Scrubbing in new tyres

59 Posts | Latest reply on 21/08/2011 21:10:22 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

seen a number of people asking on here about scrubbing in  new tyres, i uses a 4" angle grinder to do it, lightly mark the surface all round, try not to take any rubber of, cheaper than having a off, years ago i used  a rasp or sandpaper.
Weirdoraptor's Profile
Weirdoraptor

In: Brough, E. Yorks
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I give 'em a rub all over with med / rough emery then wash 'em with hot soapy water.   This doesn't actually scrub them in but it's a start and gives you a little bit of extra confidence when you first set out, (knowing that they're not complete banana skins).                                                                                                                                                                              
whackojacko's Profile
whackojacko

In: Ayr
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Yup Weird, like you I attack them wif me sander and 60 grit. It gives them a start.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

did someone just say take a angle grinder to your brand new tyre...with what ever wheel you have on the grinder, surely if you dig in to the tyre too much ? slip and hit your wheel rim ?? it all seems a recipe for a disaster to me !!

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

Use the flat face of the disk not the edge its never dug in for me. You can do a lot more damage falling of the bike then you would with a grinder
If you dont want to use a grinder than use a rasp or sand paper as I suggested
If you don't think can do it Ian than ask someone else to do it for you
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Bill, i have been a engineer now for 20 years, i am quite capable of using a grinder buddy, the initial thread was started by 6ypsy, i just think the  usual way of riding your bike to scrub them in is the best way, i have never heard of folks usuing a grinder on a back tyre ....
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

In: Consett

Well , I've never heard of this before in all my years of biking. TBH it sounds a very odd practice to me.
Can't you just ride cautiously for a while and gently wear them in??
Confused Confused

feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

thats what i thought Dyna..... maybe thats what some wannabe racer boys do so it looks like they have took their bike to "the edge" they prob do their knee pads aswell..... LOL                                                                                                                                                                                
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

In: Consett

The SADDEST thing I EVER saw.
Box Hill (well known Biker haunt) a few years back, me and my despatch riding buds decided to scream down to Boxhill at  ermm......50mph (or whatever the limit was then, thankyou Plod) and have a cuppa.
 We parked up and began the religion of admiring the serious bikes on show.
 Then these guys came in, 4 of them , all on Kenny Roberts replica RD500 (think) power-valves. NICE!!! ALL in full racing replica leathers, back then we all thought NICE! But now I think ewww, GAY!
 Anyway, these guys knee sliders were the cleanest you will ever see...blah-blah-blah......they had all taken angle grinders to them.
 Hahahahah , gotta love the poseurs.
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Bill is a boy racerTongue   I scrubbed mine in on saturday in the wind and rain!   What a hero IamLOL   Like your new friend Bill   Who's fell off on new tyres then?                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

oh... just sometimes i wish BM had a " like " button cos that post is just brill yam  Clap Clap Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Many years ago I used a hacksaw to get a 400x18 moto cross tyre into a triumph tiger cub just cut off the side bit fitted just great shed loads of grip then went and looped her pulling wheelys what a to##er  lol                                                                                                                                                                             
oldyeti's Profile
oldyeti

In: Hartlepool now
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

just ride back from garage the long way round (yep i get them to fit them) few corners n roundabouts n slowly build up (down?) the lean and then try to get as evenly worn over the next few thousand miles n repeat.   really really do not like flat bits in the middle!!                                                                                                                                                                             
kazninja's Profile
kazninja

In: nottingham

what a bloody waste of rubber lol - I like my chicken strips lol !!!!:-)                                                                                                                                                                              
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

In: grantham

i just ride..............take it steady for a couple of miles, (3 or 4) and then gradually get quicker taking in more lean and more brakes.....50 miles and done Thumbs Up

I take it the boys and girls (not knocking anyone here) have never had a new bike then? When you get a new bike, you also have to bed the brakes in, and that means NO gentle braking on new tyres!!!! But after only a few miles, the tyres are capable of this, so dont stress about it...just ride!                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

New tyres and brake pads here mungy, so why can't I brake gently?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ride gently and brake gently with new pads, they need to bed in for 60 miles at least , even more so on scored rotors!                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

ey? What the bloody hell is a scored rotor?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

the grooves and ridges in the disc caused by the pads as they wear

6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

Ah, well I don't think they would have been bad, had brakes done on a service.  I've done 40 miles but it started hail stoning so I bailed.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6399 seconds. There are 577 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption