Scottoiler again

22 Posts | Latest reply on 30/12/2014 20:34:17 by xj | Go to original / last post
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

For the last 20+years I've only had shaft drives bikes because I hated doing chain maintenance, until I bought a Triumph and now the chain on my Tiger needs replacing and I'm thinking about getting a Scottoiler for the bike, but have no idea on if they are any good.
Someone told me that they didn't need to adjust their chain in 1,000 miles, then another person said they clog up.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Its all down to getting it set up right if its too high it dumps the lot if its too low it dont work.
Hope that helps lol

Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

With that answer I'm still sitting on the fence. lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

They work brilliantly and would not have a chain drive without one.
Chain adjustment is usually done when I change the tyres!
Had my first one on a RF900 many years back, chain lasted 30k miles and was still going fine when I sold it.
Tiger 885 ditto.
TDM 900 lasted 30k too, second chain still fine when I sold the bike at 40k.
Current bike Tiger 1050, 20k miles and chain good. Tyres lasting 5 to 6k On the Tiger and no need to adjust the chain between tyres.
I can't rate them highly enough.
Don't bother with twin feeds though, it just clogged up on the inside but that might be just me or the fact it was rubbing on the sprocket!
The oil in the standard reservoir usually last 500 miles, but that depends on the weather - in the wet you might need to turn it up.
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

My bad memories go back to the 80's dispatching a Honda CB250RS and replacing the chain every six weeks, that's when I bought aCX500 and thought F?$@ these chains                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

When i was dispatching and i had a bike with a chain i had a scottoiler or rigged up something similar.

For example my old vfr750 would eat a chain and sprockets in 20,000 miles with out and with an oiler they would last about 60,000 miles.

The only down side is they make a little mess. If its set up right its not a big issue.

If i ever own another bike with a chain (which i doubt!) then it will have an oiler.                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

I like my Tiger and like most blokes at one time or another, we get Pussy Stuck.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'm a scottoiler fan, and have the electric version on my Varadero. 

It doesn't excuse you from cleaning the chain regularly though, or pretty soon you're just dripping oil onto dirt and it's not going to penetrate the filth and reach the chain where it's actually needed.                                                                                                                                                                             
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

do it right withoil can 
chain and cogs will do 35000 pluss                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

The main problem I have with doing it manually Havfun is, er,doing it!
An automatic oiler is pretty much fit and forget which is right for an idle sod like me.
It only takes 500 miles of dry chain to knacker it. A long camping weekend can easily hit that let alone a weeks holiday.
I know theoretically I could clean/oil the chain at the campsite or hotel but when the bar is calling....
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

only trouble with fit and forget is
you forget to fill it up
same as the two stroke bikes with seperate oil tank
they rembered about feeding it fuel and il do the oil tank at weekend
they were two buizzy riding them untill the squeeeking stop sound
you got the oh dam i forgot to do that again

oh the joys of working in a bike shop                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

i,d go for a scottoiler there brilliant,                                                                                                                                                                              
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Scotoiler all the way. Set up right it lasts ages, no fuss, little mess and you don't ruin your manicure!                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

There you go chris. You know what you are like about your nails.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

scot oilers a good bit of kit, but just another option my mates got one of these on his VFR 750 and rates it very highly.      

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTORO-AUTO-Fully-Automatic-motorcycle-chain-oiler-/161408753932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2594b6210c
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

Thanks all for the advice. It was rowanblossom who really sold me on the idea with no more manky nails. I bought a touring one today so even lest time mucking about with the chain and more time in the pub with the likes of Steve H.
And XJ I know how jealous you are of my lovely manicured nails.                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Always happy to help :-)                                                                                                                                                                              
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Scot oiler fan for 30 years.
If you run a bit of the clear tubing in clear site. Ya can spot when a topup is due.
I keep a small oil btl under mi seat.
Any oil on your bike will wipe off with a baby wipe.                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Lad's Profile
Big Lad

In: Hartlepool
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Scotoiler worth every penny(especially when gotal injector free) fitted one to my Tiger 1050 last year main body fitted snuggly under seat chain seemed to need less adjustment also after fitting it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

A Scottoiler now fitted on the bike. Thanks everyone.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 1385 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption