More Changes fot Mod 1 Test

14 Posts | Latest reply on 18/01/2012 14:47:00 by Jack Jones | Go to original / last post
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

The DSA (Driving Standards Agency) are running trails around the country on how to do the swerve on the road, They have asked motorcycle instructors if they can take students to one of the trails days. And the rumour is that the DSA are going to allow trainning schools to carry out the slow control part of the test (push round, Fig.8, u-turn etc) and the test done by the DSA will go back to one road test with the swerve and emergency stop added.                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Have you got any info how they propose the swerve will be integrated into the test on public roads Ragnar?? ...wizz round a handy litter bin, bus stop and lamp post??   Also any idea of the time scale?   ......and how much it will cost?   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Not sure if this is changes to the test ... or the way the test is taught 

Most schools have to rent the DSA centre as they are not allowed to train riders how to do all the above manoeuvres on a public road. 

They have been talking about going back to one test for a long time ... I have my doubts that that will be better for someone to be honest as its just going to be MOD 1 & MOD 2 in one test ... they are not taking any of it out Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

In: Tell you later
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

so let me get this right , when doing cbt , you could in theory do halve of the mod 1 ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

I'll try to find more out today, my boss is going to one of the trails with one of the girls for the office being the student.   Not a lot of school use the test centres because of the DSA rules on insurance, so most instructors train for it on the road, the swerve is actually done it 25mph (with engine braking) so it's legal to do on the road.   I use a deadend road with no parked car and they can get the bike upto 30mph.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

All the ones round here have weekends where they use the local test centre ... Some use rented car park space (swerve at 15mph then expect you to hit 30 on test day lol)

I still say I was lucky with Focus rider training, they had a full size pad with the MOD 1 course marked on it .and a speed gun... I did HUNDREDS of swerves and emergency stops before my test.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That took you a long time before you got it right!WinkLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

At the trails the candidates (170 will be used around the country) are doing both, the Mod 1 test the way it is now and the way they plan to do it on the road and the candidate then asked how they think it will work on the road.
Flat cones were used, so if a car comes down the road, the car can pass over them and neon signs lighting up the warn other road users of the test on the road.   If I found out anymore I'll post it up.                                                                                                                                                                             
buzz_sp1's Profile
buzz_sp1

In: benfleet essex
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

we  to  have  a large  pad  where  we  set up  the  full  sized   swerve and  avoidence  manouvre ..  i  had a  visit  2 months ago  from one of the  top  guys  in the  dsa. he  was telling  me  he  wil  be  suprised   if mod  1  wil  be  scrapped , cuz  the  dsa  are to  far into  it  to  scrap  now??  . i  personnally  feel  the  mod 1  has  been good  for students  because  these training  schools  that  dont  bother to  do  cbt  correctly  are  starting to  be  found  out . it would  be  great   if they  could  combine  both  mod 1 and  mod 2  back  together for  1  test  again . it  will  save  the  student  having  to  take  time  of  work  ect ect .
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Loves I agree with you, I did my training on a full size MOD1 course with Focus training in Bolton, was a case of start off and do it slowly and then build up to it at your pace, by the time I took my MOD1 test I had done hundreds of swerves without an off and when I did my test did it on a wet pad at 56kph and 59kph without issue.
Ho4701's Profile
Ho4701

In: whitefield

I taught myself on a 125 just used a corner of a tesco carpark on a quiet day and used a line as the swerve point

Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FtlpG6pXbE&feature=...age#t=167s                                                                                                                                                                              
Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRJnQNCv2lw?version...;<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRJnQNCv2lw?version=3&feat...detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>                                                                                                                                                                             
Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDENPIwgZZY?version...;<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDENPIwgZZY?version=3&feat...detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 1854 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption