Unplanned downtime, NYE 2011. Server down

17 Posts | Latest reply on 05/01/2012 16:22:39 by Say_Ten | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

To all of you who had trouble accessing the site for the past 6 hours, please accept my apologies.   It would appear the the power supply to the main server has given up.  We're now running on the backup server and I'm trying to source a new power supply on a Sunday / New Years Day.  Fat chance I know.   Still, 6 hours downtime in a whole year is a great record!   Apolgies if you find the website having performance issues today - the backup server isn't as powerful as the main one   Thanks to everyone who notified me.   PS: To anyone using a BikerMatch email address, you will only be able to use webmail for the next day or so.  IMAP / POP etc won't be available                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi Matt If you were partying last night you could not have slept much, with having to do site maintenance as well.   I take the opportunity to say Happy 2012.   All the best David                                                                                                                                                                             
DAVE VM's Profile
DAVE VM

In: Bexhill On Sea
44% Karma44% Karma 44% Karma44% Karma

Hi matt I would like to say thank you for your efforts to keep BM up and running, especially at this time.   It is very much appreciated   Happy 2012 to you                                                                                                                                                                                 
big_col's Profile
big_col

In: birmingham

Hi Matt   As dave has said much appreciated.   Off to chat room for my daily fix LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

In: Birmingham

Out of your control Matt.   Hope everyone had a fun night all the same Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

It was the millenium bug 12 years late; lol
Is the e-mail system going permenantely Matt or is this just temporary while you sort the server out?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Thanks guys for understanding.

I had some friends over from England and I had taken them to Amsterdam. The minute I arrived in Amsterdam I got loads of texts. I couldn't believe it.

My colleague did some investigation for me and we established the server was completely off. I didn't have the tools with me to bout the backup remotely either :-(

So got home early hours and found it won't turn on. Put the backup on and BM's working fine now. hopefully a friend can lend me a power supply to test with today.

The email access via imap is not available (licence) on backup server. Once we switch back to main server it will be fine
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
72% Karma72% Karma 72% Karma72% Karma

Look at it this way - you've started 2012 on a low note, so things can only get betterThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I don't know wills, got my big op coming up in mid-feb or so i think.  Is this a sign that I shouldn't do it??  Ouch                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

Ok we're back on the main server now.  The power supply was indeed dead.  In fact - it stinks of burning and one of the big capacitors is leaking acid or something out.  Eeek.  Managed to source a spare one for now so the site is back up to full speed now.
Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding.  Some things just can't be helped                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
84% Karma84% Karma 84% Karma84% Karma

Boss Man it doesnt help when your looking at it through New Year party eyes lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

haha I was.  And on Saturday I had no laptop etc so I was walking a colleague (who was at his home) through remote diagnosis.  In the end we determined there was nothing we could do until someone went to the house to push some buttons.  That wasn't possible because everyone with access to my house was out partying!  Arrgh. lol
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

lol no harm done and Happy new Year :)                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

Tonight the server will be losing connection once or twice while I try to implement something that will prevent us having downtime again like Saturday.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Stop playing with your new xmas toy Boss Man lol

tsk tsk ... boys and their toys eh !!!!!

Matt's Profile
Matt

New power supply installed and tested all ok at lunchtime today.  It's still running ok now so I'm assuming it's good (touch wood)                                                                                                                                                                              
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Btw, it's not acid in that capacitor but it does contain cyanide ;)                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 786 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption