Bikesafe Course

12 Posts | Latest reply on 22/06/2011 19:38:10 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I am taking my Bikesafe Course with Dorset Police on the weekend of 2nd & 3rd July. 
Saturday is classroom work from 9 to 3. I have to attend this before I can go out on the road with a Police Motorcyclist on the Sunday. The Sunday ride is for 2 hours.

I do consider myself to be an experienced driver/rider after passing many tests first time.

I have learnt a lot from listening to other bikers and also watching Bikesafe clips on youtube.

Im fully aware of the correct position on the road for corners and the look over the shoulder before a move...

Any advice or ideas I should be aware of would be appreciated.. Smile

xox                                                                                                                                                                              
gixergal's Profile
gixergal

In: North East Linco
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

The police motorcycle manual called Roadcraft is full of good tips. Hope you enjoy the course and get alot from it. Let us know how you got on. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thank you gixergal. 

Not heard of that book before but did a search and found it on Amazon. 

Just ordered it and will digest it before hand LOL

Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Hi Deb, read it after your bikesafe course.   The Police are aiming to route bikesafers into advanced training, which would include reading 'Roadcraft'.   Ride your normal ride and receive the feedback, then take it from there.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thank you Big Al,

I will take your advice and not read the book until after the course... I do intend to ride the way I do and take the feedback.. Is the advanced training the IAM ??

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Good luck Deb, but know you wont need it xxx                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Enjoy the course, I’ve heard its similar to advanced riding with the IAM.                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

The BS course that I attended was for 2 days (in pre-austerity days) it consisted of scary videos and a bit of roadcraft theory in the morning and riding in the afternoon (i.e. an assessed ride in the same way as an IAM assessed ride).
Good fun, enjoy. You might get an insurance discount if you are lucky.   Warwickshire Police run their courses out of Gaydon Motor museum.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Good luck let us know how it goes. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

http://www.dwdam.org.uk/   Deb - here is the link to your local group.   I'd do your BS course after a few weeks of putting into practice the techniques/system, then go along to the IAM and do an assessed ride see whether there's an improvement. If you like what you see, do a skill for life package. If this is like my group, there are lots of social events (go carting, track days, evening socials) , good rideouts, annual tours to Europe etc                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

I would recommend bike safe to any biker. I have done one before and planning on doing another. When I did my first course there were three or four delegates who were on there second course. They wanted to see what bad habits they had picked up in the three years between courses.   As Has been said before ride your own ride. although the police officers are officially off duty if you do start hooning around they will / must step in officially. never seen it happen yet but just bear that in mind if you take risks while filtering or stop on the red box at traffic lights.   Other than that enjoy yourself you will pick up a few hints and tips and you will notice your riding improve.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thank you paganprince. I will ride my own ride.. Even now I get overtaken in traffic by other bikers.... LOL

Thank you Big Al. I will hav a look at that site.

Thanks to everyone else for your support Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 629 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption