Advice for Pillys Please

33 Posts | Latest reply on 22/09/2016 05:47:57 by Scarecrow | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

I get regular messages from folk who are novice Pillys asking for advice on what to do and what not to do.  There is always a wee bit of apprehension as to if i do it wrong they will never offer again or i could cause problems by doing something specific.

I have always gone down the path of telling them to be up front and honest about their lack of experiene and ask the person offering a pilly for some basic advice.

According to Mr Ken me dancing, singing, eating ice cream, texting and falling asleep are all par for the course now lol ....... i class myself as a horrendous Pilly to be honest.

So come on folks if you have some constructive advice, please share :)
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Offer to buy the cakes or ice creams or bacon butty, depending on destination.  The rest you can work on.

It's basically get on and off when the riders ready. Lean with the bike, no hand signals and no sudden big movements. Don't fall off.

Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Only 2 things that put me on edge with a pillion is being head butted in the back of the nut when accelerating or braking and having a pillion fighting me and the bike when cornering.                                                                                                                                                                             
Morseman's Profile
Morseman

In: Chesterfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Be a pilly on a trike.  Problems solved. :-)                                                                                                                                                                              
Joey05's Profile
Joey05

In: Preston

Just go with the bike, try to relax and don't cling onto the rider (unless they ask!!)
Enjoy - it's a great feeling                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

http://www.bikesonshow.com/content/how-be-good-pillion-passenger

Smile

dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Close your eyes on corners.
hold the grab handles not me.
Don't wee on my back seat.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Keep your tongue behind your teeth, was the first bit of advice I got lol.
Work out any hand signals before you set off, such as emergency stop (if you suddenly develop cramp, etc) and loo stop.
Concentrate on the ride, not the scenery, it makes for a smoother journey.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

If you both are travelling at 100mph+ do NOT try to lean outward or look over driver's shoulder to see where you are going Wink

If you are nervous about travelling at high speeds let the driver know, and if you are too nervous about it all, well then being on a bike is maybe not for you.

Make sure you have warm and protective clothing on, you have no idea how cold it can get even after just 5 miles or so on the bike.

Enjoy it, there loads to be said for not having to drive your own bike for a change Smile

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

All good advice.   When going pillion with someone new I always arrange 2 signals, 1 for 'i'm ready for a stop but no rush' and the 2nd is 'emergency, stop as fast as safely possible'.   Normally it's not possible to talk so be prepared !    I know the importance of these signals, riding in India with my ex, and I started to feel very ill.   We had no signals arranged.   He misheard me asking him to stop .....    result .....  I feinted on the back of the bike and took us down.   Fortunately neither of us were injured bar a few grazes and the bike was fine.    It was a lesson I will never forget !   Did it put me off being a pillion, definitely not.
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Oh I forgot one, Scream if you want to go faster!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I work out a signal like a tap on the leg before setting off so if there not happy we can sort it out.

Every rider is differnt but I like a pillion to act as part of the bike IE don't try to steer, preempt what I'm about to do and for gods sake what every they don't try and sit up right through the corners.

If there not happy with leaning through the bends I advise they close there eyes as they they tend to sit still and get used to feel. It works!

Maybe leaning forward a little when accelerating and back a little when braking hard. Hold on how ever you like as long as it's not trying to grab a handful of coat that always ends in your hand slipping.

It's a two way thing to, the rider should find out before setting off what the pillion is happy with.

If you as a pillion feel you don't trust the rider, then get off the bike. There is nothing worse than an inexperience pillion on the back of a bike with some one who is trying to show off, that's how accidents happen.

And above all enjoy your self. At the end of the day that's why your on a bike.
Ducati_Steve's Profile
Ducati_Steve

In: Chepstow

Don't get on or off until I'm ready
Be a sack of potatoes.
Hold on tight... Unless you're a dude, then grip the sissy rails as hard as you like! :-D                                                                                                                                                                             
Ducati_Steve's Profile
Ducati_Steve

In: Chepstow

Actually the best thing you can do for a regular pilly is buy an intercom set!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Being hard of hearing I prefer the signals.                                                                                                                                                                             
chopperray1's Profile
chopperray1

In: HEXHAM

Just hold tight and enjoy,keep your feet on the footrests and watch out for bugs when i dodge them.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Thanks folk, some useful tips here :)                                                                                                                                                                              
Vampyminx's Profile
Vampyminx

In: Manchester

emzed he forgets im on the back sometimes haha i just leanwith the bike and wait to be told when to  get on and get off :D i love being on the back tho i do miss my own bike haha x                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

And most important ..dont put your big muddy size 9,s on my nice lovely seat when you get off! ;)                                                                                                                                                                             
FireStorm-X's Profile
FireStorm-X

In: Wigan

When taking a new pilly for the first time, the rider must trust the pilly and the pilly must trust the rider.

Pilly should only get on or off the bike, when the rider asks them to (when they are ready and in control of the bike). Also do not move around while bike is slowing down to stop. If you need to reposition yourself signal the rider :)

Sort out some simple signals so you can communicate, while on the ride.

Also make sure the rider and pilly are ok with the riding method for the days ride, not all Pillys love going fast lol.

Last but not lest Enjoy the ride out , be safe and come back again :)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7969 seconds. There are 732 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption