Clutch / Idle / Backfire ER5 problem!

25 Posts | Latest reply on 19/03/2012 22:10:53 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Love her to bits when she plays nicely but when she doesn't she really doesn't. Loveley evening in the week, so wanted to go for a ride after work... ran her with the choke for a few minutes, while I geared up, started to reduce it, and the revs started to get lumpy, bouncing up and down. Let her run a bit longer knowing that if I try to ride at this point as soon as I let the clutch out she'll just die on me. The idle settled so I got her upright and it gets lumpy again, put a bit more choke back on, idle races but settles, take it back off (about a 3rd off at this point). Put her in gear to go but as I let the clutch out the revs drop to point of cutting out. She can be kept going at this point but only if I rev and declutch rapidly.I tried letting her just sit idling for a little while, I tried plenty of throttle, I played with the choke. After about 10mins I gave in and put her away.She has done this to me twice before. If you can keep on with no lights, roundabout etc it seems to just clear the system, but if you get stuck before then it's a dangerous game trying to balance the revs with stopping and getting moving again - not a game I really want to play on a main road.Help!! (please )   Tried to force her to run today, loads of gas but if the clutch lever is not in she just dies, no ifs ands or buts.  Got housemates lad to give me hand getting her back up the drive and have called the garage but had no answer yet.  I had been going to take her to the garage anyway but now I'm waiting for them... gutted.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

this isnt going to sound very helpful, but it could be anything :(

over what period has this been happening? is it just recently - has it been stood around ie.. has it got old petrol in it..

when was it last serviced.. how old are the spark plugs?

it now dies when you let the clutch out? is that with it in gear or neutral?

hope the garage gets back to you soon.. Smile

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yeah...  Embarrassed   Garage didn't get back to me, someone else did, their solution worked perfectly... operator error!  Please don't ask...!!  lmao   Thank-you though.  Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

oh go on, you can tell us.. Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Was gonna write here but wrong post and cant clear it.                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Please tell us Loobylou77. I won't be able to sleep otherwise. We are listening because we don't want to make the same mistake do we Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hope its not yer clutch looby ,if not its carbs or petrol feed  or did ya put diesel in it lol [only joking]  take hand brake off , yep slap me x                                                                                                                                                                              
geebster's Profile
geebster

In: Lincoln

We're all waiting?? my money's on 'fuel switched off' we've all done it!!!Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

You dont get your fuel from morrisons do you ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Nope, not yelling!!  LOL   EMDEE - consider yourself slapped.  Noooo, harder than that!!  Shocked   Fuel was definately thanks, grebster & JP I have used Morrisons for fuel, but not recently & given the cost I use Tesco - may as welll get the points!                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Not telling or not yelling?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Both!  Not telling you guys & not yelling at the bike either.  LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Am just embarrased is all.  Clown                                                                                                                                                                             
cw's Profile
cw

In: Manchester
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

was the side stand down                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

No need to be embarrased. We have all done some silly things. I could give you a list for me over the years!Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
cw's Profile
cw

In: Manchester
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

like David said we all make mistakes and i've lost count off the ones i've done Wacko                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Side stand was up, but I've done that at Tesco after fueling twice.    Too much choke, repeatedly.  I'd flooded the engine... the shame.                                                                                                                                                                             
geebster's Profile
geebster

In: Lincoln

We've all done stupid things with fuel!! I was on the A1 north on friday, ***mph, outside lane, car started to misfire, i was out of fuel, EEEk, just passing a Texico station, managed to coast in, YeH!!! my best stupid moment on the bike was on an old cb750, filled up with fuel, jumped on the bike, no problems..............................arrived at Kent custom show, went to put my feet down and the kickstart was up the leg of my jeans, fell over, God that hurt, 2 up with luggage Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

One of those occasions where you are glad no on had it on camera ay geebsterThumbs Up I think we all have flooded our engines at some point by forgetting to take the choke off, it's nothing to be embarrased about. Thanks for sharing LoobylouBig smile. I can go to sleep now!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8901 seconds. There are 1351 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption