First date on the bike - What not to do!

17 Posts | Latest reply on 14/11/2011 09:44:01 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Just a bit of a giggle really.
Thought we could compile a list of things not to do on a first date with a non-biker taking pilly.
From experience, here are some of mine to start off with:

Suspension:
Adjust the rear preload BEFORE you arrive!

Mucking around with C-spanners/Sockets/ knob-twisting outside of your dates' house is going to provoke a "What are you fiddling with?"

This is going to lead to an explanation of you upping the preload to take account for the extra weight on the rear. And also you admitting to sizing them up when they opened to front door so you could guess how many extra clicks would be needed.

This WILL NOT go down well!

Short(er) Companion:
If they give the leap up to the pillion seat a bit too much gusto they'll simply launch off the footpeg and fly straight over your seat and crash land on the other side.

If there's a handily-placed curb nearby, park up and allow it's subtle use!

-----

Any more, please feel free to add some below Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

If there's a handily-placed curb nearby, park up and allow it's subtle use! This also applies to dismounting, otherwise the pilly could end up rolling around in the gutter! Eh, Boody?LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Haha, yes so long as they remember which side the curb is!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

PML if they don't know which side the kerb is they should be staying at home LOL    Don't assume that your pillion LIKES getting their knee down, you'll look pretty silly when you lean and they don't and you end up on your rs when they panic.    Expect to be rollocked for screaming up to traffic lights then slamming the anchors on, and don't be surprised when your pillion flies past you.                                                                                                                                                                                 
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

In: Barnsley

Well I had my first experience, (in 20 years) of being a pilly this summer, and I must admit that the thought never occurred to me that he might have altered the suspension! Perhaps he'd already sized me up for that LOL

The thing that got me was that I knew I had to lean into the bends but I just couldn't for the first couple - I just sat bolt uprightWacko

After that I thought I'd better go with the flow so I just closed my eyes and held on for dear life. - Much betterBig smile

A couple of times he accelerated away from the lights a bit sharpish and I felt like I was about to fall off - but all in all it was OK because he knew how nervous I was about it Cool

oldyeti's Profile
oldyeti

In: Hartlepool now
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Actually. NOT leaning as a pilli is ideal, if pilli's lean,
then it's always an unknown un-controllable variable,
Sitting "bolt upright" is perfect!

I always think arranging an easy set of signals for
"faster" "slower" "I'm going to talk, so listen over left shoulder"
Before I set off is better!!
"slower" doubles for stop!! Or I need stretch legs, or the toilet!!
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Knee down as a pillion, that'd be some bragging rights for both parties Sandi! Not quite as memorable as you leaving the pillion on the floor (accelerating) or watching them overtaking you (braking) Tongue

As with most things Lisa, going with the flow is always best. It's much more fun when you find yourself leaning with the bike like you're part of it and it gets more fun the quicker they're going. To a point! Glad you had a sympathetic rider though, you'll be hopping on the back again?

Good advice there OY, the signals are the bit I always forget to brief but this often makes for a quieter pillion Cool Though through fear or enjoyment I'm yet to find a definitive answer for!                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I didn't mean knee right down, I just meant leaning a bit too far for the pillion's comfort.   PML @ your last sentence.   I have 3 pillion-to-rider hand signals (ready to set off, need loo, and emergency stop) and always go thro them before I ride pillion with anyone, well I haven't done that for a year now cos I've had the same chauffeur Wink    Some say they have intercoms to do the job for them, not if the intercom packs up, besides I won't use an intercom, I'd distract the rider with my constant chatting and I'd rather not be talked at while riding, I may just be a pillion but I like to concentrate on the traffic and the ride.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ready to set off, need loo, and emergency stop   It's when the second two are used 30 seconds after the first one that really pisses me off!Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I agree with the intercoms stuff, it'd probably be a bit too much for someone's first pilly ride too.

I must start remembering signals!

XK, so long as the 2nd doesn't occur during the 3rd I think you and the pilly could remain friends! Thumbs Up

hdsnfun's Profile
hdsnfun

In: Worc's

Don't tell em how many near misses,crashes,blow outs,break downs or how many beers you had last night!LOL.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

LOL good point hdsnfun LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Most true about the last one hdsnfun! Beer                                                                                                                                                                             
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

The only advice I've had as a pilly ? Just pretend you're a sack of potatoes LOL Maybe not the effect you'd want on a first date ?LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
hdsnfun's Profile
hdsnfun

In: Worc's

"Wilja?"

Sack or net?
New or old?
Washed or not?
lol!!                                                                                                                                                                              
centurion's Profile
centurion

In: Catterick Garris

never worked out how me explaining to an ex- that my side-stand/exhaust always grind down earlier when carrying a pillion (yes, I ride a Harley!) got translated into her explaining to all her mates that 'I like having her on the back as ballast so that I CAN grind the bike down easier'
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Only a woman could call herself ballast, that would be a huge faux-pas for any discerning gentleman!

Holding on:
Reminding the pillion that it's okay to hold on to the grab rails (point these out!) and not the exhaust. Thankfully they weren't my favourite gloves!

Also they can hold on to you if they'd feel more secure... Just not so close that they end up clamping the end of your **** under their wrists and causing you unworldly pain when you crack the throttle open at the lights.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 1433 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption