Kids at rallies

31 Posts | Latest reply on 06/02/2011 21:46:47 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Im not sure if anybody has asked this question, but if not . How do we feel about kids at rallies?????

This is one that gets debated and debated its like Marmite you either love um or hate um lol

I have always thought that it isn't the place for kids well the little ones anyway, I know people are going to jump on me now ooops but that's how I feel... The day time is great for them to come along to local rallies see the bikes games etc. but once its dark, Iv seen so many little kids wandering around on there own in the dark it scares the heck out of me.  I know we all need to have fun and cant always find sitters , but you don't need kids to see adults pissed !!!and as for parents that tell people to watch there language in front of the kids , cheek lol
I was told I would change my mind once I had kids and couldn't get a sitter, but I didn't I just stayed away!! I take them to the local ones in the day then take them home at night and take them to bike shows etc. Im sure there are parents who do stay sober at night and look after the kids and that's what makes it such a difficult question to answer 

Anyway what do you think ?????????????????????

axomoxia's Profile
axomoxia

In: camberley

I don't have a problem with kids at rallies - they always seem to quite capable of amusing themselves in a non irritating fashion and be having more fun than the adults! 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I think it is down to individual cases.  If my kids were prone to running round like loonies then I wouldn't take them to rallies at all because I don't want them making a nuisance of themselves and spoiling things for others, but as I have no possibility of sitters etc. I am in the "stay away" category otherwise.   It does depend on the rally though as well I suppose.  Some are family friendly and some, quite clearly, are not.  Most, if not all, of the events organised by the Brum events team are family friendly - except for the pub nights obviously.  As such, people do tend to watch their language etc. out of respect for other members.   My older two are happy to pilly so I don't have a problem there and they have full kit etc., but my youngest isn't in that category yet so unfortunately I will be missing out on quite a bit this year but that's what happens when you're a parent.    I think if I had the option I wouldn't take the kids to rallies simply because it is my chance to relax and enjoy being me, but as I don't have the choice I just have to be selective about what I do or don't attend.                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Shaza this one was aired in 09 & caused quite a stir, with the differences of opinion.. As you say yourself it,s a great place for kids to enjoy themselves supervised in the daytime, see the bikes etc... But for some the thought of little un,s at a rally at nightime!!..No go area...For myself I personally wouldn,t have wanted my kids at a rally at night time, it,s a time basically for 'let your hair down' with the growed up folk, and for me having to be on your guard against foul language, taking a step back & falling over someones little angel, just doesn,t cut it..However if a rally had it,s own seperate marquee for mum, dad & little un,s of an evening..different kettle...                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The separate marquee for the kids and parent would be a great idea, never seen that but been away for a while with the kids lol

I was in a bike club 13 years ago and we put on rallies every year, we catered for the kids in the day but nothing at night. Friends with kids would put them to bed then stay outside the tent having a drink with friends, and that I think is a good way to go.  I used to spend most of the night sending kids away from the bomb fire!!!!!   There again Im a soft arse when it comes to kids and they would worry me sick hehe                                                                                                                                                                             
gatvol's Profile
gatvol

In: Aylesbury

A seperate marquee for mum, dad and little ones?  So mum and dad still can't really let their hair down.  There should be a handy sound proof cage for kids in the evening....

Considering mine isn't really THAT interested in bikes I wouldn't take him.  He would probably annoy the hell out of me and I don't like being drunk around him.  Besides that, it would be a chance to get away from being a parent for a day or two at least.

But seeing as I can never get someone to mind him, its all theory for the next couple of years.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Well my lad wouldnt be bothered but my daughter loves bikes, I wouldnt take her to the bulldog, but wouldnt have a issue at the mcn and she is going to the barmouth rallie, but even at rallies like the k.i.s.s/mcn/barmouth, i will not be drinking as i have stopped, so i wouldnt have a issue taking my kids, what i do have a issue with is parents that go, get drunk and either dont look after there kids or expect others to look after them, i think the organisers need to state whether its a kid friendly rallie, as safety standards needs to be higher if kids are there aka, making sure they dont go out of the camp if they do wonder off, plus big bonfires need to policed more, and activities at night need to be vetted a bit more....but its simple to me, either its a kid friendly rallie or not, but i for one would never take my kids to a rallie where i know its gonna be a mad one, plus if it is a family rallie and people are overstepping the mark you can ask them to tone it down, where if its a lively one and you have just took ya kids there then people are quite within there rights to tell you to do one !!!
old red's Profile
old red

Sort of hit the proverbial nail there gat..*so mum & dad still can,t really let their hair down*..For me mums & dads that want to 'let their hair down' at a rally i.e get pissed, shouldn,t be bringing the little un,s with them anyway!! Hence the idea of a seperate marquee where they can 'chill' with a drink & other parents with their kids & have a sociable drink.. As you say your circumstances are different..A rally for you would be a break from your little fella..Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

When I started on the events team I looked around the site and saw there were alot of single parents that couldn't go to things due to being a parent, so we try and make events as child friendy as poss and I think that's why we have had good numbers at camps and days out, we have had the coments about kids should not be there but I must say I have not had any complaints after any event so the few that have issues with kids have ether not noticed them or had so much of a good time that it didn't matter so if anybody has kids and wonts to go to our events camps etc drop 1 of us a pm and will make you welcome. If anybody has a child with special needs let us know events can be tailored to fit
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

couldnt agree more JPThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

I see kids at a rally an excuse to behave like a big kid myself and get away with it lol

LIke JP has said we try to make as many of our events family freindly so that those who dont have the luxury of babysitters can still join in, we are having a tenpin bowling night at the end of Feb and kids are more than welcome, as they are at Barmouth camp.  Yes there are exceptions to the rule with rallies, but at the end of the day its each to their own :)
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york

when my kids were little i stayed at home to look after them,, now im older and have the chance to let my hair down im damn sure i dont want them with me,, kids and biker rallys dont mix, they are adult pastimes and should stay that way, there has to be somewhere the grownups can go without feeling obligated to put up with other peoples kids.there are tons of things you can do with your kids , this isnt one of them.
JP's Profile
JP

96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Boody when you say biker rallys are adult pastimes I maybe a bit thick but spending a weekend with your mates camping and listerning to good music a ride out  fun un games and relaxing from the everyday stress of life dont see what the problem is but each to there own if you dont like to spend your time with kids around thats your choice
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york

yes it is my choice jp and i beleive this thread was started by someone asking for opinions that was mine so,,,,,,,and as i have read all the posts on here most days i see you yourself are never without an opinion!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

This is always going to be a vilotile topic as everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it and we all should respect that.                                                                                                                                                                              
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

In: Consett

vilotile  SPELLING POLICE

LOL

old red's Profile
old red

Well spitted DynaClown                                                                                                                                                                             
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

I don't have any children, but have been to many rallies where they have been welcomed. IMO, it is up to the parents to decide based upon their knowledge of what the rally is going to be like etc...   Also IMO.....Don't stop children experiencing the thrill of belonging to the Biker Community.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I agree BL, and i have been at rallies where the adults act like children and the children like adults ie behaving !!! If you do take your kids just stay sober and still be parents !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
jabecs's Profile
jabecs

In: London

I have been to some of the smaller rallies / meets / camping weekends with kids and as long as parents are responsible for them and keep them in check I dont have a problem with them being there.

However this is not always the case and at 01:00 am I dont expect to see kids under 12 still up and running around shouting (parents joining in as well) on last day of camping when most of us have to be up earlyish for possibly long ride home thats the last thing you wanna hear when you perhaps wanna good nights sleep.

I have 2 kids (albeit grown up) and I would look at type of camp/rally etc before bringing them and make sure they have a good time without becoming a problem for other people its a balancing act but not impossible.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8130 seconds. There are 836 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption