Supermarket claims 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

59 Posts | Latest reply on 09/09/2011 07:56:09 by pondlife | Go to original / last post
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Gotta say I am with Sandi on this one, 

Both Ian & I always remove our helmets when going to fuel up, more for the piece of mind to the people working there... 

We all know that raiders have taken the helmet as their choice of covering & that it makes some staff uneasy to be faced with someone walking towards them with a helmet on, I would not like to be in a job where I felt uneasy or unsafe.

On the subject of a burkha I find it quite an antisocial garment of clothing, designed to isolate the wearer from all around & make it so that they cannot be recognised ... similar in a lot of ways to how we are when walking towards someone with our helmets on, although our helmets are designed for safety they can have the same effect for people as all that can be seen is a pair of eyes,

harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

I use flip up most of the time now, taking helmet on and off with specs shortens frame life of said specs, my optician loved and hated me. Woman in queue at tescos store said I should remove my helmet at till, I said look inside I'm not a teenager and not of a particular ethnic persuasion and even you could run faster than me out of the shop, "no reply".
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I can see why when I roll up on the SD some shops  might get nervous 2 out of 3 robbers prefer it as the getaway vehicle LOL I should not laugh one of them was stolen from one of the guys on the forum .     http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23813575...y-heist.do                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I use a flip front helmet and if possible will always use the Pay at Pump option. I wont remove my helmet because I suffer from Alopecia and that would be embarrassing for me. 
I always get off my bike and put it on the centre stand so I can make sure its filled up full. 
If they insist I must remove my helmet then I will just go elsewhere. Smile

Another thing to consider is.......

Most supermarket garages have only the Pay at Pump option after hours where the kiosk is closed. How do they intend to enforce this when all you need to do is fill up later at night.. LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

In: Birmingham

I have never taken my lid off when I have paid for fuel and neither have I been asked to.                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

is it bad when they ask you to put your helmet back on?

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Lol @ WN

I think flip fronts are great as who is serving you can see your face, personally I feel it's rude to just be a pair of eyes in a helmet, (back to the Burkah thing)                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I don't as a general rule take my helmet off to fill up.  However, I will if asked to.

It still does make me laugh however, surely these people can tell the scallies from the honest folk?  Maybe it comes from working in an area for several years that had the envious title of "Britain's No 1 Area For Petty Car Crime", but I can tell the difference between someone wearing a couple of grands worth of quality bike gear, riding a large clean motorcycle and some scruffy teenager wearing dirty trainers, baggy jeans and a plain hoodie and riding a knackered, frequently crashed moped!!

I don't bother asking about the burkah issue.  After all, it isn't the fault of the person behind the counter that this country insists on bowing to the wishes of people that don't come from this country!                                                                                                                                                                             
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

Correct me if I am wrong, but around here, the petrol station staff take a note of every single number plate of vehicles being filled with fuel.   So if I go into pay for fuel (dressed in my bike gear, with my visor up), there's a pretty good chance that I am going in there to pay for fuel for one of the bikes that's on the forecourt.   When I pay for fuel for my car, I have never been asked to remove my sunglasses so that the staff can see my eyes!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Yes BL, but bikes don't have a number plate on the front!

Which is also why we can ignore average speed camera systems on motorways lol!!  Most, not all mind!  So don't do it unless you're absolutely sure folks lol!                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

Shocked Geoff !!!   As for me.... can't wait to cause havoc at my local morrisons! Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

As a bit of an aside, getting the ferry back from Santander to Portsmouth and going through UK customs, you do not have to dismount your bike.   Also you do not have to remove your helmet! Smile   They do like you to lift your visor up on your full face helmet. Stern Smile   Last year they asked me to remove my sunglasses Cool  (the cheek!)   If garages cannot work out that bikes only have plates on the back should they be extorting us with their petrol? LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
tazant's Profile
tazant

In: halesowen

burka.s i had a woman come to me door  with one of them on ......so i opened the letter box peered out n sez how the fck you like it                                                                                                                                                                               
JP's Profile
JP

93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Geoffb2005
The av speed cams are mounted on the back of the gantry so the pic is of the rear of the bike or car                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes jp but not on the tempory road work ones. Personally I have been in morrisons stood right behind a woman in the Berka ninja eyed suit,they didn't say a thing to her ( not a religious garment but clothing of choice) when my time came they were just about to start and I told them don't even think about asking me to take of my helmet as you didn't ask her and the people behind me backed me up.....and the attendant said fair one and let me pay and go on my way.....result!
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

When i filled up my bike last weekend the attended give me a free air freshener, maybe your supposed to hang them in your helmet to kill the petrol fumes.

I did say it may be more appropriate to give me a visor wipe.  

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Maybe it ought to be noted that there is a Morrisons Store and petrol station not a mile away from the KISS Venue.Wink We could INVADE it lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
securitybob's Profile
securitybob

In: Kettering

I only wear a DOT approved skull cap anyway...aint a damn thing they cant see with it on other than my dodgy helmet hair...doing them a favour leaving it on....                                                                                                                                                                             
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

might be an idea to invade morrisons near the rally site!Big smile I must say I've never been asked to remove my helmet but then again,I always use pay at pump cos it's much less hassle than going in.I will remove it on a hot day though but only cos I'd roast if I didnt,even at pay at pump.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 717 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption