NEW FEATURE: Forums v2

77 Posts | Latest reply on 24/11/2016 21:43:35 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Hi all!

So this week I've been working on renewing the forum pages, something I've wanted to do for a  while.
Link: https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/search.asp

I've started by combining the forum categories + topics + active topics + search pages all into 1 nice clean interface, which is also mobile-friendly.

It's not yet perfect, plenty buggy enough, but I'd like to throw it out to you guys now to take a look at and give me some feedback on (good and bad).  In any case it's an improvement over what we now have lol.

Thanks!

Matt                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

You can also hide the search bar, handy on your mobile phone if using a small display. Some items automatically disappear also when using a smaller screen.

It should also be very fast, each search taking approximately 1 second to complete (even when searching for multiple items of text within a time-frame)

An extra search criteria I added was "my posts" which will show you all the topics that you have posted in (and allows you to search with text within your posts)                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Am sure a few of us can try to break it lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Hi Matt
Each icon I clicked on worked, and fast.
I don't understand the categories part, standard, none, all. Would you explain that please?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ok no problem.  Thanks for testing.

All = All categories are selected.
None = No categories selected.
Standard = All minus general chat, birthdays, jokes                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Now changed the links to all point to the new search.
The old "Categories", "Topics", "Active topics" and "search" pages have now been replaced.

Part 2 coming up this week: New "Posts" display.                                                                                                                                                                             
916gaz's Profile
916gaz

In: huddersfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I like it , very easy to use                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Wow, looks different, but easy to use                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Just one point tho, can't see chat unless you pick a forum.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I'll give more info about the chatroom shortly.  I'm considering turning it off until I can make it more mobile-friendly (which shouldn't take too long).  It's not really functional anymore as more and more people use BM from their mobiles.

Also when it's quiet it looks bad on the site                                                                                                                                                                             
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

I was looking at the old familiar forums pages earlier and have just got in from work to be confronted by the new style forums. I must admit I was a bit confused for a bit but after only 10 mins managed to navigate my way around.

66                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Thanks Matt.

jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

I don't like it,but will persevere for today,if i can't get the hang then i'll stop posting...:(>                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

Took me A WHOLE 28 minutes to get used to the new format...hope i'll get a discount on next lot of subs...:)> .....heavy sigh.                                                                                                                                                                             
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

when chats quiet just means folk are bizy not a problem
probly beter if chat was at top of list perment                                                                                                                                                                             
TheSlasher's Profile
TheSlasher

In: chesterfield
30% Karma30% Karma 30% Karma30% Karma

If chat doesn't appear on top of the page maybe introduce a chat button somewhere so it's easier to enter else the chat room will be even more deserted?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Jinx, I'm really interested to know what took so long to understand.  Are you using your phone or a PC?

Surely it's obvious... you select the categories at the top (green = included, red = removed) and the results below show you all the topics in the selected forums.

And then there's some filters which are also self-explanatory... filter the results by last post date (so remove old topics), enter a keyword if you want to search for some text, tick a box if you only want to see topics that you have previously posted in, and select how many topics you want to be shown per page.

I honestly did my best to put everything together on one page and keep it user-friendly.  I'm really bummed now hearing that it took you so long to understand it - it means I've done something wrong, and I really need to know what.

Someone find JP, he's my ultimate test lol                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

it's filtering through now...i'm on a pc doing this ,so it seems i really am a dim duffer...just got so used to the old formatt,matt..i'll cope somehow...hahhahhahahh                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

LOL

rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

have to say the only thing I don't like is not being able to see chat unless I'm in a thread.   I understand that it may make the site look quiet if its at the top, but equally you can't see whose in there if you fancy a chat.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8145 seconds. There are 631 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption