Bike salt corrosion

18 Posts | Latest reply on 07/10/2010 23:08:34 by guzzi-rob | Go to original / last post
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Ideas wanted here, if anyone can help! I'm working on a 07 Deauville, with 144k on the clock, an ex courier bike which has been used in all weathers,.. and by the looks of it, never washed!    This bike is sat on my bench leaking water (clear, but salty) at a rate of about half an egg cup full a day!!!!! It's coming from everywhere  from the front mudguard, to the tail-lights, and everywhere in between, including the switch gear,.. the little crystals of salt are also present but only on the alloy parts.    Has anyone come across a bike that does this as bad as this thing is doing?.. the garage has a fairly low (steady) temperature, and neither of my other bikes leak like this thing is doing, and none of my previous 70+ ones have either, (same garage)! I'm currently cleaning the crud off it with brass wool and diesel, and removing the  useless/dangerous/worn out bits off it.     So I'm after ideas how I can stop it leaking like this, (spraying something on it maybe), but keeping it safe when it eventually gets back out on the road again, (so oil is obviously out of the question).                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

so have you dipped your finger into this salty egg cup mixture paj to find out ? lol           as for the treatment what about putting Wax oil in the frame ?                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

When you say it's salty paj, i'm presuming you haven't licked it. my guess is the white crystals on the alloy bits is probably oxides forming on the bare metal due to the damp. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

I first noticed this water running down the bench and onto the steel floor, it made it go rusty in 10-15 mins,.. so yeah,.. I had to have a little taste!    I've never had a lot of faith in 'Wax-oil' Neal,.. and when this stuff is coming off the plastic bits, and the wheels too, I'm wondering if there is any new stuff out there that's been invented!    When I hit the rad with WD-40 a lot of water came out of there, and now the crystals are on the plastic below that too,... grr.                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

and you paid money for this bike paul ?   just a thought though mate if there is any damp in the garage  then the salt crystals on the frame would draw the moister in wouldnt it so best thing to do would be to give it a good wash down with soapy water and get rid of of the salt first  !                                                                                                                                                                              
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

Hehe, well I didn't say how much it was did I! You'll see it this winter sometime or next spring anyway. Its getting a good clean now, but like I said, with a diesel/cleaner mix, (not as brutal, or expensive as 'Pro-clean), but good enough for this thing.    
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

chuck it in a skip and get an R1!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

Yes Julie, but I like going more than 20 miles between sore @rse, wrist, arm, neck and shoulder, breaks! And I think your R1 may be a tad dearer to insure, than the £140 it costs me for all of my fleet! Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

I will have you know mister that i can manage a good tankfull before needing to stop and as soon as i can reach the levers things should be quite comfy and as for the insurance a couple of extra days work a year and thats it sorted!   so are ya gonna get one then? Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

A good tank full, hmm, I wonder how far that is? And haven't you got them levers sorted out yet,... that's a fairly important safety one there,. been able to control the little red missile!!    And don't get excited, I ain't getting a plastic missile or whatever they are called!                                                                                                                                                                              
limeninja9's Profile
limeninja9

In: Liverpool

Try some ACF50 matey,,, brilliant stuff!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Oh Paul you've broken something else, you clumsy bugger Tongue Wink LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

wow mate it really dose look bad http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/cgi-bin/thumbnail.aspx?width=180&height=180&source=/sites/bm/profiles/uploads/23266_bm_1_bm_5205995241.jpg&type=JPG                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

Oi !!!!!!!!!!!  That was my bike that was !!!  I thought u were gonna fix it up for me!

hee hee

yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Give it a good hose down on a warm sunny day. There might be one left if you're lucky.                                                                                                                                                                              
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

get a brillo on it  works wonders on my pans                                                                                                                                                                              
invalid characters's Profile
invalid characters

In: West Sussex
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Given the health warnings ref' salt EW, I'm a bit surprised you use enough to-be a problem!Wink                                                                                                                                                                              
guzzi-rob's Profile
guzzi-rob

In: London

Give it a clean with Muc off to get the salt off it then a good spray with ACF 50 but not on the brakes!                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5940 seconds. There are 1236 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption