Think your good at slow speed riding...

33 Posts | Latest reply on 29/07/2011 18:30:19 by potnoodles | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

you stick your left knee in left knee out in out in out then shake your arse about you ride your hokey pokey then you fall about thats what its all about oh ! you know the rest   i would say the guy didnt put his knee out coz he was leaning the bike and keeping his weight up top over the C of G                                                                                                                                                                              
crasy lady's Profile
crasy lady

In: Bury st edmunds

yup do 40 all the time!round the country lanes, psses everyone  off then.LOL.                                                                                                                                                                             
oldyeti's Profile
oldyeti

In: Hartlepool now
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

isn`t this about "slow speed" conering? as far as i`m aware (i am only a man who works for a living) any given bike has a finite maximum lean angle with any given tyres, the "idea" of knee out/body weight shifting, is to move the "total" weight centre of gravity (i.e. bike AND rider) inwards towards the corner, to alow a HIGHER corner speed, for the given bike/tyre combo at each corner?   i`ve been known to make progress, and understand the weight shift bit, but for me on the road, lowering MY centre of gravity includes my head, which has the eyes bits attatched to it (is old fashioned i know) if my head is lower, surely i can see less far ahead? surely i can see less far round the corner?   is that why folk who put their knee out riding on the road ride round corners slower ? just an observation.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

That was very impressive riding in the vid Approve     Just my tuppence worth on cornering,   I've always shifted my weight on corners, going round roundabouts etc, even back in the old days (30 odd years ago) on non sports bikes, it just felt right to me and as hard as i might i find it really weird sitting bolt upright in the seat while trying to corner...   And in answer to you oldyeti, as long as you use the right line through a bend you can see up the road just fine, also getting off the seat is especially usefull in the wet as it gives your tyres a greater contact patch on the road and when bikes tyres have as little as a credit card size contact area with the tarmac any thing to help when you have 170bhp to try to put down is welcome in my book,   Just a side note if anyone needs more confidence they should try doing a bike safe course with the a police rider, or a few trackdays that will boost anyones levels of skill wet or dry, well worth the £45 it costs for bike safe Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

as a sportsbike fan and rider for pretty much as long as theyve existed, just wondering when the knee out brigade will "progress" to the "rossi leg dangle"
i can understand the reasons and admire it when watching racers, but even on track days, mere mortals wont come close to those speeds/lean angles and on a b road? forget it - i'm usually chomping at the bit to pass them in my ancient vw polo!!! i can almost smell the testosterone from here!!! haha                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yep in a lot of cases i have to agree here with Mandy you only have to look at most sports bike riders tyres to see  they don't lean as loads i've seen have chicken strips an inch wide on either side of the rear tyre Wink   bikes are meant for corners lets have some fun out there, lean the damn thing over a bit more, at least when it dry Eh !!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
gixergal's Profile
gixergal

In: North East Linco
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

I must be in the minority then Blade_rider as I ride a sports bike and whilst I have never got my knee down or had my knee out for that matter, my "chicken strips" are about 5mm if that LOL

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Good on yer Gixergal, Approve Thumbs Up    It does indeed seem there are only a few of us that actually ride the bikes we own the way they are supposed to be ridden,   It does bugs me when i see guys on really capable bikes poodleing about like thier driving miss daisy, ok so don't race on the roads but you don't have to be going like a bat outta hell to lean...   Corners where made for sports bikes after all !!!   But each to their own i guess Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Ok just mesured my chicken strips F 4 MM R 22 MM I can lean a harley over any more cus my boot drags along the road with forward controls                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I bet that makes the cagers back off round bends eh JP Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
bkr's Profile
bkr

In: North West lancs

measured chicken strips on mine, Im ashamed
front 11mm
rear 15mm
? does this not depend on tyre size & profile, I do lean the bugga over!!!

davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

It is fare to assume that the wider the tyre the greater the radius, hence more tyre contact with the road. I have seen many sports bikes with a narrow chicken strip (as you call it) and absolutely no wear the the rest of the tread. I would not put thses guys down for it. They are riding in the way that suites "them". Isn't that what its all about?   Enjoy your riding what ever way you do it.   Great video.   Do that on Module one and I think its a fail. Its not slow.                                                                                                                                                                             
potnoodles's Profile
potnoodles

In: Sheffield

What does it matter if someone has 10mm wide chicken strips? Ermm
You wont find me "going for it" on the road, it aint safe (thats not to say I dont have a bit of fun). On track the risk is reduced in so many ways.                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 644 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption