TomTom battery connection

28 Posts | Latest reply on 23/11/2011 19:26:18 by bontonroulea | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Can anyone tell me with certainty if it is possible or not to connect a TomTom One directly to the battery? Why should i need a cigarette lighter connection if that specific connector doesn't reduce the voltage, or does it?Any help would be appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

99% sure you should be able to wire direct to the battery with no problems. It's only got a cigar lighter plug on it As a tom tom one is designed for a car !                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Jim Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
UKHarleyRider's Profile
UKHarleyRider

In: manchester
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

u can also wire it to ur headlamp                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Too complicated, i know where me battery is!Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You'd could always buy a 12 volt socket to go on you bike if you wanted to keep the plug on !                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yea but its the hassle of fitting one somewhere, if i just hardwire it i can leave the cable on permanently                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You can buy them on a cable so you can wire to battery and just leave them under your seat. If u choose to wire direct to battery, take apart cigar socket on Tom Tom and see if the cable is connected directly to end of plug and dosen't go through any components first to be on the safe side.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yea okay Jim will do thanks again                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You're welcome Markie, if you're not sure, leave it and give me a shout !                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'm not sure lol but i need it for tomorrow, well i don't NEED it but i would like to get it up and running so i can ride hassle and stop free to Anglesey and Snowdon and then to Gaz's in Cheshire. I will just give it a go, what can possibly go wrong?Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Just found some info on this Markie, Tom Tom ' s have voltage reducer in plug so you'll need to keep it. You'll need to wire a 12v socket to your bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oh can you post me the link to that info?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-motorbike-forum/65761-how-wire-tomtom-directly-battery.html

Here you are Markie, sorry for the confusion - I learnt something aswell today.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Jim, you're a brick. I will go to Maplins and get me the stuff i need and sorted, cheers.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

No worries. We got there in the end !!                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Just as easy to wire a cigarette lighter to the battery as it is to do the Tom Tom and you'll have the socket to plug any other gadget into it as well :-))                                                                                                                                                                             
desres's Profile
desres

In: Pontblyddyn

I agree. I fitted an optimate socket with its rubber cover and have a cigarette lighter socket that plugs into that. You can buy optimate plugs from Maplins cheaply and thus lose the bulkiness of the standard lighter plug for many things, but like here, where you need to retain the plug, you're still in business.
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Clickable link   http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-motorbike-forum/65761-h...ttery.html                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Did the same as des, optimate lead off battery, plug in ciggy adaptor with charger, does phones and helmet blue tooth. Sat nav plugged into another aux socket powered only when key on. Charger drops into glovebox.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9082 seconds. There are 1152 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption