zzr 1400 broken engine

15 Posts | Latest reply on 29/08/2011 12:14:22 by harry worth | Go to original / last post
svenhassle's Profile
svenhassle

In: stoke on trent
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I won a 2008 ZZR1400
Piston snapped and crashed a hole through engine block.

it has done only 14,500 miles, which is not right for any engine so young and not this one.

Has anyone else been so unlucky

Where can I get a used 1400 engine ?

geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Sven, there are a few people on this site with the 1400 who may be able to offer more advice than me.  But my thoughts are that although it's a new bike, the engine is still based on a very old and very proven design.  And my understanding of the big ZZRs is that the engines are bulletproof.

So, it shouldn't be doing that quite frankly.

I'd suggest that even though the bike's out of warranty, I'd be sending a strong letter to Kawasaki UK.  They may not be willing to help as you're not the original owner and I'm presuming you were aware of the engine damage when you bought it (?), but the worst that can happen is they say no.                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

your best bet is flee bay or brakers yard

svenhassle's Profile
svenhassle

thanks for the 2 responses so far

I mistyped my original post. where it says "i won" it should read "i own"

I bought the 1400 from new, and it has had no engine trouble until now.
A very strong letter to kawasaki is brewing, wheels are already in motion just waiting for their first offer.

Very good to hear others also say these engines are considered bullet proof. This reputation I heard a while back and is one of the reason I bought this model, and this is my 3rd kwak.

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

I would be thinking if you have a full service history on the bike you will have a good case for a (keep him happy outcome) but if not think you will get a please send us the piston and block at your own expence so we can just blame it on poor serviceing
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Sven, given you've owned it from new, if Kawasaki do turn you down, I'd seriously consider speaking to Trading Standards about a "Not fit for purpose" claim.                                                                                                                                                                             
svenhassle's Profile
svenhassle

The bike does have a FSH and it definitely is not for for purpose. Legal letters will be written.

Like the trading standards idea, 2 pronged attack

like it

I should get a first offer from kwak HQ this week, lets see what have to say.  

thanks for the support
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

was it because of doing 160 in 4th gear ? off road of corse                                                                                                                                                                             
svenhassle's Profile
svenhassle

as it happens the piston popped at 60 mph

honest guv'nr

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Another 1400 kwack bites the dust . I have heard of a few of these bikes and one kwack  1400 jetski  calling it a day early in life . I think there could be a bad batch of engines out there .                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Any more news on this problem.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I WOULD THINK AFTER 3 YRS  THER WOULD BE NO COMBACK ON THE MANUFACTUROR   IF ITS OUTSIDE WARRENTY ITS DOWN TO YOU   can you prove it was never raced at any time   and just because it was dealer serviced dont meen it was done right  
Dex's Profile
Dex

In: Ashtead

I would definitely write to Kawasaki UK about it. A failed component at that mileage is not usual and they may well be sympathetic to you.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I have had my gearbox give up after 24,000 miles.  The bike is a ZZR 1100, fully maintained and Kawasaki seem to think a gearbox only doing that minimal mileage is acceptable.  Writing to them got me a sugar coated TOUGH!   Good luck.                                                                                                                                                                             
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Hi ZZR, I know its a bitter pill to swallow but your bike looks like a D2 circa 1996, no company is going to accept liability that far back. I had same model box went at 50/60000, finally gave up at 74k that was in 1999. Had my bmw box go at 32000 a year out of warranty and we did a deal, I paid labour £286 they paid for new box £????. Older low mileage machines are ok but won't show faults up till it's too late.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5469 seconds. There are 684 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption