Daytona 900 tyre pressures

13 Posts | Latest reply on 29/06/2011 08:09:44 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hello all,
Google and Haynes book of lies tell me that the tyre pressures for my Daytona are 42/36 on my michelin pilot 2CT (180/55). To be honest, it's 42/36 for any tyre on this bike.  The forums tell me that higher pressures mean less as the contact patch is smaller.

I'm not planning to tour but I am planning to lean my bike and 42/36 feels a touch on the skittery side.

Anyone had any experience with tyre pressures on sports tourers and decided on compromise values?

Thanks in advance
Matt                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

For many years I had 900 Trident, I tended to stick to 38psi front and 40psi back, even with a (light) pillion.
Never had any issues running those settings, if all your suspension settings and linkages are good I dont think it should be a problem.
The rubber you have on there is pretty good too and that can make all the difference, lets face it, if the road gets wet it's going to get skittish anyway, no matter what you're running.
As for the contact patch, I wouldn't worry too much about that, problem is if you reduce the tyre pressure to increase your contact patch you risk loosing tyre stability on the rim which will throw up a whole new set of handling problems for you.
Hope this helps rather than confuses                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You've pretty much encapsulated what everyone has said but I've been unwilling to listen to.  Thanks very much, I think should just accept that I'm not riding a race-rep!  Thanks for your help :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

My ZZR1400 is 42 both ends despite loads of "experts" deciding that lower on the front is better.

All my previous ZZR's have been slow turning and drop in with lower tyre pressures.

Doesn't matter what the tyre make is                                                                                                                                                                             
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

your bikes knackered fax it needs welding , ha ha ha                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

to be honest my daytona skitters too at the front im told too soft a spring and to little rebound damping available acording to maxton suspension folk assuming yours is a 900 ? wich it is ive just looked do you wanna swap the doy work ? lol nice   cant see tire preasure changing it much but let me know what you find out !                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'll feel better knowing you get it on your 9 as well :) 

Pretty much exhausted the forums on this one and the conclusion is....no bugger has the definitive answer.

I think the thing that messes with me a lot is that the pressure increases as you get more heat into the tyre and I've read about track day lads putting daft low pressures in.

I think I'll stick with standard guidance and just be happy to leave a few mill unused on the edge of my tyre.  It's a sports tourer after all!

WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

"do you wanna swap the doy work ?"   ment to say body work lol     can you tell me wich way the fuel tap is ment to piont  ie wich way is on /prime / reserve mines been sprayed over so cant read it                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

PRI down, reserve up, on is across.

I moaned about the skittery front end but it was such a tiny issue on a beautiful bike.  This engine is like nothing I've ridden before - the only engine I really want to discover after this triple is the wankel. Thumbs Up

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'm a double post noob sorry - if you know of a single seat cowl anyone wants to shift, let me know.  Jack Lilley wants £150 new! He's having a tin bath right?  Unhappy

Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

I run my Trident on 36 front and 42 back and since my suspension was set up for me those pressures seem perfect.
Touring Spain in a couple of weeks luggaged up and will keep the same pressures.   Tyres are Avon Storm 11's that I have really been pleased with I will let you know how many miles they would have done from new after the Spain tour as I think they will be ready to change whenI get back.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Safe travelling on your journey! Very jealous :)                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

Oh dear thanks yoghurt ive been riding in reserve then lol and put it to pri when i think its running low LOL     ebay ive seen bosy work panels on there going for £40 and if you think the seat cowl expensive go look at front fairing's Geeeezzzzz     nice one rattay                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4844 seconds. There are 572 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption