smell of petrol

17 Posts | Latest reply on 08/08/2011 19:42:56 by harry worth | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

my bike when ridden and stop accelerating   smells of fuel   i cannot see any leeks anywhere and have wiped everywhere with kitchen roll to find damp patches but there are not any any ideas    help                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

is seal around fuel cap ok ?                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Check your air filter could be spitting fuel back into the airbox                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Check your carb floats, might be stuck and letting too much petrol through. Other than the smell does it run ok.                                                                                                                                                                             
Greg62's Profile
Greg62

In: Chesterfield

Knackered seal on petcock?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

checked fuel tank   all ok bike runs like a dream   exaust is a little sooty   but thats all                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

do the gas test lighted match lol                                                                                                                                                                              
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Check for splits / tears in any vacuum / breather hoses.   Make / model / year / engine size / Fuel inj or carb info would help for further diagnosis.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

kwack kle 400   91 --93  the pilot  screws  seem a long way out to me  i havent touched them but all the others ar well resesed in the housing   these almost show outside the casing   do they increase the fuel flow   or the air   i dont know    i think its a repair kit and borrow someons brain                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ps   the exaust is verry sooty    might need a chimny sweep its that bad                                                                                                                                                                              
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Confusing as you say it runs fine ?!?!?!   If the exhaust is as sooty an black as you say, you are DEFF overfueling !!! The smell is caused by the unburned fuel,  Numerous reasons for this - -  so bottom line is remove carbs, strip down, clean an reset, not forgetting to inspect the manifold rubbers. Model specific workshop manual would give all relevant info - - ie float hights an base settings for pilot air screws etc. Soz to be vauge .. .. but without them in front of me, its impossible to say. Have you had it long? has it always been like this? has the fuel consumption gto worse latley? has any one played with it lately?                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

not had it long   its got worce i think   and havent messed with it   not shure what to do so left it alone  all i done is put a cleaner in the fuel   and the mpg   got less   still runs fine i do get a slugish period whilst getting warm   it starts fine runs ok for a while  then mid warm up it gets sluggish   then when fully warm its brill even picks its draws up with me on it   i,m not big clive for nothing   and its my waistline thats big  
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

solved the smell of petrol  I SOLD THE BIKE AND GOT A BETER ONE                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thats as good a solution as can be found ))                                                                                                                                                                               
bkr's Profile
bkr

In: North West lancs

works everytime what have you got now ?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

yamaha tdm 850 its a old one but new to me been well looked after so comfy compaired to my old one   and the breaks   well i nutted the faring the first time i used them and it runs well to                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Had one of the first ones of those in the country long ago, good all rounder. In winter check brakes for salt corrosion and rear cush drive bearings for wear, forks could have done with progressive springs. Did 74000 miles in 3years. Think I still have most parts of the ventura back pack system in the loft somewhere.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6875 seconds. There are 570 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption