Spectacles

79 Posts | Latest reply on 14/12/2011 08:25:25 by rossoandy21 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

some great points of view still rolling in,,,apart from XK's comment of course,,,,going to wait till my eye examination next week then will discuss all points with optician including advice on laser treatment..., I average £300 plus every 2 years on specs so you are correct david,,,laser would work out cheaper in the long run !!! cheers everyone ,,,craig                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Craig I have the same issue ... I wore varifocals when I started riding a bike, like HRC I had the wide field of vision, yeah they cost more but are worth it, they do take some getting used to , felt like the ground was raising up to meet me when I first put them on but I found them great for riding in, like Bill I found it was more comfortable with the straight arm glasses than the ones that bend round your ear

The optician did suggest one thing to me this year ... I have not tried it yet he said ... wear one lens for distance in one eye & another for close up in the other ! 

Yeah I looked at him like he had gone mad but he says it works & your eyes adapt & its perfectly legal for riding/driving with ...                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Shell,,,,dont like the idea of one eye for distance and other for close up,,,,even if it does work,,,,will have a go at the straight arms though,,,ive been debating this for ages now,,,,6 month overdue on eye test,,,and the only thing ive decided on at moment is making my appointment for next week !!!!!!
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

lol you n me both Craig Thumbs Up

Hence why I have stuck to glasses, however now I am finding that I need them less n less for close up, so my riding glasses are quite small & easy to look under rather than through for when I am on the bike                                                                                                                                                                              
jeanzqueen's Profile
jeanzqueen

In: Fife

I've got wide field of vision with my varifocals which I wear all the time when I'm out and about.  No problems with the lenses at all.   Needing new specs myself soon so might try the straight arm frames too.  Will take my lid with me though to make sure...   I know a few people who have had laser treatment.  Fab in daylight hours but have had a few problems with their night vision as a result.    Good luck with whatever you decide Smile                                                                                                                                                                                 
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

The trouble with laser treatment is that they can't treat for bifocals so you still have to wear glass's as well unless you have one eye for reading and one for long vision which is similar to what was  suggested to Shell, sounds a bit odd to me
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

just researched this  "wide field of vision varifocals" that everyone is talking about,,,,I did not realise that there were different kinds of varifocals,,,sounds a good choice,,,but even more stuff to think about now Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Awww Craig sorry hon :-( they really are worth the cost tho, my last pair were £400 however I did get the free 2nd pair which were my riders

I found the wider my field of vision the less 'sea sick' I felt when I was 1st wearing them.                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Twin's Profile
Big Twin

In: Newark

For what it's worth don't do the following 1 wear reaction lens glasses 2 use a tinted visor 3 leave Rotterdam on bike 4 pass through 3 road tunnels   So put another way take a spare pair of clear lens glasses and a spare clear visor Just my 2p                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I agree with the reaction lenses ... Great when the sun comes ou, snap you have sun glasses on, but take ages to go clear again :-(                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

LOL@ Big Twin   Bin there, done that!Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
Stroggyman's Profile
Stroggyman

In: Liverpool

never had my reaction lenses go that dark when i'm on the bike as the visor filters the uv thats needed for them to darken

didn't know that getting eyes lasered affected your night vision so i wont be considering that now!!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Update :- eye test is Monday so i'm just going to get my prescription and keep nipping in to the shop over next few weeks to try different frames etc and to get advice on all points raised in this thread by you all,,,,,not going to let them pressure me and i'll order hopefully in next 2-3 weeks,,,,at this moment I have not got a clue what I'll go for Confused,,,except it wont be laser treatment ...Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I tend to ride with the visor a little open all the time so they go quite dark, 

I considered laser surgery, but was told the same, also my optician   said that my eyes were getting better on their own, apparently its not uncommon when *ahem* getting older you become long sighted, so getting better eye sight if you are short sighted to start off with ....Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Stroggyman's Profile
Stroggyman

In: Liverpool

shell either you have a chromed tank reflecting the uv back up you or you have a cheapo visor LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

one more bit of advice required before my eyetest monday,,,do you spectacle wearers have your lens coated with anything ie,,,anti-reflective and does it work ???as i will be riding both day and night time !!!xtra cost but dont mind if it works,,,,cheersGeek

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks everyone for the advice... Eye test over and optician cant believe i have been out riding bike/driving car without wearing any specs,,,,in my defence i have not hit anything,,,may have jumped the odd light or two !!!! I have opted for the tailormade wide field of vision varifocals with the ultraclear coating to cut down on headlight reflections etc... They come at a cost though :- £366.50,,,i will get a second pair in with this price once ive decided i'm comfortable with them,,,and the research ive done everyone appears to say they are great compared with standard varifocals which i cant wear.... bad news is they wont be ready till sept 5th,,,so when i set off for the scottish highlands this thurs morning lets just hope for clear roads........ Thanks again eveyone,,,,,craigGeek                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Twin's Profile
Big Twin

In: Newark

I had some fixed lens glasses from spec savers last week on bogoff so for the extra pair  I chose sunglasses  with a polarising tint they're great Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I was thinking of sunglasses but need the extra pair for work so will have to wait till next year for some prescription sunglasses,,,the only grace is that ive got the drop down sun visor in my bike helmet which will have to do for rest of this year,,,,thats if we get any sunCool or as an after thought,,,i could maybe pay the extra for polarised lens in second pair,,,,got upto 6 weeks to make mind up on that one,,will try and get a price on that option,,,cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

CRAIG   Lets us know what you think when you have your specs.   I think my time will be coming soon.   David                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8125 seconds. There are 685 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption