sluggish cb500

17 Posts | Latest reply on 03/10/2011 00:34:36 by firebladejohn | Go to original / last post
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

In: chester
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

hi guys and gals , its me back to pick your brains ... just got a cb 500 on a 97 plate with 23k on the clock , good clean bike but it seems to lack in the performance dept ....??? it revs ok but just does not feel like a 50 or so horse power bike .... any info would be great ... 
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Could be restricted                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Have you, or can you give it a compression test Micky?   You would be looking for comformity between cylinder readings, with a difference of not more than 10 - 15%.   I would expect to see a figure of around 100 - 120 psi after 8 - 10 engine strokes with a figure of around 65 - 80 psi on the first stroke, building up to the higher figure as you continue turning the engine.                                                                                                                                                                             
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

Hi Guys ,
wheely , is it a carb of job to see if its restricted ? 
tony , would not know where to start to do the test ? 
it does rev ok but just seems very astmatic ????? am i bein to hard on it ?                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Throw the air filter away and try again, had a cb750 years ago that became sluggish, shop said lob filter over fence I did problem solved.                                                                                                                                                                              
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

hi harry , so is it ok to run it with no filter ?                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Micky it's probably restricted by some washers in the carb inlet pipes, take the pipe off and you can easily see them.                                                                                                                                                                             
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

hi wheely , is it common to find one restricted as far back as 97 ? the previous owner only went up to 70/75 so maybe he did not notice ? mmmmmmmm                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Just back from pub, no filter no problem, just try if ok get new filter, go easiest way first, if its the original filter it will be -ucked.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

even if its restricted it should have decent grunt - just will start to run out of breath at top end (around 80) but If I remember correctly the Kawasaki ER-5 had a bit more poke than the CB500.
From riding a friends though who had his before restricting it - it had less grunt and more top end before the kit went on. general service needed? (oil/filter/plugs etc?)                                                                                                                                                                             
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

Hi guys , just had a look at the service record and its dealer done till 12 k then nothing ? the guy i got it off bought it at 20k and changed the oil and filter , brake pads . so i guess it may need a service ???? thanks for your advice so far ... kev                                                                                                                                                                             
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

hi all , been out on the 500 today and it seems to be running better ????? having said that the engine is still sort of lumpy on acceleration ?? like its got a slight misfire ???                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

it could be - but it is a parallel twin, probably not as lumpy as a GPZ though but I seem to remember our schools bike being lumpy one                                                                                                                                                                              
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

hi tcat , mmmm by the sound of things its running normally ? this is my first twin .... so maybe its me ?                                                                                                                                                                              
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

hi mickyd   have you checked the spark plugs for sooting up what colour are they after youve been riding the bike for a few miles                                                                                                                                                                              
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

i will have look ? do you think it could be the plugs john ?                                                                                                                                                                              
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

if the plugs are sooting up it could be carb problems                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6090 seconds. There are 596 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption