Riding abroad for the first time

34 Posts | Latest reply on 25/01/2011 16:13:06 by Big Al.. | Go to original / last post
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

In: Birmingham
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

bump                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

OH!  i am never wrong Smile   REFLECTIVE JACKETS & WARNING TRIANGLES IN FRANCE
The French Road Safety Department has confirmed that:

From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle.

This regulation, which we understand does not apply to two and three wheeled vehicles, will be enforced with on-the-spot fines of

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

France you have to have your lights on, and Tbh, the standard to driving in France is head and shoulders above the UK, the roads are better, cars actually don't pull out into the outside lane (unless they have Uk plates and a caravan in tow) and every time i return to the Uk after a French trip i'm appallled at the manners and abilities of other road users.   Just be aware on roundabouts on some you have priority, and when you fist arrive don't forget to check left then right other than right, then left but once you've been there a couple of days it will fall into place... and you will have a blast,   If it's yor first foreign adventure, have a blast, as I'm sure you will forsure.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Totaly aggree B R,  french drivers far more aware of bikers than nobheads over here,                                                                                                                                                                               
suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

In: Wakefield

Well to my cost, when i went to France, the cars were not more aware! I got taken out by a French driver, who got his friends to come along very quickly and one of them took his driving seat. Drunk? No idea! I spent a week in a French hospital. Back injuries before being flown home, and bike written off. This was in a city though. And on the way home.  All in all, riding abroad was a pleasure. Great roads and less traffic. But doing 500 miles in one day was not! As we did on the way there. We were all novices abroad. Be prepared for changing weather conditions too. We experienced hot, to cool to bloody freezing.  I would recommend not doing more than 300 miles in a day. Anything more is foolish and very stressful and don't be led into doing more than you are comfortable with Stern Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

So you wouldn't recommend well over 700 miles in a day then Suzy?  Ok, won't do that again then lol!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Last time in France rode from Calais to Orange in about 10 hours i think thats about 500 miles or so and yes it was hard work sat on a CBR1000RR with a seat like a postage stamp,
And my eyes were hanging out after that aswell,                                                                                                                                                                              
suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

700 miles in a day is nuts Geoff!!!!! And Blade Rider, well at least my seat was comfy LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Suzy it wasn't so much the seat that was painful but the bar's which did my wrists in after 350-400 miles, previous Blade was like sitting on an armchair in comparison.... Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

"700 miles in a day is nuts Geoff!!"

What can I say?  I had planned on doing an overnighter in Calais, but left the hotel at the crack of dawn and got there before lunch.  So thought ... may as well keep going.

Funny thing ... got home not feeling too bad for doing 730 miles or so, so decided to relax with a film.  Don't actually remember watching it though lol!!                                                                                                                                                                             
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

In: grantham

As far as riding goes, you are on a bike, so you need not worry about other road users as you will be much quicker than them anyway.....assuming you are confident?

Enjoy the trip.... try to avoid dull motorways, check out the back roads. on a bike they are as quick but the scenery is stunning and there are plently of places to stop and you will  see a lot more of proper france.                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Also, don't forget to obtain travel insurance which covers biking, breakdown cover, the EHIC from the Post office and your green card (bike insurance).   The roads are fantastic, the locals tend to be more pro bikers and the beer is bloody expensive.   Have a great trip. I'm organising a long weekend tour to the Vosges in July. Highly recommended biking roads!!                                                                                                                                                                             
suzyamki's Profile
suzyamki

Break down cover a must, so is health insurance, though EHIC comes in well handy. Roads are fantastic! For me doing it on a cruiser is the only way to go for long distance travel tho Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Suzyamki, don't you find cruisers wreak your lower back after an hour or so?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 611 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption