Virago trouble.....engine seized?

22 Posts | Latest reply on 26/01/2011 17:02:25 by drobess | Go to original / last post
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

In: wolverhampton
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi, I have a XV535 (yamaha virago) 91 plate and i bought it a few weeks ago.   I got it thru MOT and then stored it in my hubby's van for a few nights then when i got it out i stored it in the garden for 2-3 nights and went out every day to let it tick over for a few minutes but it smelt very strong of exhaust fumes.   On day 3 i put fresh fuel in and revved it about 4 times (off choke), every time i released the rev it was puffing out white/silver smoke then on the 4-5th rev it seemed to stop dead and went pop I have had a mate take starter motor off and that is fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??                                                                                                                                                                               
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Busted  lol has it been lay on it's side                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

i thought loon had diagnosed it Paula ?, i best come have a look as planned i think...                                                                                                                                                                              
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

LOL jp It hasn't been on it side as far as i am aware?? not while i have had it no, the guy who i bought it off had it stored in his garage for about 3 months maybe longer??                                                                                                                                                                             
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

Loon said one of three things Ian, one being seized engine but he said post on here and i might get some more ideas                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

seems like i need to come for that cuppa !!!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

heehee, i'm sure i sort that out :)                                                                                                                                                                             
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

In: grantham

i take it it would not start again?                                                                                                                                                                             
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

no mung, it just clicked like a flat battery                                                                                                                                                                              
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

Could the engine be turned over by bumping? or even just rocking the bike back and forth in gear....you will know if the engine turns. Or if the bike has a center stand by turning the back wheel....make sure the ignition is off but in a gear.                                                                                                                                                                             
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

i should add that if you are apprehensive about what i had just suggested, wait til your mates turn up to have a play Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

White smoke is usually a sign of water/moisture in the cylinders.

However the XV535 is air cooled and so there clearly isn't a problem with coolant etc.  You say fresh fuel.  Is there any chance of water contamination in the fuel?

Otherwise it could be a condensation issue although this usually sorts itself out after a few minutes.  After cold nights for example I get a fair bit of white smoke when I start my bike on a morning caused by condensation inside the exhaust system.  But it clears after a few minutes and doesn't cause any running issue.

A smell of petrol is usually due to flooding (unlikely in this case) or an issue with the float bowl on one of more of your carbs.  It could be that the float is sticking.  Try just tapping the float bowls with a screwdriver or similar.                                                                                                                                                                             
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

wouldn't bump mung, rear wheel just kept locking :(                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Ah - just posted after spending some time composing my post (above) and as such didn't see the post about the bike no longer turning over.

As Mung says, be careful about trying to bump a potentially seized engine.  Possibly a safer method would be to take the spark plugs out (therefore no compression) and to try turning the crank as if you were checking the timing.                                                                                                                                                                             
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

Wot geoff said ... take plugs out.

Also , an oil change might tell a few tails.                                                                                                                                                                             
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

i am no mechanic, i dont even have a spark plug remover tool lol ...my mate said he will look at it for me but i gotta get it over to him so i think i am taking it to brum on wednesday :)                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

Did it rattle when it was running ?  Possibly a dropped valve, or broken ring.                                                                                                                                                                              
Pilly tart's Profile
Pilly tart

don't remember hearing a rattle drift

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i can get there P, but prob on sat if thats ok, but will have to bring my daughter with me !!                                                                                                                                                                              
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

it has been suggested to me by my female fellow virago riider to chech out wot i put below    
I wonder if it could be the side stand cut out as they are prone to getting damp in them and then stopping the bike from starting

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7500 seconds. There are 925 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption