   I too wud need a lowered bike..   haha  x                                                                                                                                                                                 
Scary's Profile
Scary

In: Somerset

Hi Nina, I'm having the same problem, I think cruisers seem to be the best option although a friend of mine who is only 4'11" manages on a baby bandit quite comfortably. I think the best idea is to go around the dealers and sit on as many bikes as you can.                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Nina didn't Andy help you sort the seat height on your bike?   The *Kawasaki Eliminator (250cc) that I have is pretty low down in the saddle, my inside leg measurement is 28", so I'm assuming Kwak do a 125 in the same/similar height, unless it's a bigger CC bike you're after for after you pass your test, so maybe they do a 500, or above, with low seat.   (*It's for sale if anyone is SERIOUSLY interested. I've lost count of the folk who have said they are deffo interested then nothing comes of it, not even a brief note to say they have changed their mind)    Scary gave good advice tho, it really is a case of try em for size. I always wanted an on/off roader but most I sat on were too high in the saddle for me, I ended up with a Honda CM (baby cruiser) then years later I sat on a on/offy and it was ok for me. Perhaps the manufacturers are wising up that we're not all long-legged folk.   For info on bikes get a copy of the USED BIKE GUIDE, it has specs of loads of bikes including the seat heights.   Good luck with your test Nina.                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Scary's advise is the best really - spend some time going around and just trying them.   Thing is, it isn't just about the seat height, it's also about how wide the seat is, how comfortable you find the riding position etc etc and the only way to find out is to try 'em.   If you need an experienced (???) eye, then I'd be happy to go round some dealers with you (just an excuse to have a closer look at yer bum to be honest).                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Speedy Claire, who's about 5ft 3, bought an SV650 a while back and she thinks its the dog's wotsits, best bike she's ever had, etc. I know she had it lowered, and if you PM her I know she'll fill you in with the details. Just a thought, but really Geoff's advice is the best, to try out as many as you can. For example, an early Guzzi Le Mans is well-suited to a shorther rider and looks dead sexy to my eyes, but only consider one if you've got HGV experience!! If you're into the classic scene Honda 400/4s are going for more sensible prices now ansd are good for those short in the inside leg. Might be a bit far for you, but Woods in Abergele have a good reputation for being helpful to women riders.   Best of luck anyway                                                                                                                                                                             
nina's Profile
nina

thank you  every1 .....  Scarey  my problem with the low riders are the width of the seat so what i lose in height i gain with width so no better .... kwak   no Andy didnt sort bike out .....   Geoff any excuse mate eh Wink   i've sat on a few   but when u start asking dealers if this bike can be lowered ?   you get ohhh yea deffinately .... but the ask them how    they dunno !!!!   on average i will need to bike to be lowered about 4"    minium thats when u start messing with the bikes dynamics , just to get my tippy toe down might be easier to stick to the 125  plus its already lowered  ....LOL   Fellow tyke we've a few around here u can do ur cbt on  depends how quick u want it doing hun    let me no & i'll tell u   Thanks every1   again                                                                                                                                                                              
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

a specialy designed thinner seat will lower it about a coupla inches!!if they make one for the modell harleys an triumphs do thinner seats                                                                                                                                                                              
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Just about all of the Honda 400cc bikes (CBR,VFR,CB) can all be managed by Hobbits.   Also any cruiser will be ok and as they have their centre of gravity lower they are very easy to get on with regardless of experiance.(you may also find they are way cheaper to run and insure too)   Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki GPZ500 are both managable and light.                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
34% Karma34% Karma 34% Karma34% Karma

I know its american, but it may be of some use - http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionTwoB.htm                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
34% Karma34% Karma 34% Karma34% Karma

Nina, drop me a pm this evening and we'll have a natter Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
nina's Profile
nina

Hobbits     what ever do you mean GH     lol   i am noticing that the 400's are alot more expensive !    will do DC                                                                                                                                                                                
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

I find that the bigger the CC the HEAVIER the bike and when you've got short legs it doesn't help having a heavier bike.  I guess it doesn't bother some folk cos I've seen 'short stops' riding heavy bikes, they couldn't get their feet to the floor tho, and they struggled to move the bike when the engine was off, and for me it's important to be able to put my feet to the floor.                                                                                                                                                                              
nina's Profile
nina

same here   kwak mine arent fully on the ground on the 125  but  comfortable  with it  wouldnt want any less  foot down tho , yea bigger the cc more weight thats another consideration                                                                                                                                                                                
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

have u tried tie wrapping wooden blocks to ya feet nina, that might work ! lol  xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

lol GIXXER DAVEY.. when i learnt to drive a car... (many moons ago).. my instructor put a block of wood under the pedals for me, cos my heel wouldn't touch the floor !  LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
nina's Profile
nina

same here  karey    ,  & gixxerdavey will u lend me your wooden blocks   plz plz  ......LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i'l find them out 4 u nina, mean time there will always be a place on top of gixxer 4 ya ...... LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
nina's Profile
nina

thanks for your offer Davey ......... will keep your offer in mind over the weekend     pmsl                                                                                                                                                                                     
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ok , will be nice to do it again ! lol                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 1020 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption