Advice for Pillys Please

33 Posts | Latest reply on 22/09/2016 05:47:57 by Scarecrow | Go to original / last post
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

all ways were a helmet

only one pilly at a time please 
were the rite gear 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hmmm . . . 
As a long standing Pilly, I find it essential to ask the rider how they want me!!! To lean, or not to lean, that is the question.

Everyone's different, and they all have their little foibles.  (I don't hang on to the rider though).  I see it as their job to ride, and mine to sit back, shut up*, and do as I am told. . . which has included map reading, paying the toll, asking directions and getting a round in!!

* I do like to sing though . . .                                                                                                                                                                             
Noangel1977's Profile
Noangel1977

In: Nottingham

Be prepared not to see much! It really is about feel. Much as I love riding, being in control myself - sometimes being pillion is just pure laziness as let go of everything and just feel the bike. :)
My ex regularly had to check back with his hand, make sure he hadn't lost me as I just let his riding guide how much i should lean etc. and as everyone says, close your eyes on corners!!!

Kplm adventure's Profile
Kplm adventure

In: Alford Scotland
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Goodness lots of advice it's interesting to hear other pillion opinions, as others have said.
The shutting the eye thing on corners it's either that or look round the corner and not over the cliff edge as I found out this weekend, I don't mean look over the rider by bobbing your head round, as in basic bike training look where the bike should be going. If not the driver will have to literally heave the bike round the corner or worse you'll end up in the opposite side of the road.
You definitely have to go with the bike not fight it, relax, if your relaxed it makes for smooth riding, though floppy is not good either
:-)
I'm very old fashioned and only a single girl gets on as my pillion (unless with express permission sought by me from partner) as causes issues.
Waist grabbing well at least the intentions nice, getting on and off just ask or wait for the nod please girls. I was getting fuel on a brand new BMW RT 1200 and my long term pillion (best ever and wife at the time) hurled herself off the bike, resulting in me being pinned under the bike, with multiple bruising, it took four guys to lift the bike with full panniers.
Junctions and wobbles don't match especially at a junction with an incline.

If a pillion offered tea/coffee bacon butties that'd be great of course always welcomed.
Comms are the way to go it makes such a big difference, they are very cheap on the net, signals are good.
Pillion, us riders do care and being warm and safe is a priority;
your our responsibility.

Oh going for a pee at stops just before you leave and have fuelled bike and your tummy make for more enjoyable riding.

Extra clothes such as a fleece, removable jacket liner, waterproof gloves are essential for touring and even those short days in the uk.

Happy riding :-)??
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

Just sit still,and enjoy the world sliding by...:)                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

I'm curious to know how many male riders have gone pillion, and what was your experience of it?                                                                                                                                                                              
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley

Went pillion from childhood into my teens,hated it more and more until i got my first field bike,been a poor pillion ever since....think it's a 'control' thing tbh...:)                                                                                                                                                                             
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

In: benfleet essex

the  best  pillion   ive ever had  was a large  sack  of  potatoes  ..  the said  sack  did  nothing  because  it  wasn't  living  ,,  it  didn't  think  about  leaning  with  the rider or  with  the  bike  , it  did  nothing  it  just  sat  there  .. it  didn't  fight  the  corners just  incase the  bike fell  over  it  did  nothing  ,,  so  girls  and  boys  to  start  with  , just  be  a  non living  sack  of  potatoes  ,, 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

funny that buzz...thats exactly what i tell virgin pillions, just sit there like a sack of spuds.                                                                                                                                                                             
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

In: benfleet essex

some  ppl   over think  and  over explain  and  over complicate  things ,  KISS  ..  :)   NICE  ONE  STUIE

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

It has been noted by several folk that Mr Ken needs a medal having me a a pilly as i dont sit still lol                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

And you wonder why he has a dicky ticker

Scarecrow's Profile
Scarecrow

In: Droitwich

I pilly on the back of a lady rider now & then. I think riders should be a pilly for themselves so they know what its like. When I take a pilly regardless of experience I always go slow with very gentle acceleration  / braking until they get an idea how the ride will progress, once I know they are comfortable then the volume control gets wound back a little more.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5469 seconds. There are 598 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption