Sunburn Through Clothes?

5 Posts | Latest reply on 26/06/2011 19:27:35 by gixergal | Go to original / last post
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Are there any scientist types on these forums? I was wondering if it's possible to get sunburnt through your clothes? The reason I ask is I've been out on my bike today with all my gear on and my shoulders are red raw. My jacket is textile with kevlar in it. I could feel the sun beating down on my back even at high speed. So is it possible?                                                                                                                                                                             
Jack Jones's Profile
Jack Jones

In: Tell you later
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

cheese cloth ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

unlikely if it's a tight woven material but not imposable. It would depend on exposure time. More likely you've got a heat rash.                                                                                                                                                                                
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

You obviously weren't going fast enough! Evil Smile   You can burn through normal clothes, no idea if it's possible in heavier weight materials but it has been really hot today. Saw 31 on the gauge near York.                                                                                                                                                                              
gixergal's Profile
gixergal

In: North East Linco
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

I asked my sister who is a scientist and works at Cambridge University. She says, in short, yes, you can still get burnt by the sun through textiles unless it is that UVA and UVB factor 40 fabric which they make beach clothes out of.  However, textile motorcycle clothing should not let the sun through to burn you so it is more than likely heat rash.

Hmm... even I've learned something new today, lol. Thanks sis                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2930 seconds. There are 475 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption