UK Motorcycle Crash Card

32 Posts | Latest reply on 15/11/2011 08:16:14 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

CRASH Card is a scheme in which motorcyclists place a card inside their crash helmet as a medic alert. The details which the rider has written on the card provide vital information for attending ambulance crews if the motorcyclist is injured in an road traffic collision. Saving valuable time and helping treatment especially if the rider is either unconscious or unable to communicate.   This scheme, which has been in use for nearly two years in some parts of England, was created by the committee of the Ambulance Motorcycle Club a group of experienced Paramedics and ambulance staff who are passionate about motorcycling.   The card also has a mnemonic “CRASH” which gives helpful advice if a rider comes across a road traffic collision. Ian Burrell Chairman Ambulance Motorcycle Club comments:  “We know that riders are more likely than any other road user to stop at the scene of an accident and offer to help.  CRASH is an excellent way of helping the emergency services get the right resources to the scene as quickly as possible and we hope riders who stop to help will use their own card to provide information when calling 999.”   Hayden Newton, Chief Executive of the East of England Ambulance Service, is delighted to be backing the initiative and being a keen biker himself said “I am thrilled that the ambulance service is supporting such an excellent initiative, both from a professional point of view and as a keen motorcyclist myself.”   The CRASH card is accompanied by an explanatory letter which contains a self adhesive green dot. The letter explains that riders should affix the dot to the right hand side of their helmets or visor to help alert the attending medical staff to the presence of the card.   The letter also shows how to fill out the card and explains that only trained professionals should remove an injured rider’s crash helmet.   CRASH Cards are free to motorcyclists and can be collected from a number of locations across the country.   http://www.ambulancemotorcycleclub.150m.com/crash-card-2.htm                                                                                                                                                                             
Junction47's Profile
Junction47

In: Swansea

"..The letter also shows how to fill out the card and explains that only trained professionals should remove an injured rider’s crash helmet.."

I was going to bring this point up.. thinking there must be a better place to keep the card(?) As an alternative, the green dot indicates to the ambulance crew that the rider is 'carrying' the card? In the 'left' boot, for example. Not keen on anyone being over-eager to remove my lid (again)...

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

i brought this subject up in February and suggested it would be better if the card was in a jacket pocket                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Yes bit stupid having to take a helmet off as that's the last thing thay do dogtag better idea works for forces all over the world                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

The idea is that if you put it in your helmet lining, then it's likely to stay there whereas if it's in your jacket pocket/boot etc it could be taken/fall out.

The system isn't perfect, I got a card for both myself and Rach sometime ago and yes you are able to put your details on the card but there isn't an entry for next of kin/emergency phone number etc so I had to write these on the back.

But better this than them not knowing who I am.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Have to agree that in the helmet does seem a wee bit daft to a degree                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

But better this than them not knowing who I am.   Geoff had an 'off' some time ago, and was lying in the road unconcious. Along came the paramedics. 'Who's this?' says one. 'Who cares, ugly fat bast**d', is the reply. So they roll him into the ditch.   This is where Roachy found him the next day.                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

No system will ever be perfect. IMHO if all riders carried a CRASH card then if you came across an off, you use your card to relay the vital information to the emergency services. It is then upto the medical services to remove the casualties helmet to gain the personal information.
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Always assuming the helmet is still on the riders head after the accident and the helmet can be found by the emergency workers.    Same applies to dog tags and anything else that comes off during the accident.                                                                                                                                                                                 
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

sandi that cherd me up no end                                                                                                                                                                               
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

put i.c.e on you phone for next of kine numder i was told be dont no if it true                                                                                                                                                                               
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

I also use ICE on my phone.   The only draw back would be if you need a pin to unlock your phone then the Emergency Services will be unable to access the information.   TIPS
For the name enter: ICE "name of person" and then the phone number(s)e.g. "ICE Andy W" You can add more than one: ICE "another name" and their number(s)e.g. "ICE Fred B"
Most phones allow you to add 'notes' to contact entries e.g. "Mum" and usually more than one phone number e.g. home, mobile, work.

Or another way is to do: 1ICE "name of person" and then the phone number(s) etc. so they appear at the top of your contacts list.

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Kaycat said:   sandi that cherd me up no end   Just being practical and realistic sorry I didn't mean to upset you, or anyone, Kay. Where I said 'anything else that comes off' I meant bracelet, wallet etc, not body parts.   Yes I.C.E. = In Case of Emergency   I have my son's details in my mobile phone and carry the N.o.K (Next of Kin) details on a card along with my organ donor card. I have one in my jacket and another in my bag and I'm on the OD register.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

I use the ICE system on my fone, have 3 numbers listed.

It does work, my oldest sister was rushed to hospital and they used her ICE to contact her husband :)

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've got ICE numbers too .. which was told to me a few years back by mate who is a paramedic Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I heard about the Crash Card system for the first time on the tv news yesterday, and thought at the time 'in you helmet?'. I can see how these would be helpful, but how about one in the helmet, AND one in say, upper left pocket. Paramedics etc. can then check the easier place first, and if none is found, then they know to go to the one in the helmet.   In Case of Emergency, ICE numbers are recognised, albeit unofficially at the moment,  by emergency services, and there are many accounts (FB, Twitter etc.) of them working well. Such a simple thing to enter into your phone too!   One more thing to remember is to let your chosen ICE contact know that you have named them.                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

So should I have the details tattooed on my forhead                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Mr Bill me thinks you should hav them tattoo'd in several places just in case lol                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Well I found it funny.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Mobile phones and pin locks ? not a problem for emergence services been told it takes seconds to get an overide code                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 691 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption