Fjr1300 maxton shocks

8 Posts | Latest reply on 03/04/2012 14:52:45 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

My fjr has maxton rear shock & maxton front fork internals..When Im two up suspension is much better..but I tend to ride solo..front end is bouncy & I feel every bump...I cant refer to yamaha manual as its not yamaha suspension. Ive tried contacting Maxton they want a lot of money to service & set up shocks..can anyone help please thanks x
trainrobber's Profile
trainrobber

In: warrington

http://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/ Join the forum and ask the question there, sure you will get loads of reply`s, Steve                                                                                                                                                                             
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

Suspension can be a bit of a black art. I think the basics need to be checked first. Static sag on both the front and rear units need to be checked. Then you can look at the damping settings. But always remember when adjusting these, make a note of the original settings before adjusting.
Maybe the original owner always rode with a pilly, so there might be too much preload on the rear shock.
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

agree with Spesh. You'll have to play about and do it by trial and error. you'll find loads of help on you tube about how to do it and what you should be measuring then altering.   You'll find the bike is 10 x better if its set up for your weight and riding style.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Spesh & Kwakgirl much appreciated..will have to find someone to help as shes too heavy to maul around myself...any offers of help will be much appreciated!! thanks                                                                                                                                                                             
Laffo's Profile
Laffo

In: Bumblethwaite

Pm sent...Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Maxton are very good.  I had Maxton front and rear on my VTR and it handled amazingly.  So when I bought the CB and found the front end a bit "squidgy" I took it there and they fitted completely new internals and it has been excellent ever since.

However, when you go there for any work like this they ask you very specific questions; how you tend to ride, what the main uses of the bike will be, whether you will be principally solo or if you will be taking pillions regularly etc.

And then from this they build suspension accordingly for you.

As such Rose, the fact that you are riding a touring bike with Maxton suspension that works better two up suggests to me that the suspension has been built specifically for two up use.

As such you may be able to back off the preload sufficiently to compensate, but you may find that what you really need is a lighter spring.

I'd be tempted to ring Maxton, ask to speak to Richard and explain the situation to him.  If it was done not too long ago, it may be that they still have a copy of the spec sheet and he will be able to advise you what you should consider doing.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Geoff..that was very useful..will give Richard a ring..hope to see you & Rach again soon!! Been a long time since our paths crossed!!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2969 seconds. There are 697 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption