Did you know..........?

28 Posts | Latest reply on 12/04/2012 15:24:30 by RobboC | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Edited from today's Daily Express ........... well I had to read something whilst in the car wash didn't I!!!!!!

It was recently revealed that BRITISH motorists visiting FRANCE will have to carry a breathalyser in their cars by law from July 1st, but did you know the rule will also apply to ALL motorcycles with engines over 50cc?

This means bikers planning to cross the channel will have to add alcohol - testing kits to already overloaded panniers, carrying among other items - safety triangles, hi - vis vests, and fire extinguishers!!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Confused ...!!!... and yet they keep telling us over here the ones we can buy aint worth it coz they aint accurate (not that i would buy one!).... so if get stopped in france can just say well me breathaliser says im ok.....   as well as it being stupid anyhow... does it mean if you break down so long as you are carrying a breathaliser all is ok....LOLLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

So you have a beer or two, and then u use your breathalizer to check if ur over the limit.   good o - yr notThumbs Up   But then u can't drive 'cos u ain't got a breathalizer anymore...Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
Ho4701's Profile
Ho4701

In: whitefield

hull rotterdam anyone??                                                                                                                                                                              
wenders's Profile
wenders

In: Never Never Land

All these new laws and regs for riding in europe, FFS need a huge bike with tow bar and a huge trailer on back just to carry all the shite!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
james-newbiker's Profile
james-newbiker

In: York

Hang on a minute, aren't we supposed to be in something called the European Union? Therefore, why is France allowed to make up their own rules?

I guess there's a simple solution, don't travel to or through France.

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

I guess there's a simple solution, don't travel to or through France.   Me thinks that is their intention! to make Brits stay away.   Is this a racist issue? LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I have just had a look on the AA travelling abroad web site, its one Ian uses a lot whenever we travel on the bikes. 

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compu...ipment.pdf

Thats a PDF that not only covers France but also other countries & covers what MUST be carried with you when travelling, it is one of the few lists that gives you both what must be carried in a car AND on a bike Thumbs Up 

Looking on it (cos we were not aware of a couple of things) good news for you Betty ... fire extinguishers & warning triangles are not needed for 2 wheeled vehicles in France Big smile

As for the breathalysers, they have to be of a certain type too ....

New regulation – Breathalysers – effective 1 July 2012, sanctioned 1 Nov 2012

As of the 1 July 2012 it will be compulsory for drivers of all motor vehicles including motorcyclists, excluding mopeds to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle while travelling in France.  This will not be enforced until the 1st November 2012, where persons failing to produce a breathalyser will receive a fine on the spot of €11.

The breathalyser has to be a certified by the French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ number.  

They do also recommend you carry 2 not 1, so that if you have to use one you are still legal and have an unused one to produce Thumbs Up

Also if you are using one that you bought last year, check it is still in date, as they usually only have a 1 year valid until date (something to also check when you purchase it) Ermm

Riggy66's Profile
Riggy66

In: Huddersfield

Thank you Shell - will check on that if I bother to go abroad again. 

But seriously - for holy heck's sake!

Nuke the silly buggers

@ ho4701 make mine a pint of Amstel Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Simple don't go to France as it is s..t anyway,                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
94% Karma94% Karma 94% Karma94% Karma

Have to agree with Sumo Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Got to disagree, I found it a great place, fantastic places & some great roads & scenery , & people so patient, I was not the most confident of riders when I went, having only passed my test a couple of months before & everyone riders & driver alike was fab, during the 2 weeks I only encountered 1 person who was impatient & that was while I was struggling at  a toll booth. 

The areas we were in were fantastic & the towns catered above & beyond for bikers & the country side was lovely .... 

Just a pity about all the Eurocrats that seem to be having 'good ideas at the time' Ermm                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I agree with you shell, i have driven all over france i find it an amazing country, looking forward to riding through france on route to Aragon, the link for the AA is excellent I have been trying to find the regs for bikes for a while now, now i dont know the cost of these breathalyser kits but is it really that big an issue to carry them....                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Carrying a breathalizer, doesn't necessarily mean that certain people will not drink and drive. Regarding France as a nice place to go and ride, that may be so, but there are far better and friendlier places to visit, with better scenery and you don't have to ride through France to get to them.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

never said anything about it preventing someone drink driving,people will always drink and drive...human nature unfortunately...I was merely pointing out that I could not see much of an issue...everyones perception of good scenery is different so for someone to make a statement that there is better scenery elsewhere is a bit of a sweeping statement. I have always found the French to be friendly.
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Every one to their own opinion!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Stuff France go somewhere else instead.The wife and I used to go a lot before the children were born and they were an awkward bunch in those days. Just read on the news they are trying to run the Olympics now!                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I think (from my experience) the further south you go the nicer the people over there, I cannot stand Parisians who I experienced to be very rude.

I quite agree tha carrying a breathalyzer is not going to stop people drinking, but I guess its a cost cutting exercise for the French police, they suspect you of drink driving so you use your own to see, saves them having to have machinery that needs checking etc to make sure its calibrated right.
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

You hit the nail on the head there Shell. I think the Parisians had an effect on me. I had a new years eve in Paris many a long ago. At midnight we were in a bar and at the strike of the new year me and my friends did what we all normally do. Got up and start hugging and shaking hands. We suddenly realised everyone else in the bar was just sitting there stoney faced. A very cold wierd experience. I am wrongly guitly of taring them all with the same brush. Yes it get better further south.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Agree with both of you, i was told the first time i was in France back in 84 that ther was two things to avoid in France, that was the paris ring rd and Parisians....so i have maintained one and have never been to Paris, however the ring rd can be a necessary evil at times...

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 446 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption