TomTom battery connection

28 Posts | Latest reply on 23/11/2011 19:26:18 by bontonroulea | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've got a ciggi socket in my "dash"  for the iPhone which doubles as a satnav 
- this is on a relay that is switched by an ignition live so that I can leave things plugged in without running the battery down. 

For connecting the optimate I have another ciggi socket under the seat that goes (through an inline fuse) straight to the battery.

The newer tom tom's (and nearly all portable gadgets with a USB port these days) charge over at 5volts because that's the standard USB voltage. 

while it would be a neat solution to wire the tom tom straight to the battery, you'd have to make a voltage regulator that could reduce the 12-14 volts of a fully charged bike battery down to a steady 5. 

Much easier to wire a ciggi socket in! just remember to use an inline fuse.

chris.sheridan's Profile
chris.sheridan

In: MK

Did you hard wire it ,  or fit a lighter socket ? ... this wouldn't be the cause of the electrical issue on your Bird, would it ..?                                                                                                                                                                              
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

good point that.....perhaps the length of smelly burnt looking wiring loom is the issue!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

No Chris, I just hard wired a ciggy lighter and that worked, can't see that being the problem really but it's in expert hands anyway, trouble is the experts are baffled too! I don't think so Andy as that may be easily identifiable, we'll see eh.                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

U got it sorted mate??                                                                                                                                                                             
321johno's Profile
321johno

In: Liverpool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Cigarette-Lighter-So...mp;sr=8-12 this is what I used on for my satnav on the bike                                                                                                                                                                             
bontonroulea's Profile
bontonroulea

In: Wells
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

H.
I Just read your post have a look on ebay can't remember who but they make a wiring kit for the tom tom for bikes with a built in reducer and its a hard wired to the head stock then the tom tom plugs in from there, got one on my Harley its ace. as it plug in at head stock it can be removed from there to stop you having it nicked. Have a look and if you cant find it I'll check my ebay account and try and find it that way. try Tom Tom hard wire kit? Regards. Gary.                                                                                                                                                                             
bontonroulea's Profile
bontonroulea

In: Wells
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Just checked Ebay type in Hardwire kits for Tom Tom, there is a English company doing it for about £12  but the yank sites about twenty pounds. Gary                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4063 seconds. There are 751 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption