New Tyres

23 Posts | Latest reply on 28/07/2011 21:43:32 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

I've had to have new tyres on my bike and was told they need 'scrubbing in on dry roads'. Can anyone interpret please, how long do I have to be a scrubber for?                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

New tyres are really slippy, too much power and a bit of wet and off you go Ouch, more so if you have two new tyres at the same time, hence the need for dry road rather than wet/damp ones (increases the risk of an off)   Scrubbing in just means taking the shine off your tyres, so 50 mile or so nice and easy on dry roads                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

dealers normally recommend around 100 miles, just take your time on corners, your basically just "scrubbing" the shine off the tyres etc, so dont lean right over at first just a bit at a time etc, work them in                                                                                                                                                                              
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

50 miles of dry roads, but I live in Brittain lol.  On the bright side I only ever do nice and easy so I'm ok there.   Cheers Feisty   Ian - lean?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i would say around 100, i have a friend that owns tyremedics in Barwell, he has fitted tyres for me 6ypsy, and he says around 100 miles, but if you just want to do 50 thats up to you .                                                                                                                                                                              
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Continentals don't need scrubbing in because they don't use release agents in their moulds. Don't worry about it jac just ride with caution and to the road conditions. You'll be fine.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

http://www.cameronautotech.co.uk/tyres%20text.htm

Also says about 100 miles to clean off the residue that is left from the releasing agent, taking it easy, there will be dry days ... At some point lol

Reading continentals web site, some of thier tyres do need to be scrubbed in still so I would say ... If in doubt, do the 100 miles
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

Do take it easy for a good 100 miles if poss on nice dry roads and then grad increase lean angle etc,def do not go out in the wet with new tyres!                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Jac just relax, you'll have more trouble being tense. Don't ride like a lunatic but you don't anyway no probBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

I fully agree with yamahama just take it steady and you will be fine most probs start with going into islands fast with hard braking same on corners just relax and stay off the white lines                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

No probs with not braking hard, I don't go fast enough for that.   Thanks all for your info, I'm hoping we get some dry (and calm) time on Sunday or more likely Monday so I can get scrubbing.   Clay Cross to Matlock Bath and back 5 times should just about do 100 mile lol.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

well ive just been out on my new harley and booootiful she is - i have two new tyres and i didnt realise that it had to be dry roads!!   anyhow i managed to scrape footpeg going round a roundabout so i think i need to be a bit more steady when go out tmrw as it wstoday in raind!! its been rainign today all day - so my tyres probs aint even begun to scrub in yet!!!   strong note to self - dont keg it over or you may be over! Wink till tyres are scrubbed in on DRY roads !!                                                                                                                                                                             
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

No knee down or your arse will follow, for 100 or so miles.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

wet or dry i think means just take it easy for 100 miles                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

You can scrub them in in quite a short mileage really, the 100 mile bit is no maxing on speed keep the heat down, when the tyres are made a bit  of air can be trapped in the compound, too hot to fast means possible distortion. Thats what the tyre bloke told me yonks ago.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Gotta agree with Harry here, it isn't just getting the realease agent off new tyres it's building up heat cooling cycle that also makes them work properly and consiquently grip better.                                                                                                                                                                             
snowman701's Profile
snowman701

In: cheshire

first post on here , so hi to everyone. new tyres release an agent out of them so scrubbing in is the wrong word as some people say to use sandpaper or a file on them ( does not work )you do need be carefull but i tend to find a couple of laps ( do track days )wet or dry and tyres are fine , as for road use , use as normal and it will be fine , 23 years of riding and never come of due to new tyres ...
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i was a bike dispatch rider for a while   new rubber   was a regular thing we used to rub the shine off with sand paper just enough to do the job     we were far to busey to take it easy for a 100 miles                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

as i have said before sandpaper and yes it does work for me                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

ready Greasy Tony post on page 3 of the: Scrubbing in new tyres :topic

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 638 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption