Newbies attending their very first event

94 Posts | Latest reply on 26/02/2012 12:28:06 by Riggy66 | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Once upon a time ............ there was a BM event which a newbie decided to attend.  They did not add themselves on the events page, did not post they were going, did not contact anybody before hand.  They turned up and did not approach anybody to introduce themselves, after a while they got annoyed that nobody spoke to them and went home.

Moral of the story .......... if you have never met anybody before and folk are unaware that you are going how are they supposed to know who you are ? especially in a crowded pub !!!

I know that standard members cannot add themselves to events (in this case they were a full member), so its difficult to let folk know you are going.  Some folk are more comfortable than others at approaching folk they dont know.  The only thing i can suggest in this case is that you email the events team (via the contact page) who will contact the relevant organiser and let them know that you are attending.  Either that or just walk up and say hi.

If anybody else can think of any alternatives then please post them, hopefully saving this from happening again.

Its a shame that somebody made an effort to attend and then felt ignored.

rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

A classic case where a BM name badge for at least the organiser of the event woulda helped? BM t shirts are in mho a must!.......If even a handfull of folk where them at an event/meet then newcomers will know who to approach.... Perhaps an option to supply one with membership sign up at a moderate cost....shldnt be more than a tenner?                                                                                                                                                                               
0075viragoman's Profile
0075viragoman

In: Bury St Edmunds

Might be naff but how about wrist bands for BM members attending you know those bright coloured plastic things then you would know who was a BMer or just a local in the pub                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

well, tbh - Jackie DID have her BM T shirt on                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

Shun them I say LOL

Get them to message one us (BM staff) and have it so we can put them on Thumbs Up

A job for a moderator methinks

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Mads thats what i said in my post u plum lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Could just wear a large carnation to any event where they are not known                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

How about a newspaper or some wallpaper under your arm Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

@David =)) rolling on the floor.........but where would ya put the paste bucket?????                                                                                                                                                                              
Noddy1's Profile
Noddy1

In: Halifax

I know a man who can supply the shirts or hats with logo on it, let me know if you want details/price Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

PB Bucket on your foot where else Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Gosh, now why didn't I think of that??? 8-> day dreaming8-> day dreaming                                                                                                                                                                              
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

wristbands good idea fer those who wish to be a little more discrete but still usually visible.....esp if u sportin a BM T shirt !! lol

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Many of us have either the BM T shirts or something that we have had done with our BM ID on it ... for me its a bright pink hoodie with my BM ID across the back in red sparkly diamantés (thats only cos I prefer pink to black and wanted a 'girly' feel to it) 

But I do agree with Jackie, its a lot easier for someone to come say hi to us than for us to try to remember everyones face (tho yes some faces are unforgettable no matter how hard you try LOL ) 

I have lost count of the number of people who say to me 'hi Shell I'm so & so ' then it will usually jog my memories, but we are only human & some of us are more advanced in years (yes starting to feel it as I will soon be another year older) so we do need a prod every now & then.  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

So please if you can say hi before you walk off not as you walk off it will help us all enjoy the night. Sorry if you felt left out but we did not see you in a busy pub with a band playing                                                                                                                                                                              
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

You knowBJ, perhaps they arrived''under cover'' to see what they were getting into.Wink and after having a look around. decided to runaway very quickly.Smile Arran will be my first BMevent and I to, will be giving serious thought to running away if I encounter any strange behavior such as, sobriety,quiet conversation, upholding the highway code, or restrained dancing. BeerLOL...Dusty...Evil Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

I think that I'd better add, that I'm going to be joined on Arran by a lifelong mate [triumph tractor rider] who is an absolute master of none of the above...Dusty...                                                                                                                                                                             
clarkee's Profile
clarkee

In: Stockport
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

It's a "very big deal" for some people and maybe an ordeal, for them to walk into a pub, not knowing anyone and have to introduce themselves.
While I  appreciate the humorous comments on this thread and totally agree that "mods" and organisers cannot be expected to "look out" for someone they don't know,at an event and are very entitled to enjoy the evening themselves.  I can't help feeling "the person" in question may be feeling a little bit ridiculed by some of these posts and not very inclined to attend another BM event.

Before I get "slaughtered", I really appreciate the effort and commitment of mods and organisers of these events, it's not an easy job.  Some people though are very Shy and maybe very apprehensive, for whatever reason.  I think we should respect that.  At the end of the day though it's up to the individual to deal with that or, be restricted by the consequences.

I hope "the person" will give it another try, because at the end of the day, there are some cracking people on here.
clarkee's Profile
clarkee

In: Stockport
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Just thought..at an event or night out, why don't we all keep our "helmets" on, until everyone on the event page has turned up?                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

In: Manchester

I think the easiest and best solution is for newbees to make sure they let the organiser of the event know beforehand so they can keep an eye out for them ....

Great idea Jackie ... esp as that way even stantdard members can give us the 'heads up' that they are attending Thumbs Up

Having organised a night out recently, was nice to see a new member come in and walk straight over to us and introduce himeself ... I had no previous knowledge he was going as he posted on the thread, after Id last checked it the same day.

So glad he made himeself known, great guy and was lovely meeting him.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 573 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption