Getting Hands Mucky

7 Posts | Latest reply on 07/10/2011 23:56:30 by IanT1966 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Well some of you know my bike had a slight  misfortune rolled off her stand and ended up with broken clutch mirror bracket,rear indicator/number plate bracket all mashed and in two, also sender flasher unit smashed some how.

Well with little help and guidence on how to strip it off places to go to ect

Ive gone and fixed her myself, by doing the following......
Araldited it together then put some P.40 Isopon on (fibre glass paste/bond then sander it down wet n dry too then spray painted it.

Im just wondering if any others out there get as much satifaction as I have by doing it myself then paying for some one else to do it?

But if I had of known more about bikes etc I could of saved myself the mishap and left it in gear so not to roll off the stand.........live n learn they say LOL but feel free for any more useful tips for us newbies to biking Big smile

sal x

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Yep you can save alot of money on small jobs get yourself a small tool kit and get stuck in as long as you take notes as you go or pics will help to reasemble but always put lables on wiring. keep some ice cream tubs for keeping parts and nuts and bolts in                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I try and do most of the small jobs, but recently had to change the belt drive on my Roadking, what a massive job, drain primary oil, remove primary case, clutch, alternator and inner primary case, swingarm, foot boards and exhaust. Then put it all back together.  Belt and other parts cost me £300 and would have cost me another £200+ in labour.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

I think it would be a lot more than that 3 years ago stratstones charged £90.00 per hour and don't forget the 20%vat                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I use an Indy dealer in Kidderminster, I don't trust stratstones, not after they told me my bike was ok and I found out there was no oil in the forks!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

In: Barnsley

Respect to you Slly for giving it a go and doing it yourself. Thumbs Up

Most people wouldn't expect a 'Girl' to do it. but you're a girl after my own heart and I'm hoping to learn some of these skills as I go along. 

Looking forward to the 125 weekend, and getting some tips off the more experienced bikers. Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
IanT1966's Profile
IanT1966

In: Birkenhead
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Q:Do you know who taught me to fix my bike
A: nobody! why cause my dad disappeared when I was ten !
solution to fixing broken bike, learn by trial and error ( lots of)
So well done Sal, I take my hat off to you because I have trodden that path myself. tip though never be too proud to ask a stupid question, because you'll look more stupid if you dont ask it!!!
There will always be people on here who are more than happy to help with advise and encouragement!!!!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3281 seconds. There are 2001 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption