Cigeratte lighter for bike any good ?

25 Posts | Latest reply on 25/03/2012 11:55:03 by Laffo | Go to original / last post
Mubz's Profile
Mubz

In: Manchester
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I was looking to install cigarette lighter on my bike (triumph speed master) so it can be used for many things like charging sat nav / phone or any other thing dont know what will be the effect on battery ? or bike itself ?

any suggestions / comments welcomed                                                                                                                                                                               
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

I would fit it to the fuse box so it is ign live you can't forget it and end up with a flat battery                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I got one on mine, just connected up to the battery with an online fuse, it just sits under the seat, no problems with it.                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

works well Miles i think some Triumphs alread have the wireing in there for you to connect up to so check it out

YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!

But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Yid you bitch lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Now now boys play nice !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Agree with comments above ... great for the hair drier ... straighteners ... erm I mean pump for the blow up bed when camping Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Don't go buying a whole lighter unit, just a car accessory socket, part number  [001055] from Maplins. Less than a couple of quid if I remember right.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

some great waterproof ones on ebay for marine use etc,,,great for bikes,,,,worth a look as they have been mentioned on here quite a while ago and i got one for my last bike,,,think i did pay about £12-15 ish though,,,but it was open to elements and was 100%watertight..
Mubz's Profile
Mubz

In: Manchester

Thanks everyone I've bought one from Amazon and will check with triumph as its still under warranty so will ask them if they could fix it for me or if i do it myself would it void my warranty 

kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

YID  "Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!

But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!"

Just spit my moning tea all over the puter and tears in my eyes omg lol

Mudz  go for it lots peeps have them and u can blow your airbed up

Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin

I have an all weather connector for an Optimate/Accumate fitted to mine and you can purchase a cigarette lighter attachment which simply plugs into this. You can also get extension cables for it, which I attach and run into tent and then put cigarette lighter attachment inside tent for charging mobile phone whilst camping.
chris.sheridan's Profile
chris.sheridan

In: MK

just put one under the seat of the SV wired directly to the battery, with a fuse on the live wire -  worked OK,  but  not happy with the wiring routing etc, so  (having established that it works) took it out again Time to think of little details now like where to put socket,  do I want a switch in line,  how to fix sat nav etc etc :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Same as Scorpio,   I have an Optimate lead connected to battery then the additional lead which has a weather proof lighter socket on the end, use it for sat nav/phone what have you, job done.   The add on lead can be bought on fleebay for about £12                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Just be wary of cutting into the wiring...it's nice and waterproof mate as soon as you quick clip etc you breach integrity....

I have it wired direct to battery a marine one with inline fuse.....it won't drain and hasn't in over 2 years Unless you leave something plugged in.....a mobile will stop charging when it is full unless you leave it on...but really the drain of a mobile would take a long time to drain a fully functioning bike battery....if you leave the air compressor going.....lol....you deserve a flat battery lol
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

i also have a socket wired to the battery on my vx800 through a fuse and sits in a space above the air box under the seat .... my gps power lead is long enough to reach under the seat to the socket and it gives it good wheather protection..... i can also at rallies plug in my phone to charge it up out of sight as the seat is a locking one plus the bike is alarmed  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Trap door in a canoe comes to mind, but mod tec is wunderful.Thank you stopped smokin 33 years ago and never rode a harley.Had a shot on real tractor tho LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
jabecs's Profile
jabecs

In: London

Got a pic of you sat on one tho Em lol Wink OOOOOPS said that outloud lol
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

In: Cheshire

Yid wrote:   'Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!'   Cigarette lighter came standard on my SG mate, and I can fit another one for things like chargin the mobile,IPOD etc and I got a magnetic ashtray that sits on the tank. Only trouble is when I go to empty it, it's already empty. Really spooky that one and confuses the shit out of me TongueTongue                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6875 seconds. There are 571 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption