advice needed please

22 Posts | Latest reply on 17/10/2011 19:03:51 by Junction47 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

as some of you may know i was given a bike by a friend about 5 months ago my ex hubby picked it up for me. now he is refusing to give it me back till i pay him £100 expenses and £100 a month for storage. he has all the paper work for it also. i do how ever have a signed letter from my friend saying it was given to me and no paperwork was signed by him.   my problem is do i wait for the solicitor to sort it or should i go with a couple of mates and pick it up?                                                                                                                                                                             
Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

In: Tell you later
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

pm sent                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire

Ouch Couple of mates and pick it up I say ronnie Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

PM Sent                                                                                                                                                                             
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

cupple of girlys ronnie to pike it up                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

No agreement = no contract. I'd say he hasn't got a leg to stand on.   Or you could just go round with a couple of mates...similar ending.Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i bet he's got big windows in his house, and a smart car                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I am certain non of the guys would advocate violence in anyway I agree with the taking of friends and I am sure what the guys meant to say was so that you could be accompanied on riding the bike back so your 1st ride was safe, also they could have a look over the bike for you before setting off, or could pick it up for you :-)

On another note quite right any 'fees' storage etc should have been agreed before hand and in the absence of any form of contract means he can swing!

Most lawyers will do a free half or hour consultation and some after this will issue a solicitors letter ... I would advise you start there, tge only reason being he has the paperwork so could try selling the bike and say you asked him to to pay these 'fees' and you want a letter telling him that he cannot do that.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I don't think the signed letter is of any weight legally, but if the person you got the bike off were to accompany you to a Police station and explain that he has your bike and that it is rightfully yours  AND  you can prove it they may be able to intervene perhaps. I think turning up with several hairy bikers may make him call the Police on you but not sure that he has a legal footing to charge storage fees if he isn't a registered company.I would go to the Police first off and see what they say if you haven't already?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It's not just a signed letter it's got all his details . Bear in mind the cheek of all this to. He owes me 3.5k for a car I paid the deposit on. Funny thing is the bike prob only worth about 500 in it's present condition anyway                                                                                                                                                                              
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

I'm no expert but my understanding of the law is that the registered keeper of a vehicle does not necessarily mean they are the legal owner. As you are the legal owner, by not letting you have the bike he has in effect stolen it and can be charged accordingly. If the registration certificate has been sent off in your name you are liable for any motoring offences that take place and will have to prove that you were not riding the bike at the time. Personally I would report it as stolen and inform the police of the address where the vehicle is and let them recover it for you.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

he would av registered it in his own name. and its not on the road or wasnt and knowing him ..... fat and lazy it still wont be but i know rob didnt sign anything coz he was gonna come over and do it so it should be still registered in robs name                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

U say your ex hubby picked it up for you, something has seriously  gone from him kindly picking it up to him trying to blackmail you  my suggestion is go through the correct (non volence) channels but at 500 quid is it worh it. there is also the ' nothing more dangerous than a woman scorned' route, good luck. 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

update.............. just rang my solicitor ... i have been informed that i should send him a letter asking him to arrange a convienient time for me to collect the bike ......... legally he can not charge for storage as its his mums house and he does not pay for the garage and can only charge for reasonable expences petrol costs incured picking the bike up......... so may be back for help collecting it when he gives me a date cheers lovely people xx
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

If he refuses I think best course is cops myself ask a copper to go have a word.  A uniform can open many doors Thumbs Up

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

If you need a trailer to pick up the bike I have one                                                                                                                                                                               
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

Hiya ronnie huni, good advice above - rise above the temptation to batter his lights (eyes) in Ouch , you have sought advice from your solicitor so go down that route - you will come off better in the end - Good Luck huni Hug xxxx                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

then after you got the bike back ??????                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

cheers hun mite hold ya to that xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Junction47's Profile
Junction47

In: Swansea

He seems the type of bloke who'd invent a garage-rental agreement with his mum.  Try to cover every angle whilst letting on as little as poss.. If he plays up just turn up at 6.00am and take the bike - straight in, onto the van, away.
If he strops claim you've already given him £50 in cash, just to stick it to him.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0781 seconds. There are 597 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption