Electrical woes

18 Posts | Latest reply on 28/03/2012 20:40:05 by YID | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've got a 1995 Kawasaki KLR250 D12.  I've recently had the frame powder coated and fitted some new parts to it and also put parts of a new wirirng loom on. Now I have the problem of the bike runing but cutting out when it goes in to gear, I've by passed the side stand switch and it still cuts out when going in to gear. I've also noticed that the headlight flashes ahen the indicators go on but I have made sure there is a good earth on the frame. The cooling fan also seems not to be working. could this be part of the same problem? If any one has any ideas I would be greatfull.                                                                                                                                                                                 
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Cutting out when going into gear nutrel light switch ? The lighting could be bad earth so try running earth leads to all lights from a common earth plate fed by the battery                                                                                                                                                                             
YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Sidestand switch and clutch lock out switch are usually interconnected so you may have bridged the wrong wire on the sidestand.
If you've been powdercoated check and clean all earth points on the frame!
Does the fan work if the thermostat is by-passed?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've fitted a new neutral light switch and thats working and the earth is good as I have removed the powder coat from the earthing point.                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

This may seem daft but check the bulbs are correct if you have the wrong type fitted it will cause all sorts of strange things to happen. not talking about wattage more the single/double fillament                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

All the bulbs are correct wattage, now, the Fan switch is knackered so I'll need to change that and the Battery is shot too.                                                                                                                                                                              
TBird_Steve's Profile
TBird_Steve

In: Berkhamsted

Make sure there is a good earth connection between the back and front of the bike. i.e. run an earth wire between them if there isn't one there already. 
What JP said would do that though.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

priced up a Rad fan switch today, £70 I had to pick myself up off the floor! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Junction47's Profile
Junction47

In: Swansea

(I'm no meshnik) but from what you're saying I would trace some of the wires from start to finish.. could be caused by a wrong connection(?)                                                                                                                                                                              
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

I think there an incorrect connection somewhere if u sorted the earths an checked the bulbs are the right type (not wattage.type). You say u replaced some wiring......hmmmm could this be the issue? double check it. Have u a wiring diagram for the bike?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I by-passed the clutch switch and it ran perfectly, all I have to do now is see if it will run with the wires switched round.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've sorted the problem out now, looks like the clutch swith wasn't working, so I've soldered  the two connection together and it's working fine now. Thanks for your help.                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

so you have bi-passed the clutch switch?? That might be an MOT fail as it is generally considered a safety feature. Personally i would replace the clutch switch.  Have you still disabled the side stand switch??
example 1 - you cannot see the neutral light or are not looking when you start the bike. Bike is in gear and you don't pull the clutch in. Discuss                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

I can see what your saying Pagan but Im sure that at the minate there is no check on these devices but there are changes coming to electical systems and repairs that may affect it. I along with alot of members remember saying WOW its got a nutral light I always pull in the clutch before starting most bikes                                                                                                                                                                              
Phil's Profile
Phil

So do I and the same on the car. you never know if it is in gear  and it puts less stress on the starter and battery not having to drive the gearbox too                                                                                                                                                                             
YID's Profile
YID

Not an mot fail as the bike doesn't need to be started for an mot, in fact if the exhaust is standard it doesn't even need the engine to be in the bike, just present so the numbers can be checked!

Phil's Profile
Phil

Thats good to know as i think my exhaust gasket is on the way out. so take the engine out and i am sorted.                                                                                                                                                                             
YID's Profile
YID

Blowing exhaust gasket may burn out your valves but won't fail an mot, instead of wasting time trying to get the engine out with the exhaust on, its probably easier to fit a new gasket!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8125 seconds. There are 605 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption