How Many Lessons....

36 Posts | Latest reply on 30/01/2011 18:22:16 by Big Al.. | Go to original / last post
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Most advanced training is actually based upon the Police Rider's manual. Obviously we shouldn't be riding like a copper on call, but this is only a very small part of their riding skills. I'd be impressed to see the average "experienced" rider having the low speed skills of a copper, I know I haven't!

One last thing ... is that a dummy on the floor over there lol?
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Can you fry a perfect egg? I can because I was taught by a chef. My mum who has been frying eggs for 50 years (not constantly, she does other things) can't do it as good as me because the only way she knows is her way. She refuses to learn the 'chef's way' because she already knows how to fry an egg.

hmmm perfect for who tho ??? 

Perfection ... as with beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just because one person says its perfect only means it is so in that persons opinion ... just as with passing your riding test ... some examiners will mark you down for filtering ... others will say it shows progression & confidence in your riding skills ... some will mark you down if you are signalled out into traffic by another driver ... some will say it shows you know what other drivers mean... 

No dummy Geoff ... just pointing out that you cannot lump everyone into the same category just because its your opinion does not make it right, no matter how strongly you feel it you cannot turn round & say that someone is a bad rider & riding by the skin of their pants just because they have not had extra training  ... as you are allowed your opinion  ... so is everyone else Thumbs Up

Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

I had a feeling you'd comeback with 'perfection is a matter of taste argument'.   Is there anyone out on the roads who is a superior rider to you?   If the answer is 'no' then obviously you can't benefit from training but the rest of us could benefit from you training us.   If the answer is 'Yes' then there is someone out there who could pass on a few useful tips through further training to improve your riding.                                                                                                                                                                                     
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I did about 15 hours in 3 stints for my module 1 and about 10 hours for my module 2, again in 3 blocks. I'd recommend learning in about 5 hour spells. The theory test, I just bought the dvd from asda and did mock test, after mock test. Now I'm addicted to it like it's a bloody pub quiz.

It's good to know that someone who did so much training who has only recently passed and who has never seen me ride can come out with such a sweeping statement that I am either a superior or a crap rider!

Tell me what training did you undertake to be able to know that?

I may be inexperienced (like you I passed recently) that does not mean I need lessons ... It does not mean I do not learn whilst riding ... If you look back you will see my comment that I am still learning ... Again it doesn't mean I need lessons.

Tell me ... Are you a perfect son? .... Or are you taking lessons???
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Well it's horses for courses on this one, but I have to say that imo practice makes perfect (as much as possible) not training. There's a limit to how much someone else can show you. If you feel capable of passing your test take it, if you're not don't.

Once you get out on the road you can carry on learning, by practice, riding out with others, or extra training, whatever suits you best, but don't get hung up on being 'perfect'. If you are the sort of person who wouldn't do anything if you're in danger of not being perfect at it, let's face it, you wouldn't be after the buzz of riding a bike.

Just be aware that you have to look out for yourself, and don't ride like a loon unless you are happy to die! Not being morbid, just pragmatic.

As for Blues not being able to take criticism, he's one of the few BMers that I've ridden with and I have none to give. I am a relatively inexperienced rider myself but I didn't find his riding to be worrying or intimidating. I doubt he thinks he's perfect, just the best he can be.

And fried eggs, get real! How can you fry an egg perfectly? Omelette, now there's the test...
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

I wasn't saying you need lessons shell, or anyone else does for that matter. I'm just saying don't dismiss the value of further training.   The part about superior rider was a question, not a 'sweeping statement', used to highlight the fact that you'll probably come somewhere between the two extremes. Some people will benfit from your experience and you could benefit from other peoples' experience. Training is just a formal way of passing experience and knowledge on.   Am I a perfect son? Wasn't Norman Bates a perfect son?   Oh yeah, 6ypsy, what's an omelette?                                                                                                                                                                               
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Contradiction: What's an Omelette?   From Wikipedia... An omelette or omelet is a dish made from beaten eggs quickly cooked with butter or oil in a frying pan, sometimes folded around a filling such as cheese, vegetables, meat (often ham), or some combination of the above.   Happy to help Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Is that the perfect way to cook one darling??                                                                                                                                                                              
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

I'll go find an expert.... Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

From Wikipedia... An omelette or omelet is a dish made from beaten eggs quickly cooked with butter or oil in a frying pan, sometimes folded around a filling such as cheese, vegetables, meat (often ham), or some combination of the above.   Does ham come from sheep?                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

The theatre daaaaling! lol   Hey that chefs training was rate good LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I thought the young lady was enquiring as to how many lessons peeps had taken prior to passing thier motorcycle test!! I did mine on a 3 day DAS course, but needed an extra day due to being crap at U-turns!! Fortunately just before the days of module this & module that..Overall cost of about £750..Well worth it..   As to the topic of ongoing training, yes you do indeed improve your 'skills' as you clock up the miles & if I could afford it I would love to get on a safer rider course, nothing trains you better for the pitfalls than professional training(it also lowers your ins premiumsApprove)..                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

How come bike cops can catch speeding superbikes on their big heavy police bikes?Oh yeah, they've had advanced training.

And little things called radios and helicopters !!!

If you want to spend yer money on extra training cus you feel inadequate in some way then carry on. Don't any of you presume you are in a position to judge others becouse of standard you've set yourself.

Seconded!!

kazninja's Profile
kazninja

In: nottingham

i had about 7 lessons and bought a 125 to play on too, and started in April last year, one month of bad weather, one broken arm (not bike!), and 5,500 miles later eventually passed the test - I know a lot of people think the mod 1 is useless but I learnt a lot from the slow riding and manouveres u had to do - esp at RTTW with all the other bikers - slow riding without stalling was a must.   If u can find a chaperone that is experienced too to help after lessons then thats great, I would be up for further training asI think u can never know too much to be safe :-)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I don't think the CBT is useless at all ........ BUT depends on where you take it, as in all aspects of life there are some good, some ok and some shit.

Then the learning starts !!                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Did my CBT, bought a CBR 125 spent 2 months tootling around - doing u-turns etc on industrial estates. Did my DAS over three days and passed -sold the CBR and bought BMW F800ST. Did a 2 day bikesafe course last year  -worth every penny of the £50 it cost. The purpose of bikesafe is to promote advanced training- mainly through IAM or Rospa. Recently passed my Advanced test with Coventry and Warwickshire advanced motorcyclists -  there is much to be said for advanced training. 1stly, it is an inexpensive way of gaining advanced skills (i.e. the one's that can save your bacon when on ptw), 2ndly, it provides 121 feedback and mentoring in a structured and supportive way which builds upon current skill levels and finally, there is a good social  aspect i.e. ride outs, check rides, observer training, monthly socials with guest speakers. Costs less than £50 / year - simples... Omelettes, fried eggs etc - far too deep.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 606 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption