ZX7R Tyres

21 Posts | Latest reply on 29/01/2011 09:53:48 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi to all on the site!

Need to replace the tyres on my (mechanically) standard zx7 ninja. At the mo, it has a (shredded) avon on the rear, and a bridgestone touring tyre on the front - something like a bt10..

Needless to say, the handling is abysmal..

I don't do track days, but then I won't be using it for touring either. I want something that will grip well in the wet, not square off after 1000miles, and won't loose their heat if I'm stopped at the lights for more than a few seconds..!

My friends all recommend pirelli - as does the chap who works in our local Busters (although none can agree on which one). My only experience of them is on my gpz600, which had bt45s to begin with, then fitted speed demons. They were more stable at higher speeds.. but the slightest bit of moisture or cold made them threaten to slide the bike out from under me. After much less than 1k miles, they had flatted in the middle, while still having the moulding pins on the sides..

I realise both of these tyres are 'old' technology now, but can't afford to replace them on the zx if I buy the wrong ones. Anyone got any advice..?

Cheers,
Ken
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Round black You will never get the answer on tyres, thay are a personal like or dislike                                                                                                                                                                             
kazninja's Profile
kazninja

In: nottingham

bridgestone 023 dunlop sportsmart                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

yup got black round uns on mine too. In the four years i've been on here, i've never seen anyones question answered about which tyres they think they should have. you'll end up with about 20 different answers. And everyone claiming the tyres they use are by far the best. If your set on perelli's then go with their recommendation. I don't know anyone that always uses the same make. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I've always had Bridgestones on my zx9, but the Avon storms are getting some good write ups. Welcome to BM and a good choice of bike too. :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

pirelli diablo,s on my zx7r , warm up quick , and have total faith in them in the wet..                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Paulo as some of the above posts have said it a personal thing really,i use metzlers on my gixer andn that was my choice mate.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi Kendo,   Like others have said tyres are such personal thing, but my recommendation would be either Pirelli Corsa III (3 compound)   I have these on my GSXR and they grip really well on wet damp cold roads, and are even better on warm sunny days, or.....   Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Michelin Power 2CT had both on my SP and they both offer amazing levels of grip wet or dry, if you want longevity opt for the road 2,   Hope this helps,                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

kawasaki recommend bridgestones and theyre my personal fav on my 7r but currently running pirellis (as they were a donation) and they are ok even in the wet.                                                                                                                                                                             
Weirdoraptor's Profile
Weirdoraptor

In: Brough, E. Yorks

Different riders / riding styles / requirements / suspension settings / confidence levels  etc.  all get thrown in to the equation when buying tyres.  There is no "correct" tyre for a bike, only for the rider. If you use the bike for day to day commuting in towns and stuff, then the RR type fast road/race tyres are a waste of money 'cos they hardly ever get hot enough to work properly.  I've been through loads of those types of tyres over the years (part worn from mates who race),  and they've always made me nervous on cold or wet days.  I fitted a pair of (new) Avon storm ultra 2's last year and found levels of grip and confidence in the wet that i hadn't had for years.  They may not be right for everyone, but they suit me, and they are FAR better than i am!                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice - I wasn't expecting this much of a response so soon!

Not had the bike very long (a few months) so what's on it came with it. Barely used it yet, as the rear (avon) is shredded down to the canvas (and the weather, too). Of course, this is the wrong time of year to be scrubbing in a new set of tyres, but it really needs them, so I'll just have to be extra cautious..!

Used to be an all-weather biker, but these days I only really ride for fun, and my daily commute is on four wheels (this obviously affects my tyre choice).

Still not completely made my mind up, so I'm going to have at look around at Wheelhouse tyres. Bridgestone are good, but (to me) the rears always seem better than the fronts (doing a ton on the gpz was hairy). Only had Michelins the once, and vowed never again..

Thing is, most of my biking was done years ago, and mainly on strokers. Of course, tyre technology has moved on since then. And unfortunately, my other current bike (gpz) still uses some of the older tech - being a rare rim size - so I haven't really experienced what modern tyres can do..

Pirelli have been some of the worst and best tyres I've had in the past (my old LC used to love 'em). The gpz likes em when it's warm and dry (127 flat out, with barely a wobble), but the slightest bit of damp or cold and they're like teflon. Also, they're very 'neutral', and slow the turn-in considerably. Whereas the Brigestones (bt45s) were very flickable, and made it feel more like a 125 than a 600. Very predictable in the wet, too.. 

Choices, choices..

But I do know one thing - I won't ever sell my 7r, and I'll never get tired of the sound she makes. I've never heard an engine like it!

Ken
(ninja for life)
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

you're dead on about the sound! Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

Have ya seen his bike in his profile kwakgirl,, absolutely stunning, you should be proud of it Ken                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes mate, I am proud. Cheers..!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

have you looked into maxxis tyres, there supposed to be really good                                                                                                                                                                              
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

yes WB its very nice even though it aint green!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'd heard something along those lines, Ianhb. I'm little dubious about not going for one of the 'main' brands, if you know what I mean?
I think it's down to two, or possibly three makes..

wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

I had Maddox on my old gpz500. They were ok but didn't like the wet at all, they were fine though just for commuting on. That was about 10 years ago though and I believe they have come a long way since then.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I know what you mean, WB. I took a trip to Wheelhouse tyres earlier, and they basically said, 'anything made recently will be good enough'.

That said, he advised against the Avons, and the older Dunlops. He also said there were better tyres than the bt016's for the same (or less) money (they were one of the ones I was considering), and recommended the brand new Dunlop (which I hadn't considered), and a couple of Pirelli. He also reckoned the PP2ct's were ok, but around five years old now, and had been superseded by Dunlop..

Hmmn.. I think I'm just gonna go down next week and get 'some' tyres..!

Thanks again to all for their comments and kind words..  Thumbs Up

Ken

DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

Tyre choice as I think has been said is all down to personal choice and how you ride.  Most modern tyres will be fine for modest riders.  If you tend to ride a bit "fast" in all weathers then the Diablo Supercorsa is a great tyre.  If you don't ride much in the wet and ride very fast in the dry, then I'd recommend, Metzeller Racetecs but steer clear of Dunlops if your fast.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 936 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption