Shaft drive

19 Posts | Latest reply on 22/02/2013 23:57:25 by xj | Go to original / last post
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

In: Durham
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I have a fancy for a shaft drive bike for winter use and touring however, they all seem to be real heavy lumps and I'm not sure that I could manoevre one backwards and forwards if I needed to.  At the moment friends seem to be dissuading from the notion saying that a good chain should last me 20000 miles.  I'd be interested to know what the lightest shaft drive bike is out there (the lightest I've come across is, a bit disappointingly, the new BM W GS which is 238Kg fully fuelled).  I don't want to buy new. I'd welcome any thoughts on this matter.                                                                                                                                                                              
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

Virago 535 or Honda NTV spring to mind, both getting on a bit. Current it will be the 750 Guzzi's.
Look at your current taste in bikes none of these would be your thing.
Chain and sprox last me about 30K, bike has a Scotoiler which makes all the difference.
Only shaftie I've had was mt GS1150. Great fun (and reliable which will be news to the 1200 club) but shafts do sap more power than a chain so you need a big torque engine to start with.
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Thanks Steve, got to admit a Virago is definitely not my thing and not sure about the Honda either.  I used to ride a 650 Katana which was about the only engine that didn't suffer from the energy sap that you talk about.  I clearly need to think about this a lot more. x                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

Try looking at a restored small block Guzzi, relatively light,easy to manage and will appreciate if looked after.. The new version is of course the V7 range,nice classy little bike..                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Sounds interesting Rossoandy. What model do you mean? Pardon my ignorance, I'm not very well versed on Guzzis. I was quite taken with the Guzzi 1200 sport but a Guzzi loving friend of mine seems to think that it might be a bit cumbersome for me to manoever backwards and forwards in car parks.
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

yamaha diversion. Getting a bit old but loads of low mileage good examples around. Reliable, enjoyable and fun. Personaly i prefer the older f model, but do not let rossoandy persuade you onto a guzzi. He is like a jehova's witness trying to convert everyone to the dubious joys of italian engineering.
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Lol, thanks XJ, I'll check it out.                                                                                                                                                                             
petewick's Profile
petewick

In: Haworth
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

I have a 900 diversion. It doesnt seem to matter how much abuse I give it, it is totally reliable but it is quite heavy in town riding. I agree with xj the older 900 f is a better bike if you can find a decent one                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

If you can find an old Yam XJ650 that would tick most of the boxes, but good 'uns are hard to come by.

petewick's Profile
petewick

In: Haworth
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Absolutely Wills. The XJ650 was the best bike I have ever had, by far. 115000 miles it had done when I sold it and it still redlined in top gear. IF you can find one you won't be disappointed                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Only downside of an XJ650 for me was that the exhaust studs were 6mm and would sheer off as soon as look at you. Trouble was the previous owner had put a four into one exhaust on it which fouled the oil filter and needed to come off for every oil change. Not funnyAngry
Later XJs had 8mm studs, a lot more sensible.                                                                                                                                                                             
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

me i run an old suzuki vx 800 which is a v twin shafty no mater what abuse i give it never misses a beat.... i use it for rallies and such like and handles very well when loaded with camping gear...BeerThumbs Up
also the seat height is is good for people like me with stumpy legs lol
good little bike with cruiser thump but with road bike handling.....
got piccy of it in profile have a look ........                                                                                                                                                                              
Coldharbourkat's Profile
Coldharbourkat

In: Dorking

Oh  dear I seem to have ridden all of these with the exception of the Guzzi. You may find the Diversion top heavy and difficult to manage I did and mine had a nasty habit of cutting out in sub zero temps at the worst possible moment ..650 kat is a favourite of mine and if you can take the style the jap cruisers are an option as although heavy they carry the weight low and are easy to manoeuvre at low speed like an old BM boxer but they are vague at the front if you push them, as an off the wall choice big scoots are excellent winter hacks good fairing comfy loads of luggage space but have "interesting" handling...have fun
xj's Profile
xj

intetesting comments about the diversion, i was thinking about one for a change but may stick with the older f model. I know they are good.                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

Jehovas Witness !!!  rofl, I'll be on ya doorstep wiv me copy of Guzzioligy to quote at ya XJ !!LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

noo sense of adventureWink u lot....                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

Don't you mean on my doorstep with agricultural machinery monthly. Actualy maybe i should shut up i was in that wierdo guzzi mag.                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I heard you was the centre spread, sitting on a V7 wearing just your y-fronts and bike boots, blowing a kiss at the camera man.                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

the y fronts were photoshopped in.                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6699 seconds. There are 577 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption