Sat navs - advise please

48 Posts | Latest reply on 06/06/2011 06:31:11 by GreyGra | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Am with Suz... I print off maps and stick em in the front pocket of me tank bag.... ... I manage 99% of the time.. lol   If I have a "scenic detour" I ask for directions .. lol   worked so far :)                                                                                                                                                                               
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Same here as Suzi and Star. I got to the local discount shop and buy a copy of last year's road atlas for £1.99 or even less, and then cut up, photocopy as required for the tank bag. I'm also the same as Shadow, buy last year's satnav for the car. Don't need to get a stanav to drive from, say, Nottingham from Liverpool, but finding an address in suburban Nottingham would be a definite satnav job if I'm on my own. Saves an awful lot of bother.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

Ian I have the zumo, it was very difficult to download the map update and the blue tooth cardo rider cuts out when it feels like it. the zumo is very solid well built and does its job with lots of extras but because of the cost of updating it i would seriously consider getting a phone with a sat nav and just listening to it.To be honest I have used mine a lot on the bike but rarely look at it, the ear plugs you get custom made with audio are well worth the money but if you get a mobile phone with one in all you have to worry about is getting a comfortable ear piece,also a phone upgrade with new maps is easier than updating a sat nav in my opinion.I wouldnt rely on trying to hear a car one as traffic noise will drown it out, i did use one in a tank bag for a while.
sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

zumo 550 or 660 always go with garmin better maps and very good service if they go wrong plus 100% water proof                                                                                                                                                                              
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

I got the cheapest car one I could find, just in case it was too complicated and never got used,.. (or broke/lost more likely)! I put it in my mapcase, with a laminated photocopy of the area I'm going into below it, then run a cable (through a loose fag lighter socket) to a small 12v dry-cell battery in one of the cubby holes.  I can swop it all between bikes in less than a minute, the battery lasts for well over 20 hours, and I think they cost less than £10 for a Yuasa one. So with the nav, cable, M/F sockets and battery,.. maybe £120.                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

You will never get lost with a good map                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

You can buy the waterproof case for them ........... fits to the bars

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/kit-gps-moto-so-easy-rider-...12501.html                                                                                                                                                                              
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

I preferred your wrap it in cling film suggestion SF, very imaginative! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i have just looked at shadows link, its perfect, i can use my van tom tom xl live sat nav and i dont have to pay a fortune out !!! thanks sf                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

TomTom are the best as recommended by the Gadget Show 

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/bestbuys/sat-nav/satnav

Smile

sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Tom tom sat savs are not water proof                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

they are in a waterproof case sumo !                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

If you going to have a permanent connection (rather than an external socket), such as a powerlet cable, then you need to ensure that once the GPS unit is removed you keep it protected from the elements as the mini USB can rust. Maybe best to connect from a socket so you can remove it
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

on the limk that sf supplied, there is a battery pack that supplys ten hours of time, and it all fits in the water proof case                                                                                                                                                                              
bbbent's Profile
bbbent

In: Nottingham
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

I use both maps and a garmin zumo 400, the sat-nav is handy to get you through unfamilier towns (Barcelona, Toledo etc).  Open road just follow the signs.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Nokia's phone sat nav works fine and free maps for life, blue tooth connect or earphone  or tank map holder with basics written down ie M1  off at junc 19
on to M6 Off at JUNC 10
 Roundabout 2ND EXT ONTO B449   etc ....

Prefer the latter tho on more than one occasion been with folk following SAT NAV being asked to turn down one way streets n the like.....                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Ian - Just been on the link - it's £100 with assessories. I've got a spare RAM mount and TT holder and a powerlet cable which attaches to the battery terminals, with Mini USB for the TT. Make me an offer                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

pm sent AL                                                                                                                                                                              
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

use a map                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

aye gone of the days when every one found there way round places via pubs or well known land marks,I hate my sat nav its a much use as a chocolate fire guard,I tend to look up on route finder make mentle note or revert back to the old fashion way write it down like sparky has said.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7168 seconds. There are 460 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption