Loading up a sportsbike for camping..

73 Posts | Latest reply on 01/06/2011 19:35:32 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Just remember that overloading a bike can be just as dangerous as having badly deflated tyres.  Many think loading up the pillion seat is safe as it's no worse than having a pillion, but if it isn't totally secure then it is due to acting as a dead weight rather than a weight that holds itself up.

Experienced pillions don't tend to suddenly shift position or fall off and wrap themselves around the back wheel.  (don't tend ... I didn't say never lol) - unless they're dead of course!

Also, the lighter and more quickly steering a bike is, the more unstable it's going to be when loaded.  I could tell when I had the laptop and accessories in a bag on the pillion seat of the 'blade due to it moving about in corners and under braking and acceleration.  Whereas you could probably stick a fridge on the back of an Electra Glide and not notice!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Could well be taping a sheet all the way around the tail, will just see how strapping to the seat goes on friday. Yeah, fingers crossed none of it tries kamikazi wheel diving, will be making plenty sure it's stable before i go anywhere near any motorways.
Getting close now, yowser!                                                                                                                                                                             
mizzi's Profile
mizzi

In: Colne

kwak if u need an airbed that will fit in ur inside pocket pm me... its an ultra slim one but will literally fit in ur pocket...and i hav a super tiny snuggly pillow as well that'll fit under ur jacket :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Intriguing lol! It's like a magic trick for travelling bikers! I got my first one and it's gonna get blown up, bounced on and the life squeezed out of it afterwards. And if it doesn't fit back in the bag afterwards - binned lol!                                                                                                                                                                             
mizzi's Profile
mizzi

In: Colne

pmsl...been there done that! try carrying shitloads the 2 mile trek from parking to camping at v fest... my bro has it sussed thank god so i just give him all my gear these days but my airbed and pillow have served me well...snaffled them in my bike jacket and they're the only things i need besides ear plugs on a camping trip lol.... wear as much as u dare (saves u packing and doesnt get crumpled) and buy what u can when u get there...if it doesnt fit in a rucksack dont take it :-) but most of all bloody enjoy it x
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ive had a few giggles at reading some of the replies to this post..

How about getting someone to shrink wrap you and your luggage to the bike...lol...

But to be serious, I do wonder how Im going to fit everything on mine.. hmmmm... Need to make a list of what I need first Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Tesco have a 'micro' sleeping bag for sale at £11 reduced from £22. I picked one up the other day. Not got it out the bag yet and it probably won't be good quality of course! Thought it may be handy for Summer camps when it's warm at night. No good when it gets chilly at night but have got my winter bag for then (that takes up more room!) They also have small fleece blankets half price at £4                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

Mizzi - am intrigued at the ultra tiny airbed that fits in ya pocket...what make is it & how comfy is it? - welcome to BM by the way Beer                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

Here's one! http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-...ir/product   Go on, treat yourself!   Takes about 30 odd breaths only, to inflate.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Naughty one, just buy a touring bike lol

Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

thanks Rat - found a Uk website for em - expensive! But are they any good?                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

Yes, very good and only about 50mm thick. It doesn't bottom out even with my weight on it! They stay warm as the bottom silver material insulates against cold.   I used mine in Barmouth for the weekend. So, I cannot give a long term view yet but am using it in Spain for a month in July. Up until now I recommend.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Lol, BJ, good, but can i get my knee down at donington on one Wink.

It is tempting now that you lot have lured me away from my 'same route every sunday morning' run, and i'm having a blast!!
But i love my zx too much at the mo.
Still, if anyone's donating either a zzr1400 or a blackbird then i won't kick a gift horse in the mouth lol!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4141 seconds. There are 610 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption