Shell Fuel Saver Petrol

12 Posts | Latest reply on 07/12/2010 22:35:27 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Is there any truth in the rumour that this is bad for motorcycle engines?                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I cant remember from the ads what sort of figure they were quoting but it was a very small MPG gain from a tankful, and I thought that's another gimmick for Shell then. 
A few lads I know will only pit the optimax stuff in, but again there isn't all that more mileage to gain.
Haven't heard whether it has any rumour that its bad for an engine though.                                                                                                                                                                             
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

I have heard that some engines are tuned for 95 octane, all the stuff like optimax etc is 98+ octane.  I doubt it'll damage the engine but it might not be as efficient though.                                                                                                                                                                              
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

I can't tell the differance in the fazer but the Tuono realy likes the higher octane stuff. I think it helps the burn on large capacity cylinders. Not heard it's bad for m\c engines                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

it was something someone put on facebook, that it had totally done the carbs in but cant see how it could be in use if that was the case.                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

I think if there was a prob MCN would have made a big song and dance about it by now, they love that sort of thing. Are you on carbs or injection?                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale

None fuel injected bike will see a small power increase at sea level but normal Bhp at high altitudes if they are on high octane fuels but fuel injected bikes will not as they will alter themselves to suit and will stay constant with Bhp.....and before anyone says yes but i've had this done and that done....what i have written will only apply if the bike is standard with no KN's or race cans.

If you want to save fuel run the bike standard with it's emission flat spot.....as soon as you start to alter any part of the standard set up the bike will do less on MPG.

And don't use octane boosters as they don't work...fact.
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

OK been making some enquiries about this, and the consencus seems to be that it is unlikely to do your bike any harm, but on the other hand it is unlikely to make any difference to your MPG or power output, so at the end of the day is there any point in paying more for something that is only going to do the same as the cheaper stuff. Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

SmileBit more info from their own website, turns out its just the new name for their regular fuel. They claim that it will give you an extra litre (yes thats 1 litre from a tank full. Remember that that is a cars fuel tank which probably holds about 40 litres at an average so theyre not talking huge differences here.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I don't think modern bikes will suffer. There has been some cause for concern in the classic world, as those who have lined their tanks have found that the lining has been taken of by the ethanol in the modern fuel.  From what I can gather ethanol is the green stuff they can put in petrol up to 10%.  A lot modern engine systems will also compensate for higher octane fuel resulting in no noticeable affect, but is alleged that it contains better additives.    
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I thought the fuel saver was just its normal one but they had lowered the price?

Its all I put in my SV & since its service get 60mpg from Shell & about 55 from cheaper ones                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

From what I know of these thing's you gain nothing in using a higher octane or Super unleaded petrol all it does is empty your wallet quicker,                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5469 seconds. There are 2072 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption