Links in Events

14 Posts | Latest reply on 21/02/2011 13:39:30 by Say_Ten | Go to original / last post
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

In: Consett
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm cruising around the events calender, I see folks that are going and have a few questions, or maybe want to read up as to whats happening, or how people are getting there, pillions etc...

Would it be a good idea, if there was a thread on the event in question being linked to the events calender?
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Yes it would.   I've given this some thought but my idea would make work for Matt, so I don't know how viable it would be. But here goes:   1)  The thread title is a hyperlink to the event details. 2)  The event title is a hyperlink to the thread.   The creation of 'insert/edit hyperlink' (like with word) on the create event/create topic functions would be needed for members to DIY, but it could just be a mod tool, as a bit more jiggery pokery would be required to convert a title to a hyperlink down the line.   If you start a thread to canvas interest and it's added to the                                                                                                                                                                              
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

Thumbs Up damn good idea Dyna
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

The problem, as always, is user input.

I could add a drop down box on the Add Event page allowing people to select the relevant forum topic.... But folks will just select any topic at random... Thus creating more work for mods.                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

How about giving a member of the events team the permission to do it then or are the mod permissions  "all or nothing" rather than specific

DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

I've just re-read what I've attempted to say , lol, not enough coffee.

This is more to the point of what I mean.

- Your in Events  where  you can  get an  email link, website link, tel number for all the details of the actual event,  but none for the thread  (If one exists).   So how about a link in the EVENTS LINKS BOX to any forum thread that may exist about the event.

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

This was one of the resons for moving the fourms about so we dont have to go over pages of stuff to fine what event topic we were lookng for most events are staying on the 1st page now some still drift onto page 2                                                                                                                                                                              
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

@JP

All this suggestion is , is to put a link from the actual event (events calender) directly to the thread discussion, so theres no need for anything to be moved about at all.
 It does make forum navigation easier though as it would take you right to the thread instead of having to trawl through all the now different forums.
 This isn't anything to do with moderation.
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

i agree, it's something I want.  Once a forum topic and event are 'linked' then a link can be added on both the forum AND event page to the relevant place.   BUT... you've still got to manually select the right forum topic, and I know people will just select the first in the list (i KNOW they will do this) so.   Also, what if there are 2 forum topics about the event?   We could trial it though.  I could edit the database to create a link between forums and events, then change the site scripts a little to add a link for you to click on.   I will create something next weekend, hopefully I'll be recovered enough from my surgery to sit at my PC then                                                                                                                                                                             
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

If I submit an Event to Sandi, she inputs all the info I give her, as its an event, it has to go into that forum (default?).
 I really hope this works with no probs as I think it could be a useful tool.
 Cheers Matt

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

ERR yes I think I get it now will just meen that keeping one thread per event is a must as for your doing it Matt you know BJ and Boss mom will give you a hard time if you stuff your back again so LEAVE it for a couple of weeks                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Would it be a good idea, if there was a thread on the event in question being linked to the events calender?   DynaToon are you trying to diddle me out of a job? lol   I already add a link to the calendar events in an event topic on the forum, but I can see how a static link on page one of the topic and a link to the event forum from the event calendar would be helpful.   People refer to the events calendar as the events page which can confuse cos there's an events forum which also gets referred to as the events page Confused are you confused yet? LOL                                                                                                                                                                                
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

Sorry Sandi Embarrassed n You'll never be replaced. Hug

Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

If the first item in the list was "create a new thread" for this event, then they wouldn't be linked to random threads.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 634 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption