Mystery tyre deflation

15 Posts | Latest reply on 12/10/2010 18:44:02 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

In: Ripon
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Couple of weeks back had the bike out for a blast down to Squires then to the Sun Inn and home again , topped up tyre pressures before setting off , all was ok when i parked the bike up in the garage , didn't use the bike again till 4 days later , was a lovely sunny day so thought i'd take the bike to work for a change , not this time tho the front tyre was completely deflated , following night after work pumped the tyre back up again, couldn't hear any hissing and no visible signs of a puncture , have had the bike out for a few blasts on a night after work just to see if the tyre was going down while the bike was being ridden , the tyre has not deflated again since . Any ideas on this mystery tyre deflation , got me baffled as i live on my own and only me that has access to the garage
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Jock I had the same thing with a car a couple of years back and it happened every so often for over a year until I got the tyre changed. It turned out it was a tiny bit of corrosion on the rim where the bead sits. The garage said it was intermittent cos it depends where the corrosion was positioned when I parked up. If it was at the top it leaked and at the bottom it pushed harder on the bead with the weight, stopping the leak.

If it keeps happening it might be worth taking the tyre off and cleaning the rim with a soft wire brush or abrasive paper. Thats what the garage did and it never leaked again Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

Am hoping it doesn't happen again Terry , got a 425mile ride on Friday . Gonna put a small paint mark on the tyre to note it's position when parked up to see if it does go down in a certain position . Cheers for the info                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Hi Jock, what RK has said is a distinct possibility. Corrosion between the rim & tyre is a very common occourrence. As the tyre in question is your front one .. .. I would not even think about carrying on riding it without having the tyre removed for a check and a clean up of the rim. At least with the rear, you got half a chance of staying in control should you get an unexpected deflation. With an unexpected deflation on the front, that chance is reduced considerably.   got a 425mile ride on Friday   Your user name suggests that you may not always ride in a sedate manner. Now chuck in the variable of an unexpected deflation on the front tyre .............................................................                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Well mine never ever went down while I was driving, only ever when it was left standing overnight so if it's the same thing it should hopefully be ok mate                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Just possable that the valve had not reseated correctly on 1st time and let air though slowly then on 2nd time reseated                                                                                                                                                                              
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

thinking jpharley's valve suggestion could be more like the problem , as it's on painted alloy rim . Got the day off on Thurs so will go down to Ripon tyres n get it checked to be on the safe side . GT it was once suggested that i should change my username to 'supersonicjock', lol can't think why tho !!!
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

I know its messy but still put a bit of spit on the valve head and check before putting dust cap on,  I use truck caps as thay have sealing rubbers so if the valve leaks you dont get a flat                                                                                                                                                                             
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

great idea with the truck caps , will have to get some                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I noticed after getting tyre changed(front) they put new valve in,the caps arnt deep enough so when on they were touching the valve stem over days tyre loses pressure, so could be the same,try the truck caps  .                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Perhaps it's just me breaking into your garage and letting your tyres down for a laugh?

lol                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Its the dust mites finding somewhere to sleepTongue                                                                                                                                                                             
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

i wouldn't put that past ya Geoff lol .                                                                                                                                                                              
laimdan's Profile
laimdan

In: Manchester

ive had this on push bikes and motorcycles just put it down to muc in the valve,let a good long blast of air out of the valve,that should make sure its cleared                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Same same some shit in the valve one thing as well when you get your tryre changed make sure you get the valves done they do give out and not all tyre places do it as standard.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 833 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption