Slow Control

54 Posts | Latest reply on 05/05/2013 12:09:19 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hello everybody!

Is it just me or is slow control super difficult for a newbie to get to grips with?  I've been riding for about a month now, usually 3-4 times a week for about an hour so still very inexperienced but I actually feel more comfortable (and balanced!) at 30mph than I do at say 5-10mph.  When in very slow moving traffic I am trying to use clutch control to keep the bike moving slowly, and using my rear brake only around slow bends (for example when turning) but I'm still finding that whole clutch-throttle-rear brake combination a bit of a head spin!  Any tips at all?

Cheers guys!

Nikki xx
justjerry's Profile
justjerry

In: The Lizard
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

Slow riding's hard for us all, don't think you're alone in this.
I've been riding for 25 years and still have some moments at low speeds!!

Essentially riding a bike is about controlling centrifugal forces, one from each wheel and one from the engine.
The best trick is to keep some revs on...  not excessively so, but enough for the engine to generate a centrifugal force...  about 2500-3000 rpm should do the trick.
This will help keep the bike upright for you. 
Then as you rightly say, it's all clutch control and rear brake.
I guess it's all practice-practice-practice to master it.

Keep trying and you'll get there  Smile

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

if all else fails just fall off with style I do lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Just think of it like you are pulling away but you're doing it in  s l o w  m o t i o n                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

There is a "trick" or "technique" that you need to learn to get your slow riding to a comfortable stage   Basically, trying to keep the bike stable at low speeds when the centrifugal forces are not at their "optimum" will require a lot of skill and practice if you are only relying on throttle and clutch control   This is due to "time lag"   By the time your brain has recognised that you need more throttle or less speed it's often too late apply either, bearing in mind how long the engine takes to respond   What you need to do is give the bike enough throttle to keep the bike moving and "pulling", whilst "holding it back" by applying pressure on the rear brake   Then if you need a little more speed you can release the brake and the bike will start to "pull" instantly   Likewise, if you are going a bit too fast you can apply more brake (without backing off the throttle) this will slow the bike down   Care will be needed with the latter, to avoid "stalling" the engine, so be ready with the clutch in order to avoid this    With a bit of practice you will soon get the idea and be able to ride safely and comfortably at speeds down to "walking pace"   From what you've said you are already doing this on "slow bends" but I wouldn't recommend it at anything other than very low speeds   If you are having to use the rear brake "in a corner" then you have arrived too fast   Try to slow down and gear down "before" the bend and accelerate through and out of it gradually   A bike is much more stable when it's accelerating, providing you dont do it too harshly whilst you are at extreme angles of lean, when you risk losing traction at the rear wheel   No doubt there will be some who disagree with my method but it was what I taught ALL my pupils when I was instructing   They all found it much easier to negotiate the figure eights and cones on the old part 1 test   I hope this helps and wish you many happy hours and miles on whatever bike you ride   & JP .............. "style" is always important LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

NikkiD I mainly use only the clutch all the time in slow moving traffic, just let it out a bit at a time til it bites then in again to stop, and slight movement on throttle....easy and slowly does it to keep you creeping forward. I actually don't go near my back brake at all in slow traffic, my fingers hover over the front brake ready to use it if I need to.    If cars behind you are impatient..... sod em....let em wait, don't let them rush you.   Honestly your best bet is to go into an empty carpark and practice practice practice, a good way of learning slow control very rapidly (as I did) is to do figure of 8s or u-turns.   Emzed is correct about the revving and holding back with the brake at same time, thats how I learned to pull away from junctions without stalling....and to master slow control too....   You perhaps even should get someone to show you as no matter how much advice you get on here the best way to master it is by going out and doing it.   Let us know how you get on :)                                                                                                                                                                             
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Yup  i use the LuLu method too. Works for me.    Not tried the JP stylish dismount yet but........................                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I nearly did JPs style VF lol    Went a bit too slow on my first couple figure 8s and wee bike nearly went over so speed is important on turning to keep the bike upright for sure LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

Lulu and VFR you'll both have a good chance to follow JP's unscheduled dismount if you pull just a tiny bit on the front brake while riding slowly, the front brake can be to powerful for slow riding and the right hand as two jobs to do, Throttle and front brake but never at the same time. If your fingers are covering the front brake you don't have full control of the throttle.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yeah I know what you are saying Ragnar but to be honest I actually rarely need to use either brake at all in slow moving traffic....if I do happen to use the front one I do it gently trust me LOL   Thats another good reason Nikki needs to get out there and practise it for herself as all the different advice on here will just confuse her....                                                                                                                                                                             
myotherworld's Profile
myotherworld

In: birmingham

Emzed said it very well, follow his advice and you should be OK                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

I do it Ragnars way, because that is the correct way to do it. The other reason is when you are taking your test, the examiners watch what you are doing with your hands on the clutch and front brake.   If you don't do things the way they are supposed to be done, you may fail your test. Not to mention the possibility of loosing the front end.   Just keep practicing and it will come to you.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Nikki D do you have an instructor hon? If you aren't using one and can afford a couple of lessons do so and you will soon get the jist of it.....I had a few lessons with an ex bike-cop instructor and believe me he was great at demonstrating stuff and very patient. Be worth it to find a good instructor near you and you will get the hang of it v soon no probs, plus he will teach you all the correct techniques/manoeuvres in preparation for your test eventually Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Sprint900's Profile
Sprint900

In: leeds

The bike can make a difference too,my old 2 stroke X7 was crap in town at low speed as it continually fouled plugs and had to be revved to pull the skin off a rice pudding,my Blackbird is big and heavy but much easier to drive in town! Custom type 125's arent too bad for stability with a longer wheelbase but not so good for getting round a figure of 8.
As Lulu says a good instructor will sort it,a friend of mine used to be an instructor and he could get a CBX750 round the figure of 8 so it is possible with most things eventually!
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ha! That reminds me Sprint when you said about the bike making the difference... of when I was younger and rode my wee (BIG for me) Yam DT trail bike in slow traffic.....oh my goodness it wobbled like mad when I went slow due to the higher sit of the engine..... dunno how I ever managed to ride the thing then...... I think I always used to pray traffic lights were constantly green then hahahaLOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the advice!  Lulu - I am having one two hour lesson per month at the moment as that's all I can afford but it's easy to forget most of the stuff you learn on your lessons, especially when I'm so new to it all and there's a hell of a lot to take in!  Also, it's easy to be hard on yourself too - I guess I need to remember that the fact that I've been riding a little over a month and I can get from A to B in fairly heavy traffic fairly safely must count for something!Wink

For those of you going to Squire's spring show, I'll be the chick on the GZ wobbling into the car park at 5mph lol... oh, and JP, if I come off, I WILL try to do it in style!!!

Cheers guys!

Nikki xx
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

That's where the "slow riding technique" comes in handy Lulu Wink   Even big "Trailie" type bikes can be trickled along with it Thumbs Up   I suggest you find yourself a suitable empty carpark Approve   And give it a try Approve   I'm sure you'll realize how much more "control" you've got using by using it Geek                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W

Nikki once you get used to the technicalities of riding the bike, and it all seems to happen 'automatically', you will enjoy it immensely.   The constant remembering of what to do and when to do it can be streessful, especially when you have to watch out for other traffic, but once it becomes second nature it's so much easier.    Sounds like you're doing ok so far, good luck with the rest of it Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oh no need for me to practice in a carpark....been riding on roads for over 2 years now so have it well mastered.....anyone else wanna have a go? Last time im giving advice on here....                                                                                                                                                                             
justjerry's Profile
justjerry

In: The Lizard
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

Lulu - relax hon...   all input is appreciated, but there will always be a difference of opinion between people. That's how forums work  Handshake

Nikki - Emzed's technique's a winner... good advice, well given  Thumbs Up

And like you say, it's easy to be hard on yourself when you're starting out, but that's a good thing. It means you're not believing yourself to be god's gift to biking and are willing to ask for and accept advice...  top marks to you girl  Beer                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 568 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption