Leather conditioning products

25 Posts | Latest reply on 06/07/2011 10:59:44 by Brummie Jackie | Go to original / last post
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I recently paid a visit my local Equestrian centre to ask advise about my leather jacket and trousers etc relating to Saddle Soap.  The lassie said that it is good, however, a lot of horsey people are changing to this : FLEXALAN LANOLISED LEATHER DRESSING 500 ML tin £9.99 states on the tin that it 'softens, waterproofs all articles made from leather.  It is applied to clean leather with a paint brush, a thin layer - allow to dry and re-apply.  I have used it on my bike jacket and it has made an amazing difference, so mush so I wanted to share the news lol Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Thanks Katie, my new leathers are still a wee stiff, especially the jacket  so will give it a go Thumbs Up

And if anyone else need it 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexalan-Leather-Dressing-4-Bridl..._947wt_901                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

There are a number of very good products out there, I've always liked Renapur.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Yeah me too Geoff, but the jacket is a heavy weight one, & it just doesnt seem to have done the job enough Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

A lot of people make the mistake with Renapur of just using the conditioner.  It is very good at doing what it says on the tin (well, tub lol) and that is conditioning leather.

But it isn't that good at cleaning leather.  That's why they sell a separate cleaner which is good at cleaning!  At the bike shows etc they sell a bike gear kit (cleaner, balsam, sponges etc) for £20.

You say your jacket is a heavy one Shell, but I doubt it's as heavy as my BTK 1.5mm thick, made to measure thingie and Renapur works fine on that.

http://www.renapur.com/content/21-motorcyclists

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

We have the full kit, got it from the bike show, just doesnt work good enough for me, worked on the trousers, hey ho                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

You sure this isn't a lady thing lol?  They are unlikely to ever look as they came out of the showroom.  Yes, you can clean them, but leather is a natural, porous product and it can absorb grime as well as be layered with it!

So, don't try to over clean them as they can be damaged in such a way that you may not know about it until you need to test them properly at which time they tear.

However, cleaning and conditioning leather is just as important safety wise as dry leather can tear as well.                                                                                                                                                                             
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

As Geoffb2005 rightly pointed out - there are ALOT of excellents products out there and in no way am I advising you use the one I purchased - merely passing on info as an option - so people the choice is yours Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

LOL , its nothing to do with how they look ... although yes that prob is a lady thing LOL

Its the fact that they are brand new & still to stiff for my liking so I am willing to try something new,                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Better off just wearing 'em lol!  That's what I always do.  And don't worry about the bruises, they're only temporary lol!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Oh shit ............ I'm going to have to agree with you Geoff. I use Rennupur too and the leather cleaner.

You know this forum really needs a rolling eyes emoticon !!                                                                                                                                                                             
honda baby's Profile
honda baby

In: Belper

Thanks Katie and Shell have just ordered this now Thumbs Up Think the price is very reasonable if it does what it says on the tin Big smile.....HB x                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

This ain't good!  SF and I have agreed on a few things lately.                                                                                                                                                                             
honda baby's Profile
honda baby

Hey Katie, Thanks for the tip/ Got the stuff ,and in record  time, from flea bay Thumbs Up Did all mine and Joe's leathers and they looked and felt great next day when they had dried Big smile Hopefully we'll be waterproofed for Bonnie Scotland next week LOL Would recommend it to anyone Thumbs Up....HB x                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thing is, leathers are not waterproof no matter how much "stuff" you put on them ...... get a rain suit for over the top, even a fairly cheap one will do over your "waterproof" leathers.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Oh bloody 'ell, this really, really ain't good ........

My opinion is that SF is (deep breath) correct!

When conditioners refer to "waterproofing" the leather it only means protecting the leather itself from water damage .... and even then it isn't perfect, hence why you have to reapply.

It certainly doesn't stop water coming through your leathers.  Even if you could get the leather waterproof, water would still get through the zips and stitching etc.

I regularly treat my leather trousers (textile jacket for the main) to Renapur and it keeps the worst of the rain at bay during quick showers.  But if I know it's going to be heavy or prolonged, I put my overtrousers on.                                                                                                                                                                             
honda baby's Profile
honda baby

Well they look and feel good anywayWacko We do have waterproofs too but i'm remaining optimistic as regards to the weather Big smile and i've had a word with the powers that be LOL  (just in case !) If it happens then so be it ! i don't really give a toss as we're going on our jollies ! woop woop Party,,,,,,HB x                                                                                                                                                                             
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

Oh bloody 'ell, this really, really ain't good ........

My opinion is that SF is (deep breath) correct!

lmso Wacko

firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

i use furniture polish                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Will let you know how my leathers feel tomorrow LOL mine arrived today                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.1250 seconds. There are 580 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption