Motorbikes 'to get safe driving aids'

26 Posts | Latest reply on 28/01/2011 11:57:39 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Hellraiser's Profile
Hellraiser

In: Herefordshire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406What a load of sh*t.  Who on earth would rely on a computer to tell you if its safe to overtake or if theres a sharp bend ahead.  If you look over your shoulder before changing lane and read the road ahead you will see if there is a bend ahead.  I think its just a fluffy project to get some research money.  Im in half a mind to email the company doing it and give them a peice of my mind.                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

Personally I think the money would be better spent on concepts for cars, to make the cage drivers more aware of motorcycles.  Most motorcycle accidents are caused by thoughtless/inconsiderate/stupid/brainless drivers.                                                                                                                                                                              
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

I'm with you on that one Drift !!  Everything seems to get put on bikers for  better training, make yourself visable etc etc etc

old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

An onboard computer that keeps cages stopped at junctions if it senses a biker approaching from either side would be an idea.. As to sensing bends etc & slowing you down!! How many dead ends does sat-nav send you down!Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

brilliant idea red, can you imagine the amount of car drivers that would come to a sudden halt if a bike was approaching....  Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tec...y-12266406                                                                                                                                                                              
old red's Profile
old red

From the short clip they show, I gather it lets you know when a car is about to hit you!! And that,s it..Awesome technology! IMO research money should be spent educating car drivers, perhaps a c.d sent out with every car tax reminder showing some of the stupid things car drivers do that put bikers in particular at risk, make it part of driver training at times of year when the majority of bikes are on the road.  There are so many 'safety' gadgets being installed in modern cars nowadays I,m suprised drivers have time to actually concentrate on safe driving...     This is the random rant thread innit??Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

This is from the people who brought you the seat that vibrated if you exceeded the speed limit. Rather than all this high tech warning garbage that demands your attention like a spoilt brat, how about technology to stabilise the bike when you give them a burst from the 20mm that should be fitted instead.
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

The safety systems created a "bubble" of awareness around a rider Continue reading the main story Related stories'Road train' trials get rollingHi-tech drives the future of carsGoogle tests 'intelligent' carsMotorbikes could soon be sporting collision detection and other safety features more usually found on cars. Research is testing ways to put these systems on motor bikes and how best to alert riders to dangers on the road. The systems tested include warnings about speed limits, the tightness of road bends and information about other vehicles to aid lane-changing. The first bike-based safety systems could be appearing on motorbikes within two years, say researchers. Proof of concept tests on the Saferider systems, as they are known, have been carried out in simulators and on road bikes by Mira (formerly known as the Motor Industry Research Association), which acts as a testing and innovation centre for carmakers. "Saferider takes the driver safety systems that are becoming standard on cars and tries to adapt them to the unique needs of motorcyclists," said Jonathan Moore, an ITS consultant at Mira, involved in the Saferider project. Statistics gathered by Mira suggest that about 22% of all road accident fatalities involve bike riders and it is the only mode of transport which is seeing a rise in the number of deaths. Mr Moore said making safety systems on motorbikes useful was "challenging" because of all the distractions to which riders were subjected. "One of the most difficult things is getting the rider's attention," he said. "There's a high level of ambient noise and vibration to deal with and we really don't want motorcycle riders looking down at the handlebars any more than they need to." AdvertisementThe Saferider system allows motorcyclists to send SOS alerts and warns of potential hazards. Video provided by engineering consultancy Mira on behalf of Saferider. Bubble wrap Mira has been investigating how to use haptic, tactile feedback systems to safely get the attention of riders and warn them about other vehicles, prepare them for the road ahead or give help at junctions. Mira engineers outfitted a Yamaha Tenere and a Triumph Sprint with the safety systems so they could be tried out on a test track. The systems include laser scanners, haptic handles and gloves, a vibrating seat, lights, smart helmet-cameras and radar as well as a pannier full of the electronics that analyse data gathered by the sensors and pump out warnings. One system tested works out if riders are travelling too fast to negotiate upcoming bends. Mira has developed software that acts as a "co-pilot" which, with the help of a digital map, knows what speed they should be travelling to make it round a bend. "One system under test based around radar constantly monitors the blind spots around and behind riders," said Mr Moore. "Vehicles behind or to one side of a bike can be hard to spot because the helmet restricts visibility and riders must remember to move their head regularly to check." "We put a motor in the cheek pad of the helmet so if you do not notice the object it will vibrate and give you a tactile warning that there's something to the right or left," said Mr Moore. The system can also help give a rider information about traffic further behind in adjoining lanes to help with overtaking or lane-changing. Motorbike collision detection systems developed by Mira warn a rider about an imminent impact and let them take action by slowing down sharply or, in the case of a vehicle travelling in the same direction as the bike, following it while slowing. The safety systems could be a boon to less experienced bike riders. "They do not give the attention to the road they should or have the experience to deal with problems," said Mr Moore. The prototypes demonstrated by Mira showed it was feasible to fit such safety systems on motorbikes, said Mr Moore. He speculated that manufacturers would start to put them on bikes within the next 18 months to two years. Saferider is a collaborative R&D effort that is part of the European Commission's Seventh Framework Programme. Participants include Mira, Yamaha, Porsche Engineering and Fema, among others. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Video also at the above link                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

So WTF do they intend to do about the drivers who just pull out of junctions-as we,ve all no doubt experienced at some point or another-I can,t imagine a piece of software being able to prevent this, unless of course your bikes gonna come down to a juddering 5 mph at every sidestreet you approach, put more emphasis on rider/driver education!
Matt's Profile
Matt

i think putting this kit on a new rider's  bike is asking for trouble.  Minimum experience 5 years before putting such kit on?   but after 5 years you should have the necessary experience to deal with these situations                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

Totally agree with you there Matt..Too much for a new rider to take on & would imagine cost would also be a major restriction for even an experienced rider to show interest in it.   So why oh why do all the 'brains' think onboard computers are gonna save us!?   Or is it all funded by our friends at Apple Mac!!                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

Seat vibrating when over the speed limit eh!! Thought that was the brainchild of one of our own dear ladies that one Cat! More fun with a 20mm & better effect, just be careful of the backflash which can occurThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

To be honest I read that item thinking ... Is it April fools already.??

WTF ... Once again it's the same old story ... All riders are unsafe and its their fault that they have accidents.

As a fairly new rider I cannot think of anything more off-putting than having my helmet vibrate cos someone is in my blind spot ... What about putting that in cars for drivers that don't look?

Tho I could see a use for us ladies for a vibrating seat PMSL !

Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I always think the muzzle flash should be considered as a conspicuity aid!Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria

Effin EU, they need to keep their bureaucratic noses out of UK biking

geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

It's not that I'm against Cat's alternative, but surely any development to make our journeys safer is a good thing?

I for one ride a bright bike and I wear a yellow jacket whilst commuting.  I could ride a black bike whilst wearing black leathers and a black helmet and I could even over-ride the headlight permanently on facility of my bike.  I even considered doing these things but then remembered that I'm allergic to sudden death!                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

Why oh why is it always down to the motorcyclist to make sure that someone doesn't hit you !! 
These idiots at the EU seem to forget that where humans are involved any sort of stupidity is possible so it cannot possibly predict every situation and what if it predicts wrongly and causes you more problems than you started with?   How about re-training for all drivers every 5 or 10 years?? wouldn't cost a penny to the government as you would have to pay (therefore they make money) and if you dont take the test your insurance is tripled!!                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

In 2008 the number of motorcyclists killed or seriously injured in the UK in accidents that also involved cars was 2,865.  However the number of KSIs in single vehicle accidents was 1,347.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublicat...gstats2009

So, about a third of all motorcycle KSIs involve no other party whatsoever!

Also, in 41% of all motorcycle KSIs, failing to look properly, loss of control and failing to judge other person's path or speed were all considered contributory factors attributable to the motorcyclist.

So I think that any research into offering us more information whilst we are on the road is research well worth doing.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 960 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption