what do you do with yours

15 Posts | Latest reply on 09/01/2011 00:49:01 by 6ypsy | Go to original / last post
DaftUn's Profile
DaftUn

In: Preston
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Had an RTA last year (bike V very big artic lorry - no guessing as to who lost Unhappy)  - my helmet tooked a bash or three as I bounced along the grass verge - I can't remember being flipped off the bike, or landing . . . I was knocked unconscious  but I reckon that helmet went to towards preventing a more serious outcome . . Consequently I'm loathed to get rid of it . . it's in its box in the attic. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do with it.... how have you recycled your unwanted helmets?                                                                                                                                                                             
YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

flickr.com/photos/54842718@N00...48/   One suggestion!                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

put it in the bin where it belongs! it probably saved your head but now its dead - better it than you.                                                                                                                                                                             
DaftUn's Profile
DaftUn

@ YID - love it! lol! But got me thinking - so I googled..... and this is what I found and what I'll be doing with mine.   "Well, there isn't any official way to recycle a motorbike helmet, but you can make sure it continues to protects people beyond it's days of active duty on the roads. How about handing your helmet in to a fire station, rescue centre or some other emergency service, so that they can practice handling motorcyclists in an accident? Using your trusty old helmet on dummies and models, emergency services and trainees can pefect the skills necessary to remove a rider's helmet safely. A great idea. Far better than landfill, and far more useful!"                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

turn it up side down and put a plant in it ,,it will remind you what it did for you..                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

sentimental clap trap el ninja LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

Offer it to the Red Cross in Preston for training use. They can use it when simulating how to remove a helmet on first aid courses. You never know it may save another life yet.   the Red Cross are in Pitman Way and ask for Ernie Walton. If he doesn't want it then send me a PM and I will grab it off you and I will pass it on to a center in Merseyside.    British Red Cross Pittman CourtPittman WayPrestonPR2 9ZG 01772 707 300                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Twin's Profile
Big Twin

In: Newark

It may be of some use to  those folk who take scooters to the sahara or other places for medical charities  in the thirld world ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Thanks for the info PP (long time no see)

Ian n I have several old helmets in the loft good idea !                                                                                                                                                                              
DaftUn's Profile
DaftUn

fyi - my helmet found a good home - the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Services Training Centre Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Damm good end DaftUn..So it carries on hopefully saving others from further injury!Thumbs Up.. Another couple of years life left in mine yet, will bear in mind it,s use in 'helmet afterlife' though..                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

put it at the side of the main road with red paint might make some folk think !!!!!  little sign saying THINK BIKE                                                                                                                                                                              
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Hooray!  Thanks for this, I have 3 helmets and won't throw any of them (not just bikegear, I'm the same with allsorts).    My teddy bears wear them for want of a better place to put them, and now I have one.                                                                                                                                                                             
aussiegeezer's Profile
aussiegeezer

In: Edinburgh

you could always put a light in it, with a tinted visor would make a great table lamp!!                                                                                                                                                                              
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Hey we could start a recycling forum like those daft articles they have in women's mags.

What about lining your old boots with pond liner to make a handy new rally tankard.

Or, saw the top off an old helmet, and you have an unbreakable bowl. :-)

Yours is quite a good one though Oz, so don't know if that can go in!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5625 seconds. There are 875 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption